Options

Conservatory and building regs control

2»

Comments

• Options
    GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We had curtains between the sitting room and "sun room" but the only time I used them was when the sun was shining on the TV. lol!
  • Options
    SupratadSupratad Posts: 10,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Almost certainly what will have happened is that the people who had it built, had it built with doors to achieve a Building Regs certificate, then removed them as they really wanted "through living" which is a very nice thing to have.

I would not worry about it to be honest. You will waste a bit of energy heating it, but if you like it, go for it. No one from the council will come and force you to do anything. Building Regs was something that was achieved at the time of construction. its not enforcable now. If it were, we'd all be in debt having paid out for lots of extra insulation so our older houses meet newer standards.

Maybe, at some dim and distant point in the future, if you are selling, you may need to whack a set of doors in, but worry about that then
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tiacat wrote: »
    So this particular conservatory cannot have been exempt from building control as it does not have external doors separating it from the house.

Its possible, although unlikely, that the building fabric and glazing counteract the heatloss, although of course without me seeing it, its just speculation.
    The fact it has electric underfloor heating rather than any extension of the house heating system indicates it was intended to be a separate conservatory rather than an extension of the house, hence my postulation about the doors being removed at some point.
  • Options
    SaturnVSaturnV Posts: 11,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You haven't explained this very well,

What doors are where?????

It's explained very clearly. No external doors means it's an extension and subject to building regs. If it's an ordinary conservatory it would fail hands down.
  • Options
    evil cevil c Posts: 7,833
    Forum Member
    If it was me, I'd phone the local council planning dept and check it's okay before you pay for the survey. Don't feel pressured by your buyer into taking a decision under duress that you may regret when it's too late. Remember the old saying 'fools rush in where angels fear to tread'. Don't be the fool.
  • Options
    lubaluba Posts: 1,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    evil c wrote: »
    If it was me, I'd phone the local council planning dept and check it's okay before you pay for the survey. Don't feel pressured by your buyer into taking a decision under duress that you may regret when it's too late. Remember the old saying 'fools rush in where angels fear to tread'. Don't be the fool.

We are builders and I agree with this completely, only the local council can answer you correctly, building regulations change week to week.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    evil c wrote: »
    luba wrote: »
    We are builders and I agree with this completely, only the local council can answer you correctly, building regulations change week to week.

As I said above, Tiacat will be buying a house, not applying for Building Control. What's there is no longer subject to any interference from the local authority. Her mortgage lender won't care either.

I can assure you Building Regs do not change week to week. When Building Regs change it is a lengthy process with lots of consultation, but even if, say, next week, Part L1B changes to require "All Conservatories have to be wrapped in bright pink polythene sheeting"... that would only apply to new applications, not existing conservatories.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Supratad wrote: »
    but even if, say, next week, Part L1B changes to require "All Conservatories have to be wrapped in bright pink polythene sheeting"... that would only apply to new applications, not existing conservatories.

That'd look interesting on Google Earth!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You haven't explained this very well,

What doors are where?????

Just coming back to this, cos I'm feeling quite grouchy today.
    It always annoys me when people who lack imagination, understanding and basic comprehension turn around something that has been clearly and concisely explained to them and try to blame the other person for not being clear.

Quite literally, grrrr.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Supratad wrote: »
    cos I'm feeling quite grouchy today.

What you need is a meditation pyramid: http://www.pyramidplant.com/images/Beta-Gallaery/WOODEN_PYRAMIDS/wooden_meditation_pyramid4.jpg :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's a nice idea, but my wife would never tolerate such a large erection in the front room.
  • Options
    Hut27Hut27 Posts: 1,673
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Doors may be required for fire risk reasons (spreading between 'rooms')

You really ought to budget for doors though. It WILL be cold in winter in your living room.

Note that if you have a gas fire in the living room, and then you put doors in, you may have to put extra vents to the outside (Carbon Monoxide reasons). It's not expensive or difficult.

Our Conservatory faces due West, built on 2ft 6in high insulated walls. Size of floor area 17ft X 7ft. also insulated with 2in Polystyrene under cement screed, It is the warmest room in the Bungalow having 3 radiators in it, we open Old patio doors into lounge in really cold weather.