Options

Cat owners beware - urban foxes

2»

Comments

• Options
    ScooterwolfScooterwolf Posts: 2,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Got woke at 1am this morning by what I can only describe several awful "screaming/wailing" sounds, looking outside the window it seems 2-3 foxes were picking on a cat or vice versa. They moved out of sight but it went on for a good half hour and I could hear Wheelie Bins being clattered into.
  • Options
    susie-4964susie-4964 Posts: 23,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Got woke at 1am this morning by what I can only describe several awful "screaming/wailing" sounds, looking outside the window it seems 2-3 foxes were picking on a cat or vice versa. They moved out of sight but it went on for a good half hour and I could hear Wheelie Bins being clattered into.

Some cats just like picking a fight. Our first one was a right sod for it, he'd go for anything. I'd be very sorry for any fox that he came across, I saw what he did to the dog!
  • Options
    J4ckieBr0wnJ4ckieBr0wn Posts: 1,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We are lucky to live in a semi rural area just outside Huddersfield, so there is quite a lot of small wildlife for the local fox population to eat without bothering our cats. There's quite a large number of rabbits around plus field mice, voles, game birds etc. there's also the odd bit of roadkill on the Wakefield Road which they clean up quite nicely.

I've never seen any foxes close to our house but there is a family of "black" foxes, down the hill a bit, close to a wooded area and I've frequently heard vixens calling at night. Not sure they would come near to us anyway as Mr.Cat, Thomas and Harry would probably chase them off. If they didn't Murphy and Lena, our two dogs, definitely would. My lot are very territorial and rather bossy :o:)

Just to clarify: the "black" foxes are not the rare type, they are just a much darker colour than is usually seen and some have patches of more reddish colouration. Locally they are called black foxes.
  • Options
    CM PRANKCM PRANK Posts: 576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ruffles wrote: »
    I don't particularly trust foxes with cats ,no.
    foxes are cats
  • Options
    J4ckieBr0wnJ4ckieBr0wn Posts: 1,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CM PRANK wrote: »
    foxes are cats

:confused:

Would you care to elucidate?
  • Options
    academiaacademia Posts: 18,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mariets wrote: »
    A friend of mine lost a kitten after an attack by an urban fox. About 2 yrs later she saw another one in the garden and that night her other cat went missing and she presumed that he'd met the same fate.

My cat had to have her tail amputated after an attack by a fox.
  • Options
    Blackjack DavyBlackjack Davy Posts: 1,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Remember when my mother walked out and my stepmother moved in she hated our cat she tried to blame the black bags being ripped open on him, but it was a fox I saw the damn thing out of the window ripping it open! She still didn't believe me. Soon as I moved out she had him put down. Bitch.

They're definately getting bolder though. Saw one the other week walked across the garden where I was working bold as brass, just looked at me as it leisurely strolled across, no hurry, 15 feet away, cool as you like. The person I work for hates them he used to pay for someone to trap them and take them away. He didn't ask what he did with them.