Options

Weight Loss Thread - 2014 Edition

Comments

• Options
    c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Got my digital scales for around a £10 from Aldi years ago. As long as they are on a hard surface they are very consistent. Can get on and off several times and always show the same figure.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1st Jan 87.5 kg
    12th Jan 85.9kg
    19th Jan 85.5kg (when to two parties that weekend)
    26th Jan 84.1kg
    2nd Feb 81.9 kg
    9th Feb 81.7kg
    15th Feb 80.7kg
    22nd Feb 79.8kg
    1st March 79.9kg
    8th March 78.5kg
    15th March 78.0kg
    22nd March 77.5kg
    29th March 76.9kg
    5th April 76.4kg
    13th April 76.6kg
    21st April 76.7kg
    26th April 76.6kg
    5th May 76.9kg
    10th May 77.2kg
    24th May 76.1kg
    1st June 76.5kg
    7th June 76.9kg
  • Options
    shmiskshmisk Posts: 7,963
    Forum Member
    Orangemaid wrote: »
    Sorry me again from food forum i asked if your ok..you seem to be pushing yourself for your July holiday to lose weight..Is it really worth it ,not eating to lose it that quick..i bet you are fine as you are ..i reckon you are at least 8 half stone now, which is great...How tall are you ? im 5'3 and 8.st.1.6..im trying not to lose too much now, and i am eating sensibly. ..I got salad and lasgane tomorrow for lunch and can't wait..maybe you should cook it :p..Hope to see you on the board as you also gone quiet :)

My life has gone very very wrong orangemaid which is why I am finding it hard to eat. In my background is 10 years of anorexia nervosa and I'm not sure if I'm relapsing. It's just I feel so so sick when I eat and I have no appetitie.
    I am 5'51/2" and this morning I'm 8 stone.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    shmisk wrote: »
    My life has gone very very wrong orangemaid which is why I am finding it hard to eat. In my background is 10 years of anorexia nervosa and I'm not sure if I'm relapsing. It's just I feel so so sick when I eat and I have no appetitie.
    I am 5'51/2" and this morning I'm 8 stone.

Sorry to hear that Shmisk :( hope you get help and get your appetite back soon ..Glad you posted reply..take care xx ((((hugs))) to you
  • Options
    allthatyouwantallthatyouwant Posts: 1,381
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi long time lurker here!! Last year I crept up to 19 stone (im 22 and 5ft 10 male) looking back I realised I was depressed with having no job and no money. However thw past couple of months ive been training every day at the gym and eating healthy (no quick fix solution) and I havr lost 3 stone!!

My number one tip is to give up fizzy drinks I used to drink at least one litre of coke a day now I drink nothing but water and I feel amazing - my skin and teeth are better and I sleep better now too!

Good luck to everyone on your WL journeys
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 37
    Forum Member
    Well done allthatyouwant that's fantastic. I drink pepsi max no sugar but still too much lol
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sorry to hear that Shmisk :( hope you get help and get your appetite back soon ..Glad you posted reply..take care xx ((((hugs))) to you

Thanks
  • Options
    OcadoOcado Posts: 1,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So despite a severe case of food poisoning (or something else, GP running tests atm) I have managed to go from 105 kilos in January to 113 kilos this morning. Need to do something fast, blood sugars are getting even more out of control and already on 30 units a day of insulin.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ocado wrote: »
    So despite a severe case of food poisoning (or something else, GP running tests atm) I have managed to go from 105 kilos in January to 113 kilos this morning. Need to do something fast, blood sugars are getting even more out of control and already on 30 units a day of insulin.

I think most people who is wrong but just need help in motivation in correcting it. So looking at your lifestyle and what you eat, what do you think if you main cause of problems ?
  • Options
    DaisyBillDaisyBill Posts: 4,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi everyone.
    I think I am going to have to rejoin this thread. A few years ago I lost 4 stones, today I have discovered that I have regained one of them. I am a bit annoyed with myself - too many snacks and treats is the reason.
    So I am going to do what I did originally to lose weight, just eat sensibly, cut out the snacking and treats (unless it is a special occassion ).
    My starting weight is 162 pounds (11 stones 8 pounds), I am initially going to aim to lose a stone and see how I feel then. I will weigh in and post on Mondays, so I can't chicken out!
  • Options
    DaisyBillDaisyBill Posts: 4,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just a quick log in and to say it's been a whole year from today that i started my diet/weight loss, and manged to lose 5 and half stone (i am currently 8 stone.3.6 oz),,..I was over 13 half stone size 18/20 in clothes down to 10/12..I done a lot of walking in that time .and i have done it all myself :p..i am so chuffed, and i am now in control of my eating habits..I still have treats and still walk..I have a new wardrobe now and can't stop buying new tops, jeans and jeggings ( and more earrings lol)

Hope your all can achieve to get to what you all want to and good luck :)..i still pop in this thread and found it quite helpful and gets you motivated reading other posters weight loss :)

That is absolutely fantastic, well done !
  • Options
    Summer BreezeSummer Breeze Posts: 4,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DaisyBill wrote: »
    Hi everyone.
    I think I am going to have to rejoin this thread. A few years ago I lost 4 stones, today I have discovered that I have regained one of them. I am a bit annoyed with myself - too many snacks and treats is the reason.
    So I am going to do what I did originally to lose weight, just eat sensibly, cut out the snacking and treats (unless it is a special occassion ).
    My starting weight is 162 pounds (11 stones 8 pounds), I am initially going to aim to lose a stone and see how I feel then. I will weigh in and post on Mondays, so I can't chicken out!

Good luck to you Daisy.
    Hope all goes well with shifting that stone.
  • Options
    EbonyHamsterEbonyHamster Posts: 8,175
    Forum Member
    Quick question, could I post my own diet topic on here or is it not allowed?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quick question, could I post my own diet topic on here or is it not allowed?

That is fine though you may get a better response starting your own thread.
  • Options
    xblingxbling Posts: 2,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi all. I'm trying to lose weight on my own. I've changed my eating habits and going the gym doing intense classes. Managed to loose 4lbs in a month. Not much but I'm half way through 3 months supply of medication for anaemia so my muscles aren't at their full capacity due to lack of haemoglobin? Levels being low. Just means I can't reach a satisfactory burn levels yet but getting there.
  • Options
    OcadoOcado Posts: 1,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At the moment, lack of willpower. Just cannot get motivated at all.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,363
    Forum Member
    Allowing treats once in a while helps me stick to a diet. I love twister ice lollies and giving up alcohol altogether has made a big difference.
    Just buy as much low fat brands as you can, eat natural foods, not prepared ready meals, reduce portions and fat intake and don't weigh yourself all the time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ocado wrote: »
    At the moment, lack of willpower. Just cannot get motivated at all.

I know what you mean there.
    I have to get my 'diet head' on to motivate myself, Wozel Gummidge style :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOTNAe3j7Bs

I do not diet to be honest now I just go a fitness regime and that will result in weight loss due to trying not to eat as much rubbish and the increased exercise I do.

My tips would be, start today and not tomorrow or a Monday, so many start on Monday and have a blowout for the few days leading up to that day.

Clear your cupboards of rubbish food, then the temptation is not there.
    Try to use fresh fruit, veg, meat fish etc and cut out the processed food.
    You can fill your plate us with some tasty meat and veg meal.

This site is good for all sorts of tips.
    http://www.healthyfood.co.nz/
    I read the magazine when waiting at the Dentist a while ago, I thought the little magazine was great with loads of good advice and recipes.

Drink a large glass of water before each meal, that fills your tummy up a bit.
    Put your food on smaller plates, cut down on the size of your normal portion.

I know it can be hard to get exercising at times, but the nice weather is here now, so why not start off walking at a moderate pace and increase it up to a fast pace over the time.
    Walking is free to do, no expensive gym to join.

One thing I would say is that if you really are craving something naughty, just go ahead and have a little of that thing and do not feel guilty about it.
    I used to find that when I went on a diet that all I thought about was food, crazy isn't it.

Good luck on getting motivated, you can do it :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LIZALYNN wrote: »
    Allowing treats once in a while helps me stick to a diet. I love twister ice lollies and giving up alcohol altogether has made a big difference.

If I quit drinking alcohol I would be 8 stone within the month ;-):D
    My love of wine is hard to quit.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Of interest last night I talked to a barriacrtic patient last night about all the diets they went on prior to opting for a gastric sleeve

Properly eye opening

I have hit 7 stone 10.
  • Options
    SplotSplot Posts: 600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How is everyone getting on? Need some words of encouragement.

Alcohol is my downfall :(
  • Options
    BermondseybrickBermondseybrick Posts: 1,256
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Splot wrote: »
    How is everyone getting on? Need some words of encouragement.

Alcohol is my downfall :(

Im lucky that I am not a big drinker so don't really miss the alcohol ....why don't you buy yourself a dress/shirt and trouses r that are a couple of sizes too small and use them as motivation ?
  • Options
    SplotSplot Posts: 600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ....why don't you buy yourself a dress/shirt and trouses r that are a couple of sizes too small and use them as motivation ?

My entire wardrobe is a size too small, that's why I started the diet :p

I'm serious.
  • Options
    WinterFireWinterFire Posts: 9,509
    Forum Member
    Hi everyone. I was part of the Weight Loss 2013 thread, but post occasionally to update on my weight maintenance.

Weighed myself yesterday. Bang on target weight of 77kg.

Personally I was disappointed in the recent publicity given to claims that 'diets don't work'. My diet worked and I'm now > 1 year post reaching target weight, which is defined as one of those claimed very rare successes. I am not a freak of nature, I have not done anything nor am I doing anything particularly special. Food and dieting does not consume my life, nor am I hungry all the time. I'm confident that by applying simple and straightforward measures that I will be able to maintain my weight. I'm very angry that misinformation of the type that has been publicised may discourage people from trying to do something about their weight.

PS: I agree that allowing treats (providing they do not trigger bingeing/diet fail, this was discussed last year) can be a useful part of a diet. When I dieted, I used a simple daily calorie limit. Now in maintenance mode I'm just continuing to eat what I ate when dieting, but just a bit more. Though, I don't count calories now, just adjust what I eat up or down/allow myself particular treats depending on where my weight is. But, if I'd tried to go forever without treats, I'm sure I personally would have failed.

I haven't been able to read every post, but can I particularly congratulate OrangeMaid for success.

DaisyBill wrote: »
    Hi everyone.

This sounds very sensible. You've been in maintenance mode for a while, but have regained one stone. You know what to do and are going to do it. I bet that without my saying it you're going to be checking your weight a bit more frequently in the future once you're free of that pesky stone :)

Congratulations to everyone I haven't mentioned for their successes, and best of luck to those still trying.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WinterFire wrote: »
    Now in maintenance mode I'm just continuing to eat what I ate when dieting, but just a bit more.

Not sure what mis-information you are talking about but the message that I see time and time again is to follow a eating routine that you can maintain FOR LIFE, not just a couple of days or weeks. You said it yourself, you are eating the same as when you were in weight loss mode.