Options

Box Office Means Nothing

attackmusicattackmusic Posts: 3,828
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Just a little rant :D

Who cares how well a film did at the cinema? That indicates how many people WENT to see it, not how many LIKED it. After all, when you pay to see a film how could that possibly mean you loved it when you haven't watched it yet? :p No one can produce a logical argument that suggests it means a film is good. People roll out the "it got good box office" arguments when audiences and critics slate films :D

Box office is not important, unfortunately the industry cares about money more. So horrendous films like twilight are deemed a "success" even though more than half of the people who see them hate them, and films now considered classics (Fight Club, Donnie Darko) are considered failures because their box office was bad even though 99% of the people who saw those films loved them. It bothers me!

I think if there was less emphasis on money there would be better films out there. Just my views :o

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thanks for enlighetening us. ur point is kinda preaching to the converted cos i don't imagine the ppl you're talking about read internet movie forums.
  • Options
    attackmusicattackmusic Posts: 3,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On film forums there are always some people talking about how a film "flopped". I think it is when they dislike a film and have no reasonable argument as to why it wasn't good. I dunno :confused:
  • Options
    Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,328
    Forum Member
    Box office is not important, unfortunately the industry cares about money more.

Box office may not have any say in a film's artistic merit, but it's still very important in other ways and of course the industry ultimately cares about money more. It's an industry - how on earth is it meant to stay afloat? The big hits compensate for the money losers. Cinema has always been a meeting of art and commerce and that's partly what's so fascinating about it.