Options

Virgin Media TV help

UltraVioletUltraViolet Posts: 7,673
Forum Member
Basically, the cable outlet socket to the set top box is too short for where we want to move the television. We phoned Virgin to ask if they could come and extend it for us and they quoted £95!!!! for the person to come out and put a longer coaxial cable in... is this the correct ridiculous price?

So we went out and bought an extended cable ourselves for about £6-8 and are wondering if we can connect it ourselves without buggering up the set up? or dangerous...

Or is it worth paying the terrible high price incase something goes wrong with your cable and then you are not covered?

Any help would be fantastic. :)

Comments

• Options
    War OnWar On Posts: 1,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Basically, the cable outlet socket to the set top box is too short for where we want to move the television. We phoned Virgin to ask if they could come and extend it for us and they quoted £95!!!! for the person to come out and put a longer coaxial cable in... is this the correct ridiculous price?

So we went out and bought an extended cable ourselves for about £6-8 and are wondering if we can connect it ourselves without buggering up the set up? or dangerous...

Or is it worth paying the terrible high price incase something goes wrong with your cable and then you are not covered?

Any help would be fantastic. :)

No as long as it's the correct wire, it's perfectly safe. Of course disconnect the wires before you start working on them.

Someone might say it's against the t&c's (not sure if it is) but I wouldn't worry about that in this instance.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yeah but I read somewhere if something goes wrong with say the set top box and it's your own bought cable and work to connect it then you don't get a free replacement, and have to pay about £250 for a new box since it's not their cable/work?!
  • Options
    ek-ukek-uk Posts: 2,395
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah but I read somewhere if something goes wrong with say the set top box and it's your own bought cable and work to connect it then you don't get a free replacement, and have to pay about £250 for a new box since it's not their cable/work?!

Surely they could only charge you if you damage the box. You won't damage the box unless you use a huge monkey wrench to tighten the cable or something. Just use an f type barrel connector to join the two cables and you could always reconnect the box how it originally was anyway. I doubt you will ever need to though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    That was one idea, keep the original cable, and if something goes wrong down the line, put the original one back and call them out... they wouldn't be able to tell in anyway if a different cable had been used and so on?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    None one else changed the cable?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 352
    Forum Member
  • Options
    War OnWar On Posts: 1,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    None one else changed the cable?

Yep I done it at my last address. No issue at all when engineer needed to visit.

They won't care at all. And like said above, just pop the old cable back in if you ever need them round and are worried about it, although no need to!!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ^ We are just going to do it via someone we know, going to connect it for us and so on, and keep the original cable in case something goes wrong, then it's 'not our fault'... not paying bloody £99 for just putting a new longer cable on.