England vs Uruguay - ITV1 19/6 8pm

NightHawk123NightHawk123 Posts: 7,015
Forum Member
Which formation will England play? Hoping Oxlade-Chamberlain and Suarez are back and fit enough to start. Wonder if Rooney will play on the left again or behind Sturridge. Plenty to ponder for Hodgson.

Comments

• Kel'ThuzadKel'Thuzad Posts: 768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I honestly think we'll blow Uruguay away! We were by far the better team against Italy and if we replicate that performance we'll obliterate Uruguay!

3-0 to England
  • Xela MXela M Posts: 4,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kel'Thuzad wrote: »
    I honestly think we'll blow Uruguay away! We were by far the better team against Italy and if we replicate that performance we'll obliterate Uruguay!

3-0 to England

BIB - Really? Don't get me wrong, I though England played well and certainly much better than usual, but I thought Italy outclassed England in the end. England just didn't have the same quality of players to rival the likes of Pirlo & Co.
  • ChilisauceChilisauce Posts: 78
    Forum Member
    Hoping Oxlade-Chamberlain and Suarez are back and fit enough to start.

I hope Suarez ISN'T fit enough to start.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Xela M wrote: »
    BIB - Really? Don't get me wrong, I though England played well and certainly much better than usual, but I thought Italy outclassed England in the end. England just didn't have the same quality of players to rival the likes of Pirlo & Co.

Italy didn't have anyone who came close to the performances of Sterling and Sturridge. I thought Italy were extremely lucky on Saturday. We deserved more from that game!
  • FMKKFMKK Posts: 32,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Italy were comfortable and professional. They did what they always do - just enough to win the game. They were well set up tactically and, while England were better than usual, Italy were the team that took their chances and closed the game out. Deserved winners.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Italy didn't have anyone who came close to the performances of Sterling and Sturridge...

Err... Andrea Pirlo? What about their 93% pass accuracy? Italy were controlling the game and wasting minimum energy, unlike Sterling and Sturridge who played well, but not as smart.
  • DUNDEEBOYDUNDEEBOY Posts: 109,642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    1nil Uruguay
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FMKK wrote: »
    Italy were comfortable and professional. They did what they always do - just enough to win the game. They were well set up tactically and, while England were better than usual, Italy were the team that took their chances and closed the game out. Deserved winners.

We were camped in Italy's half for practically the entire second half...Italy couldn't get out. If we had been more clinical we'd have won and if the ref had awarded Gerard a penalty. Ref practically gave us F-ALL the whole game...was influenced by the crowd who were overwhelmingly in support of Italy
  • Peter VenkmanPeter Venkman Posts: 1,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They've gotta play 5-3-2. For the love of God, play 5-3-2.
  • O'NeillO'Neill Posts: 8,721
    Forum Member
    If Suarez if fit and starts I predict Uruguay to win. Uruguay, England and Costa Rica could all end up on 3 points.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We were camped in Italy's half for practically the entire second half...Italy couldn't get out. If we had been more clinical we'd have won and if the ref had awarded Gerard a penalty. Ref practically gave us F-ALL the whole game...was influenced by the crowd who were overwhelmingly in support of Italy

If the ref had awarded Gerrard a penalty it would have been an incorrect decision. Italy played well enough to get over the line. If you would have been more clinical you would have won but you weren't and Italy were. That's why they're a dangerous team, despite what Lawro said in the build-up.

And Pirlo was sublime as always. MOTM between him and Sterling imo.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If the ref had awarded Gerrard a penalty it would have been an incorrect decision. Italy played well enough to get over the line. If you would have been more clinical you would have won but you weren't and Italy were. That's why they're a dangerous team, despite what Lawro said in the build-up.

I suppose you think if De Rossi had seen red for a two footed challenge that would also have been an "incorrect decision"?

I'm actually surprised that so little has been made of the referee's performance on Saturday...he had an absoloute shocker and gave us nothing all night!

Btw I'll make a prediction we'll be in the world cup longer than Italy...guaranteed!

Italy are prone to slipping up against minnows, something which can not be said about England, and I wouldn't be surprised if Costa Rica beat them and qualify along with us!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's pretty clear that you're pretty ridiculously pro-England. What has De Rossi's tackle to do with the correct penalty decision? Are you suggesting a conspiracy?

Little has been made of the referee because it wasn't a particularly controversial game.
  • Big PoyBig Poy Posts: 7,420
    Forum Member
    If Suarez starts he won't be match fit anyway so not too worried.

Obviously Uruguay have to start him after losing the first game and say he's ready.
  • StrmChaserSteveStrmChaserSteve Posts: 2,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    England gotta win Thursday, cause this match is on ITV.

About time Adrian Chiles brought something good to the table. a lucky charm
  • SirMickTravisSirMickTravis Posts: 2,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    England need to be aware that Uruguay and Costa Rica might not be as attack minded as Italy. I was struck by the fact that even at 2-1 when Darmian had a chance to score Italy had a lot of players forward and England almost caught them on the counter. Uruguay and certainly Costa Rica might not be so ambitious. When Italy sat back in the last 20 England did struggle to come close. They can't just rely on the counter attack.

I'd be tempted to play an extra midfielder against Uruguay. Sterling Sturridge and Rooney up top. The full backs should get more cover that way.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

BIB - Are you familiar with the the Italian catenaccio - the system that won Italy 4 World Cup titles? This is what they have been displaying for the last 20 mins of the match. If Italy sit back it's nearly impossible to get through. They are masters of defence.
  • JakobjoeJakobjoe Posts: 8,235
    Forum Member
    if england dont win then its a disaster.... :o
    ..im supporting holland my self this year as they play the sort of football like to watch..but i still want england to do well.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jakobjoe wrote: »
    if england dont win then its a disaster.... :o
    ..im supporting holland my self this year as they play the sort of football like to watch..but i still want england to do well.

Holland were superb - playing the 'total football' of 1974, but I hope they don't run out of steam. Normally, it's the teams that don't do brilliantly in the group games who get the furthest.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 382
    Forum Member

3-0 to England

I beg to differ Italy were by far the better team and you are dreaming if you think England will beat Uruguay by 3-0!:p
    Forum Member
    Xela M wrote: »

Exactly well said
    Forum Member
    Italy didn't have anyone who came close to the performances of Sterling and Sturridge. I thought Italy were extremely lucky on Saturday. We deserved more from that game!

No you didn't - Italy were by far the superior team
    Forum Member

Yes they were and should have won 4-1 if it wasn't for the fact that two shots at goal hit the post
    Forum Member

That's the trouble with England supporters always SOUR GRAPES
  • celesticelesti Posts: 25,897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't question Kel'Thuzad and his football knowledge. He GUARANTEED an England win at half-time because the Italian players who'd threatened all game were actually terrible and played for teams he'd never heard of - Uruguay must be like Luis Suarez and 10 latin guys he found at a bus stop.