Options

New Washing Machine Suggestions?

TangoTango Posts: 526
Forum Member
✭✭
Hi

My Hotpoint is old and leaving marks on my clothes, its about 7yrs old.

Anyone recommend a good one < £400.

Not Miele as out of budget

I been told stay away from Hotpoint and buy Bosch?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    fat controllerfat controller Posts: 13,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have a few Bosch appliances now, having been bitten by various brands over the years, and if any of them failed tomorrow the first brand I would be looking at to replace with would be a Bosch. Only one issue experienced, and that was with the dishwasher, however that was sorted out with a £8 part from e-spares - really well made, easy to use, and reliable.
  • Options
    dragonrapidedragonrapide Posts: 1,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bosch for me too. I always buy the most simple appliance by a good make like Bosch. Just a manual dial, not digital. Less to go wrong. Always use a spoonful of soda crystals in every wash too if you are in a hard water area. This helps protect from lime scale and costs much less than calgon or similar.
  • Options
    MustabusterMustabuster Posts: 5,975
    Forum Member
    I have a Bosch washing machine and it's still going strong after a few years. My sister in law had a Bosch which died and needed replacing. The difference is (apart from the model) I have a water softener in my system which I think helps so give it a good clean with soda crystals regularly if you're in a hard water area. Most of us are.

I reckon that's what kills most washing machines.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another vote for Bosch here. I've had it since about 1999. It still works perfectly and has survived 2 house moves. You watch, it'll go wrong now! :rolleyes:
  • Options
    benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bosch. It has a quick wash of 35 mins.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the replies

I got a repair guy to give me an estimate
    He said it was in very good nick, needed a clean and waste cleaned

He also said the door seal needed replacing on a Hotpoint WD640

The quote was £85.00 labour included.

Reasonable????
  • Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tango wrote: »
    Hi

My Hotpoint is old and leaving marks on my clothes, its about 7yrs old.

Anyone recommend a good one < £400.

Not Miele as out of budget

I been told stay away from Hotpoint and buy Bosch?

Thanks

i have a Hotpoint and very happy with it, it does shake the kitchen a bit at full spim, but it is 1600, which is pretty fats for a front loader.

7 years old is not old for a machine to be honest, mine is about 4, but it depends how much you use it, mine is used twice a week normally, maybe three.

what is making the marks?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the replies

Reasonable????

Maybe the best way to go.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    i have a Hotpoint and very happy with it, it does shake the kitchen a bit at full spim, but it is 1600, which is pretty fats for a front loader.

7 years old is not old for a machine to be honest, mine is about 4, but it depends how much you use it, mine is used twice a week normally, maybe three.

what is making the marks?

Dirt marks especially on black clothes, also clothes quite damp drum is only half full and it's 1400 spin.

The door seal is all mouldy :-(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dirt marks especially on black clothes, also clothes quite damp drum is only half full and it's 1400 spin.

The door seal is all mouldy :-(

The best way to stop door seal getting mouldy is to leave it open a little bit, i leave mine open for a few hours after i used it. Not always possible to do that i know, if you got kids.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    The best way to stop door seal getting mouldy is to leave it open a little bit, i leave mine open for a few hours after i used it. Not always possible to do that i know, if you got kids.

Too late now after 7 years. Thanks for tip,do you think that a reasonable quote?

they said faulty door seal cause clothes not to rinse well/marks/noise

any ideas?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Problem is, the 85 quid could escalate if the engineer finds other parts requiring maintenance. Not only that but there's no knowing how long the machine will last after that. On the other hand, you could spend the 85 quid and have the machine working like new. It's a gamble.

A new machine will work perfectly and have a guarantee but will obviously cost more.

Perhaps you could sell the machine to the engineer for, say, 30 quid or something, as he can repair it and sell it on second hand and make a profit.

There's a Bosch (model WAE24061GB; 6kg; 1200spin) on very.co.uk for 279.99 with the option of standard delivery at 6.95 (6 days, no installation) or 30.00 (3 days, installed). So if you got 30 quid for the old one, that'd pay for the delivery and installation of the new one. I will grant you it's a basic model, but is extremely easy to use as it only has the program dial and 3 buttons, one of which is the start button!

Ultimately, the choice is yours. How long is a piece of string...

Edited to add: Just checked and you can get 10% off your first order, so that's another 30 quid off which essentially means you can have a brand new Bosch for under 250 quid! Just hope it's as reliable as my '99 model (which I might add is nearly identical; basic buttons and program dial).
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    7 years is old?:eek:
  • Options
    neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the replies

Reasonable????

Cheaper than a new machine.

With your mouldy door seal to stop it happening wipe it over with either a dilute bleach mix or spray with anti bacterial surface cleaner every couple of weeks.
  • Options
    cosmic buttplugcosmic buttplug Posts: 873
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

ak, sit yourself down (well you probably are sitting down:p) pour yourself a very stiff drink and read this:

I own a fully functioning washing machine that was...

...32 years old last March! :eek:

A Phillips AWB 098 seeing as you asked. :cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ak, sit yourself down (well you probably are sitting down:p) pour yourself a very stiff drink and read this:

OMG! :eek:

How have you taken care of it? How often has it gone wrong?
  • Options
    cosmic buttplugcosmic buttplug Posts: 873
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OMG! :eek:

How have you taken care of it? How often has it gone wrong?

Good question, cassius. The fact is I did look after it for the first few years in as far as it was only used on average about once every 10 days. But I have rented out the flat that I lived in for years with that very machine still running. My current tenants are, I guess, relatively gentle in their laundry demands using it no more than once a week. It is by today’s standard a pretty basic machine with only a few choices of programme. What it does have, that is very handy, is a set of wheels that can be lowered for easy manoeuvrability.

The only special treatment that it has had is that I, and the subsequent users, have always turned the hot & cold supplying taps off when not in use. The only tme it ever went (seemingly) wrong was when a tenant rang to inform of its failure to fill water on start up. It was not, would you believe, the machine at fault, but one of the supplying taps that had seized in the closed position. :eek:

I have had a nose round the web in the past and it does seem that these machines do have an impressive reputation for reliability. To quote, “They don’t make ‘em like…”. :cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Too late now after 7 years. Thanks for tip,do you think that a reasonable quote?

they said faulty door seal cause clothes not to rinse well/marks/noise

any ideas?

Depends, as cassius_west said, if other things are found to be faulty, it could cost more and it also depends on how long the machine will last after.

If you pay £85 and get another couple of years or more out of it then it is not too bad, but it could go belly up a month after. you pay your money and take that risk I suppose.

i paid £60 to have a new pump put into a 4 years old machine and it lasted for another 3 after that, in fact the machine itself still works, i only changed it because I wanted something larger and with a better spin speed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No it is not, if they are calling that old for washing machines, then they are not made very well.

When i first moved in here, there was a machine that was over 10 years old, my bother got it second hand and when he moved out and I moved in, he left it here. it worked for another couple of years until it broke down, i had someone to look at it and he said it was leaking and water had got into a control panel and even if the panel was replaced, the leak was not fixable. I was going to buy one off him, but my parents got one second hand, that had only been used for 6 months at a good price.

the machine I got now is the first new one I ever had, hopefully it will last for a few more years.
  • Options
    neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Sort of similar, in the barn I've a fridge my folks back in 1962 or 63, still working and I store wine in it, next to it is a chest freezer I bought in 1982 after my holiday in the South Atlantic and its still working well although I did clean up the rust on the case and painted it with Hammerite four or five years ago.

We used a Hoover washing machine and separate tumble dryer and they lasted years and the only thing that failed was the brushes in the motor which I fixed and the micro switch on the dryer door which I replaced.

I'm not impressed with any 'white goods' these days regardless of cost. I did buy a Smeg fridge because of its retro look fitting in with the new kitchen but I'm not convinced its any better made that a £200 fridge; time will tell. Same with washing machines, I can't remember what make it is now (I'm away from home) but it wasn't cheap and I suspect it won't last as long as the old Hoover.