Clydebuilt: The Ships That Made the Commonwealth : BBC4

Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
Forum Member
✭✭✭
At one time you could rely on BBC4 for "adult" documentaries, sadly not any more.
This one was pitched at "Blue Peter/The One Show level" and presented by the "constantly in your face" Scottish actor David Hayman.
I gave up after ten fifteen minutes as it was so dumbed down and laboured.

Comments

• stv viewerstv viewer Posts: 17,549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This was previously shown on BBC 2 Scotland earlier this year. I thought it was OK but not the best documentary I had ever seen.
  • valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We've seen all that cross Atlantic cable stuff before on Coast.
  • CentaurionCentaurion Posts: 2,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The episode about the [ rather tenuous ] link with the Titanic disaster was quite good.

Hayman enthuses a wee bit too hard for my liking, and being from BBC Scotland it's designed for home consumption so the facts are a bit skewed to swell the chests of proud Scots who long for the glory days of Rickets, Impetigo and Slums.

I'm sure the good folk of Belfast, Tyneside, Liverpool and Southhampton would argue that they also made lots of ships that "Made the Commonwealth"
  • Heston VestonHeston Veston Posts: 6,495
    Forum Member
    At one time you could rely on BBC4 for "adult" documentaries, sadly not any more.
    This one was pitched at "Blue Peter/The One Show level" and presented by the "constantly in your face" Scottish actor David Hayman.
    I gave up after ten fifteen minutes as it was so dumbed down and laboured.

Not dumbed down at all. Each of the four episodes offered a new perspective on the usual cliches about the subject matter.
    Centaurion wrote: »
    The episode about the [ rather tenuous ] link with the Titanic disaster was quite good.

Hayman enthuses a wee bit too hard for my liking, and being from BBC Scotland it's designed for home consumption so the facts are a bit skewed to swell the chests of proud Scots who long for the glory days of Rickets, Impetigo and Slums.

I'm sure the good folk of Belfast, Tyneside, Liverpool and Southhampton would argue that they also made lots of ships that "Made the Commonwealth"

Aye, but they didn't make THE ships! The most famous non-Clyde built ship is the Titanic, and look what happened to that...
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not dumbed down at all. Each of the four episodes offered a new perspective on the usual cliches about the subject matter..

That's entirely subjective.
    I'm never impressed when they use actors to act as a presenter.
    Much of it had been covered in other documentaries. But if you enjoyed it, that's really all that matters, isn't it?
  • Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    valkay wrote: »
    We've seen all that cross Atlantic cable stuff before on Coast.

Because as 'we' all know everybody's seen Coast.

Anyway I enjoyed the Cable layer episode, bit laboured and over emotional in places, but interesting enough.
    Caught the Cutty Sark episode, also interesting enough, should have been as oddly enough, I knew virtually buggerall about the Cutty Sark before.
  • valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Anyway I enjoyed the Cable layer episode, bit laboured and over emotional in places, but interesting enough.
    Caught the Cutty Sark episode, also interesting enough, should have been as oddly enough, I knew virtually buggerall about the Cutty Sark before.

Seeing as Coast seem to be on a constant loop, I would have thought everyone's seen it at least a dozen times.:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

We got chapter and verse about Cutty Sark after the fire that nearly destroyed it in 2007.

There has also been a documentary about "The Great Eastern," which included an account of the trans-Atlantic cable she laid.
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not dumbed down at all. Each of the four episodes offered a new perspective on the usual cliches about the subject matter.

Aye, but they didn't make THE ships! The most famous non-Clyde built ship is the Titanic, and look what happened to that...

Harland and Wolfe built the Canberra that did not do too badly

They did not build the City of Adelaide but just left it to rot until the Australians came to its rescue.

I am always sceptical about the claims for the superiority of Clydebuilt ships after reading a book by a RN officer who watched his future ship being built on the Clyde during WWII and was amazed at the shoddy workmanship because of shortcuts being taken by the workers.
  • TrebleKingTrebleKing Posts: 2,390
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure the good folk of Belfast, Tyneside, Liverpool and Southampton would argue that they also made lots of ships that "Made the Commonwealth"

Southampton? Lol. None of the above, whilst no doubt were illustrious shipyard towns, could come close to the Clyde. As for the above post, why, then, did orders keep pouring in to the Clyde yards during its heyday?

Clyde built = Best built.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 108
    Forum Member
    I found the commentary a bit 'purple-prosy' compared with the usual measured tone of BBC documentaries. To its credit though, the makers have selected subjects outside the familiar range covered in past Clyde-related series which have tended to deal with either production of the great ocean liners or the demise of the industry. I found the detailed history of the Cutty Sark presented here interesting and the coverage of the cable layers yielded some surprising information — who'd have thought that 60% of international telecommunication (including the Internet) was still dependent on marine cables rather than satellite transmission?

One thing in the programme maddened me though. They specifically introduced Gilly Johnston as "the living descendant of Sidney Goodwin". How the hell can a child that sadly died at sea at the age of two have produced issue such as to have descendants? You hear this quite often on programmes with a genealogical aspect e.g. "Who do you think you are?". Someone who's merely co-laterally related i.e. shares an ancestor with the subject, is identified as a "descendant" of the subject. I suppose the programme makers inject this nonsense for dramatic effect but to someone who knows how families work it's just so damned silly.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's decades ago now but there was a BBC documentary detailing the rivalry between the Cutty Sark and the Thermopylae.

The problem these days is that there's very little archive footage of "anything" that hasn't been seen at one time in one documentary or another.
    So we tend to get a lot of those types of programme presented by actors, comedians (and even failed apprentice welders who became ballroom dancers for cryin' out loud), in an attempt to stimulate some interest in old film footage.
    Of course there will be some bits not seen before, but often not enough to hold everyone's attention.
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    joegib wrote: »
    I found the commentary a bit 'purple-prosy' compared with the usual measured tone of BBC documentaries. ....

Often a problem when they have Actors (with a capital 'A') doing the presentation, they do tend to be fond of their own voice. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    Often a problem when they have Actors (with a capital 'A') doing the presentation, they do tend to be fond of their own voice. :)

That's exactly my point, (or one of them).
    In the first ten minutes I was constantly thinking "Get on with it!" That's why I eventually gave up. But then they had to fill a one hour programme, didn't they?
  • darkislanddarkisland Posts: 3,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

As I believe they say in Belfast: 'she was alright when she left here...'
  • darkislanddarkisland Posts: 3,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »

Not to mention Hayman's championing of the 'man with roll-ups and Special Brew on park bench' look.
  • CentaurionCentaurion Posts: 2,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    darkisland wrote: »
    Not to mention Hayman's championing of the 'man with roll-ups and Special Brew on park bench' look.

Now, now, but you're right, he does look like he needs a bath :D
  • allafixallafix Posts: 20,685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's decades ago now but there was a BBC documentary detailing the rivalry between the Cutty Sark and the Thermopylae.

The problem these days is that there's very little archive footage of "anything" that hasn't been seen at one time in one documentary or another.
    So we tend to get a lot of those types of programme presented by actors, comedians (and even failed apprentice welders who became ballroom dancers for cryin' out loud), in an attempt to stimulate some interest in old film footage.
    Of course there will be some bits not seen before, but often not enough to hold everyone's attention.
    The thing is, someone who didn't see that Cutty Sark and Thermopylae documentary will not have seen the archive footage before. You may have seen it decades ago but most people viewing now won't have. Anyway what's wrong with reshowing archive film in a new documentary? We'll see a lot of repeated archive film in forthcoming WW1 documentaries.

And what's wrong with having a new documentary in the same subject? It's rare that no new light can be shed on something.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    allafix wrote: »
    The thing is, someone who didn't see that Cutty Sark and Thermopylae documentary will not have seen the archive footage before. You may have seen it decades ago but most people viewing now won't have. Anyway what's wrong with reshowing archive film in a new documentary? We'll see a lot of repeated archive film in forthcoming WW1 documentaries.

And what's wrong with having a new documentary in the same subject? It's rare that no new light can be shed on something.

Err..

Did you miss the bit where I said;

"But often not enough to hold everyone's attention?"

I pass my opinions on programmes,
    I really don't mind if this particular style of presentation is to yours or for that matter anyone's taste. Why should I?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Now, now, but you're right, he does look like he needs a bath :D

He's probably watched a lot of episodes of Coast with Neil Oliver and tried to achieve "the same look."