Options

Wimpy

Comments

• Options
    Chelseafan101Chelseafan101 Posts: 2,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's one in Basingstoke, and I've eaten there. Good, but a bit steep.
  • Options
    5th Horseman5th Horseman Posts: 10,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We still have one in Aberdeen (down at the beach) I try to go once or twice a year for a quarter pounder with cheese, better than McDonalds or Burger King, the sauce is still as yummy as ever and I do like the brown burger buns, though not a patch on a proper gourmet burger.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I read that some company already owning Burger King bought Wimpy to rebrand the 'counter service' restaurants and not caring about the original 'table service' ones, which survived only through a management buyout. So that's why they are where they are, thin on the ground. My nearest one is 20 miles away.
  • Options
    Teddybear99Teddybear99 Posts: 6,077
    Forum Member
    fast left wrote: »
    the brown derby used to be so big 2 greedy kids in the late 70's couldn't eat it all :cry: it got very small and mean looking over the years.used to love the tomato sauce they did,i think that's why i'm so fussy and only have green top heinz these days :) mc'd's not a patch on them .can't remember when i last seen or had a wimpy .

mmmmmmmmm ice cream floats :D

The Wimpys of the 1970s were amazing. Table service with real waitresses and proper plates and knives and forks, and real fried onions with the burgers. They were the 'Nandos' of their day! :)
  • Options
    LaceyLouelle3LaceyLouelle3 Posts: 9,682
    Forum Member
    I don't recall ever eating at a Wimpy! I once had a hot chocolate in there but thats it. Mixed reviews here so not sure whether I'm missing out or not?
  • Options
    BomoLadBomoLad Posts: 17,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't get the big deal about cutlery. Isn't burger and chips something it's actually much easier, and indeed preferable, to eat as finger food?
  • Options
    Pepperoni ManPepperoni Man Posts: 7,798
    Forum Member
    Certainly used to be my fave Burger outlet - it was the sauce they put in their burgers I loved - it was like Thousand Island dressing
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BomoLad wrote: »
    I don't get the big deal about cutlery. Isn't burger and chips something it's actually much easier, and indeed preferable, to eat as finger food?
    They have a more varied menu than that, eg fish and chips or grills and steak. The things you can do with a knife and fork :).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 280
    Forum Member
    The one in Swanage is vile
  • Options
    Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,949
    Forum Member

:D Too right.
    My parents ate hamburgers with a knife and fork in the US... aww! Perhaps it's a generational thing?
  • Options
    Forum Member

Of course, but I think the thing about Wimpy, particularly in the 1970s, was that you really felt you were having a 'meal out' rather than just a bit of fast food. It was quite trendy then, and it was the place you went to for a meal on a date or before going to a disco or the Top Rank Suite. I think the equivalent now would be Nandos or Bella Italia - not posh, but a bit up from McDonalds.

I remember being in the Wimpy in East Street Brighton when Quadraphenia was being filmed, it was the scariest thing ever as it was the scene when the Mods and Rockers meet and start fighting!
  • Options
    newda898newda898 Posts: 5,467
    Forum Member
    I went for a Wimpy just the other day. Was rather nice the Quarterpounder with cheese, chips, onions, lettuce and burger sauce.
  • Options
    springtimeloverspringtimelover Posts: 745
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Went to the one in Southend the other day first time in many years and wish I had not tried to recapture my youth, it was rubbish nothing like wimpy from the 70s No crunch when you bite into the burger (from being toasted) and brown burger what's that all about?
  • Options
    Loz_FraggleLoz_Fraggle Posts: 5,759
    Forum Member
    I remember we went loads of times to Wimpy, especially the one in Wakefield (which was turned into Burger King) I can't remember what I ate, but I remember the paper crown hats you could get free, there were blue with ribbons decorated on the them and the Wimpy beefeater was on them too. I don't we ever went to McDonalds as long as Wimpy was there, or perhaps we did if there was no Wimpy.
  • Options
    doom&gloomdoom&gloom Posts: 9,051
    Forum Member
    Went to a Wimpy in South Africa when I was on my hols there in January. Wasn't massively impressed....although their double espresso milkshake was exactly what was required and was bloody lovely. The burgers just seemed very 'frozen birdseye' or something. That said, who knows if the UK one is the same...there aren't any in NI so I guess I'll not find out in a hurry.

The company that owns Wimpy in South Africa bought the ones over here so they will be pretty similar.
  • Options
    HeavenlyHeavenly Posts: 31,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There has been one in our town for years, I have many happy memories as a child being taken in there as a rare treat.

It's still open and is, at this moment, having a refurb! Don't know how they do it, but they're still open.
  • Options
    Free as a birdFree as a bird Posts: 1,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Their milkshakes are the best, so lovely and thick.

There are a couple near me, so may treat myself this weekend ;) not so keen on the burgers though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Went to the one in Southend the other day first time in many years and wish I had not tried to recapture my youth, it was rubbish nothing like wimpy from the 70s No crunch when you bite into the burger (from being toasted) and brown burger what's that all about?

That piece about the toasted bun has really made me want an old school Wimpy, toasted bun, modest amount of delicately fried onions and a perfect burger, moist succulent and tasty.

These longings are so wrong, I've been a vegetarian for 30 years! :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The bendy burger...how do they make that frankfurter bend? :o
  • Options
    Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,949
    Forum Member
    Finally caved as this thread made me hanker. Went with o/h to Wimpy yesterday.
    Was nice actually - they had a deal on: big cheeseburger & six onion rings.
    And we shared some chips.

Nostalgic and far tastier than McDonalds :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Welsh-lad wrote: »
    Finally caved as this thread made me hanker. Went with o/h to Wimpy yesterday.
    Was nice actually - they had a deal on: big cheeseburger & six onion rings.
    And we shared some chips.

Nostalgic and far tastier than McDonalds :D

Ok, you've sold me. :D
  • Options
    paulmasterpaulmaster Posts: 237
    Forum Member
    went 2 wimpy 2day had cheeseburger fries and a milk shake. Only went cuz was out of town(dont have 1 in cambridge) but would deffo go again wish there was one here
  • Options
    GaditanoGaditano Posts: 2,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the Wimpy in East Street Brighton

It's still there ! About six doors down from a painfully trendy veggie restaurant. It's somehow quite touching that it's survived. No idea who goes in there.
  • Options
    NosegayNosegay Posts: 520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One Wimpy is equivalent to ten McDonald's, one hundred Burger Kings and one million Nando's. It is a shame that there aren't more Wimpys. The taste buds of the British are dreadful!:)
  • Options
    Adam792Adam792 Posts: 7,147
    Forum Member
    There's one in Stafford, I think I went to it once about 10 years ago. I can't remember it being anything remarkable.

I keep meaning to drag my friends there as for some reason it popped up in conversation a while ago! :D