Options

Wagner's thoughts on remaining contestants!

13»

Comments

• Options
    BananafishBananafish Posts: 13,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Daewos wrote: »
    And good on them for suckering so much out of people that are daft enough to give them their hard earned cash. Two young men who are seen as amusing and have a modicum of talent and are seen as a good family night out. Somehow I do not see Wagner slipping into that role, thankfully.

Of course not, Wagner has achieved something far more. Cult, anti-hero, legend status. The stuff corporate events are powered by, and also the stuff which mud doesn't stick to.

Again, it's very nice people are so worried about this 'old' man and his future but he's played the game like a blinder so far and will be perfectly fine.
  • Options
    EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    grimtales1 wrote: »
    It's not Wagner's place to say that while still under contract though, about Rebecca, as English isnt his first language maybe he means something different, I don't know. Just because he said "Mary will be gone" doesnt mean he doesnt like her, Mary was one of the few who defended him.

His comments on Mary could even be seen as positive : that as a fiftysomething woman,Cowell and the producers don't want her in the final.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eurostar wrote: »
    His comments on Mary could even be seen as positive : that as a fiftysomething woman,Cowell and the producers don't want her in the final.

Yeah, everyone and his dog knows Mary is going tonight.

The final wasn't increased to 4 for her benefit.
  • Options
    _elly001_elly001 Posts: 11,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bananafish wrote: »
    X-Factor is a *personality* contest. It's Big Brother in the format of a singing-contest. No more about talent than professional wrestling is about sport.

Because Joe, Leona and Leon were the height of stunning personality?

It's easy to criticise someone for wanting to achieve winner's status, and glorify someone who was seen as the anti-vote. Wagner was not doing anything courageous or new. It was done by Chico, it was done by Jedward, and they all went out around the same time (actually, Chico got to the final, didn't he?) Anybody who applies for X Factor does so to get their face on TV and gain exposure. Wagner's motives were no purer or more self-aware than Matt's, Cher's et al.

I'll say it again: fair play to Wagner. He did a good job to make it that far, but there are hundreds like him that apply each year. The show thrives on contestants like him, and next year there will be another one to generate thousands of 'anti-votes' and keep the show in the papers. When they want to take that contestant out, they'll do it as easily and as ruthlessly as they did with Wagner. In the end, it's not Wagner that benefits; it's Simon Cowell.
  • Options
    tenchgirltenchgirl Posts: 11,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This must be the "Interview" Dan wooten Tweeted about last night

danwootton Dan Wootton
    Wagner made a mistake not doing an interview this week. The Sunday Mirror him have shafted him by turning a few quotes at a gig to a 'fan'..
    danwootton Dan Wootton
    ..into an 'exclusive' interview. He would have been better to just get his side of the story out there in a way he wanted to.

another dont believe what you read in the papers eh.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    _elly001 wrote: »
    Because Joe, Leona and Leon were the height of stunning personality?

In a personality contest, as with music in general, middle of the road and inoffensive is an easier sell.

Wagner was the first contestant who was against the show while still in it, laughing at it in the same way a lot of the viewers now laugh at it. That is why he was so likeable to a lot of people, unlike say Jedward whose attitude alone was Marmite. Let alone their singing. Chico, Jedward, there were taking it seriously whilst being presented as the joke act.

Wagner was a completely different kettle of fish to what had gone before, and his success is more of a sign of how the show is now being perceived. It's less an Anti-Cowell thing, and more people trying to inject some unpredictability (and therefore entertainment) into a tired, overhyped format that has lost it's illusion of credibility.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In a personality contest, as with music in general, middle of the road and inoffensive is an easier sell.

Wagner was the first contestant who was against the show while still in it, laughing at it in the same way a lot of the viewers now laugh at it. That is why he was so likeable to a lot of people, unlike say Jedward whose attitude alone was Marmite. Let alone their singing. Chico, Jedward, there were taking it seriously whilst being presented as the joke act.

Wagner was a completely different kettle of fish to what had gone before, and his success is more of a sign of how the show is now being perceived. It's less an Anti-Cowell thing, and more people trying to inject some unpredictability (and therefore entertainment) into a tired, overhyped format that has lost it's illusion of credibility.

How has Wagner received any more tangible success than Jedward or Chico?

Believe me, I'm all for people waking up to how ridiculously manipulated and uncredible this show is, but the real test came last week when they decided Wagner needed to go. Guess what? He went. If he'd lasted up until the final, or even the semi-final, I'd have agreed with what you're trying to say about him. But he didn't change anything. He just made the show more money. He didn't do anything unpredictable or credible. To be honest, as much as I dislike her, the only act that's come even close to that this year is Katie with her 'sod it' moment, and then possibly Aiden and Nicolo refusing to play the usual good-natured smiling game upon being kicked out.

I really don't see what Wagner did which was so hugely different from any other contestant. Actually, I have just remembered one thing: his reply to Cheryl about the council estate comment was great. But that's about the only thing I can think of.
  • Options
    grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    tenchgirl wrote: »
    This must be the "Interview" Dan wooten Tweeted about last night

danwootton Dan Wootton
    Wagner made a mistake not doing an interview this week. The Sunday Mirror him have shafted him by turning a few quotes at a gig to a 'fan'..
    danwootton Dan Wootton
    ..into an 'exclusive' interview. He would have been better to just get his side of the story out there in a way he wanted to.

another dont believe what you read in the papers eh.

Hmmm - speaking off the cuff at a gig is different from a formal interview, I agree.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How has Wagner received any more tangible success than Jedward or Chico?

Believe me, I'm all for people waking up to how ridiculously manipulated and uncredible this show is, but the real test came last week when they decided Wagner needed to go. Guess what? He went. If he'd lasted up until the final, or even the semi-final, I'd have agreed with what you're trying to say about him. But he didn't change anything. He just made the show more money. He didn't do anything unpredictable or credible. To be honest, as much as I dislike her, the only act that's come even close to that this year is Katie with her 'sod it' moment, and then possibly Aiden and Nicolo refusing to play the usual good-natured smiling game upon being kicked out.

I really don't see what Wagner did which was so hugely different from any other contestant. Actually, I have just remembered one thing: his reply to Cheryl about the council estate comment was great. But that's about the only thing I can think of.

As I said, he was the first contestant openly against the show while he was in it. And while on the show outplaying them at their own game, handling everything from boos to Cheryl with a class and wit far above them.

Chico and Jedward were part of the machine, their demises engineered as carefully as Wagner's but they were themselves unknowing participants in it. They also never had anywhere NEAR as much stuff thrown at them by the X-Factor PR machine as Wagner had in the press.

His 'success' was not only to survive all that as long as he did, but also to handle it all in a knowing way which said he was above the circus he was part of. The middle-of-the-road will always usually come out on top, or the heavy-sell, but Wagner showed the show is on it's way down. Ratings-heavy, but controversy laden, just like Big Brother 7.

And mirroring this year's final Big Brother when Sam Pepper livened up a show that was basically dead on it's feet and seen as too predictable.

Wagner was the reason to watch this year, how long he would survive the only exciting element of the Sunday shows, everything else from performances to the sing-off had been rendered irrelevant. That is his success, and he managed it by also being very funny, entertaining and memorable as well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As I said, he was the first contestant openly against the show while he was in it. And while on the show outplaying them at their own game, handling everything from boos to Cheryl with a class and wit far above them.

Chico and Jedward were part of the machine, their demises engineered as carefully as Wagner's but they were themselves unknowing participants in it. They also never had anywhere NEAR as much stuff thrown at them by the X-Factor PR machine as Wagner had in the press.

His 'success' was not only to survive all that as long as he did, but also to handle it all in a knowing way which said he was above the circus he was part of. The middle-of-the-road will always usually come out on top, or the heavy-sell, but Wagner showed the show is on it's way down. Ratings-heavy, but controversy laden, just like Big Brother 7.

And mirroring this year's final Big Brother when Sam Pepper livened up a show that was basically dead on it's feet and seen as too predictable.

Wagner was the reason to watch this year, how long he would survive the only exciting element of the Sunday shows, everything else from performances to the sing-off had been rendered irrelevant. That is his success, and he managed it by also being very funny, entertaining and memorable as well.

Well, to some people he was the only reason to watch. To me, and others, he was predictable and formulaic. I didn't see him handling the boos with any more self-awareness than Jedward did last year. If people are booing you, you basically have two options: let them get to you or brush them off. Wagner brushed them off, sure, but that hardly qualifies him as media-savvy, just sensible.

And Jedward had LOADS thrown at them last year, and were a lot younger and more innocent than Wagner. They essentially proved themselves to be nice kids and are now reaping the benefits of 'playing along'. Not sure if Wagner will have made as much as them in a year's time, but he could prove me wrong.

The only reason Chico didn't get as much thrown at him was because the show was still in its infancy and not as many people (and crucially, the media) cared about it so much.

Finally, how was Wagner openly against the show? What did he do that showed us this? Even when challenged about his song choices, he said he was happy with them. If you can point out specific instances where he openly showed himself to be above the show, go ahead. I'm struggling to think of any. From my perspective, I think he pretty much towed the company line.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, to some people he was the only reason to watch. To me, and others, he was predictable and formulaic. I didn't see him handling the boos with any more self-awareness than Jedward did last year. If people are booing you, you basically have two options: let them get to you or brush them off. Wagner brushed them off, sure, but that hardly qualifies him as media-savvy, just sensible.

And Jedward had LOADS thrown at them last year, and were a lot younger and more innocent than Wagner. They essentially proved themselves to be nice kids and are now reaping the benefits of 'playing along'. Not sure if Wagner will have made as much as them in a year's time, but he could prove me wrong.

The only reason Chico didn't get as much thrown at him was because the show was still in its infancy and not as many people (and crucially, the media) cared about it so much.

Finally, how was Wagner openly against the show? What did he do that showed us this? Even when challenged about his song choices, he said he was happy with them. If you can point out specific instances where he openly showed himself to be above the show, go ahead. I'm struggling to think of any. From my perspective, I think he pretty much towed the company line.

Wagner produced epic quote after epic quote, the way he spoke on ITV2 was in a league above all the other contestants that go through the Mill that is X-Factor. The mocking of Cheryl with the rose-tinted version of events to highlight her hypocrisy in using the press against him. His ironic delivery of Creep. The list is endless ...

And you missed his infamous telephone call then?

When on the show he didn't 'play along' like the others, he outplayed them with a knowing smile and humour that was lost on a lot of people.

Jedward got stick, but Wagner's was an attempt at character assassination through all the lowest tricks in the book. Benefits stories, weirdo, perv, drugs etc. etc. By the way he handled it all though he just turned himself into a cult figure, and anti-hero, because the manipulation of the show has become so blatant in all areas this year.

You really should give the man some more credit, he was far more intelligent than the persona the show tried to give him (as the 'joke' act) implied. His success is as much down to the show's failings as anything else. Wagner was smart enough to capitalise on those failings, and he did so admirably.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wagner produced epic quote after epic quote, the way he spoke on ITV2 was in a league above all the other contestants that go through the Mill that is X-Factor. The mocking of Cheryl with the rose-tinted version of events to highlight her hypocrisy in using the press against him. His ironic delivery of Creep. The list is endless ...

And you missed his infamous telephone call then?

When on the show he didn't 'play along' like the others, he outplayed them with a knowing smile and humour that was lost on a lot of people.

Jedward got stick, but Wagner's was an attempt at character assassination through all the lowest tricks in the book. Benefits stories, weirdo, perv, drugs etc. etc. By the way he handled it all though he just turned himself into a cult figure, and anti-hero, because the manipulation of the show has become so blatant in all areas this year.

You really should give the man some more credit, he was far more intelligent than the persona the show tried to give him (as the 'joke' act) implied. His success is as much down to the show's failings as anything else. Wagner was smart enough to capitalise on those failings, and he did so admirably.

'Wagner produced epic quote after epic quote' - Where are these epic quotes? Seriously, I'm not trying to be obtuse, I'm genuinely not sure what you're talking about?

' the way he spoke on ITV2 was in a league above all the other contestants that go through the Mill that is X-Factor' - I don't always watch Xtra factor so I'll have to take your word for it, but whenever I saw him speaking it was to spout some religious analogy which I didn't really 'get', not finding religion a particularly funny matter.

'The mocking of Cheryl with the rose-tinted version of events to highlight her hypocrisy in using the press against him.' - I've already agreed this was a great moment. Probably his only one.

'His ironic delivery of Creep.' - Oh, come on! Creep is probably the most ironic song in existence. Even One Direction would have a hard time making it sound sincere!

'And you missed his infamous telephone call then?' - Do you mean the one that newspaper reported on where he slagged off Simon Cowell a bit? Sure, it was self-aware, and it was accurate. But he didn't do it to show the X Factor up for what it was, he was having a conversation about it, and I expect as soon as the details came out, he was probably a little embarrased by it.

You could say this about any of the contestants. If something is 'lost on a lot of people' (and I'd consider mysef to be reasonably intelligent and up to speed with how this type of humour works) then it perhaps isn't as effective as you'd first hoped.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    So what *exactly* did Wagner say about Cheryl if he rose tinted things? I have to say though his response was brilliant :D
    He always came out with something classic on Xtra Factor too.
    "I am with God - who is against me?"
    "I am like a rock, haters are like waves. They break when they hit me"

:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well we are just going to have to agree to differ on our appreciation of the man then.

But the Cheryl moment wasn't his finest hour, that was on ITV2 to the boo'ing crowd and his "I am a rock. The boos are like waves, they break when they hit me". His description of Matt as a crying baby who wants his nappy changed is also inspired. There's lots of Wagner quotes out there if you want to find them, I've not even known another contestant to even say ONE thing memorable. Let alone a whole catalogue.

The only other memorable things that have been said is the mishearing of Dermot saying c*nt, and Katie's sod it moment born from her painfully desperate need for fame and attention possibly slipping away from her. In contrast, Wagner has been like a breath of fresh air.

And if you didn't see how Wagner took Creep to a whole new level of irony by the manner in which he delivered it, after 2 weeks solid of The Sun hammering home the phrase "the weirdo Brazilian" in literally every article about the man, then I just don't think you liked him.

Wagner's Creep was actually the most powerful moment of the series for me, and for all the right reasons. It summed up exactly what the show is and what it has become. Sung by someone who got it and was there on the inside dealing with it. A much better way of handling it than bursting into tears at every opportunity as you are chewed up and spat out like all the rest.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You got the boos quote right - my bad :D That was one of Wagner's best quotes. I also liked his quotes about karate and music.
    The mishearing of Dermot saying "Good luck c*nt" and Katie's sod it comment were classics :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well we are just going to have to agree to differ on our appreciation of the man then.

But the Cheryl moment wasn't his finest hour, that was on ITV2 to the boo'ing crowd and his "I am a rock. The boos are like waves, they break when they hit me". His description of Matt as a crying baby who wants his nappy changed is also inspired. There's lots of Wagner quotes out there if you want to find them, I've not even known another contestant to even say ONE thing memorable. Let alone a whole catalogue.

The only other memorable things that have been said is the mishearing of Dermot saying c*nt, and Katie's sod it moment born from her painfully desperate need for fame and attention possibly slipping away from her. In contrast, Wagner has been like a breath of fresh air.

And if you didn't see how Wagner took Creep to a whole new level of irony by the manner in which he delivered it, after 2 weeks solid of The Sun hammering home the phrase "the weirdo Brazilian" in literally every article about the man, then I just don't think you liked him.

Wagner's Creep was actually the most powerful moment of the series for me, and for all the right reasons. It summed up exactly what the show is and what it has become. Sung by someone who got it and was there on the inside dealing with it. A much better way of handling it than bursting into tears at every opportunity as you are chewed up and spat out like all the rest.

We are going to have to agree to disagree. Personally, I could find a whole load of Aiden quotations that I think are funnier than the Wagner ones you posted, but you would probably just shrug and fail to see the humour, just as I do with Wagner. The only thing we can take from this is Wagner might be some kind of brilliant genius to you and the rest of his fans, but to me and many others he's a vaguely interesting guy who got lucky and was dispensed of as easily as any of the other contestants.

I really don't see how Wagner delivered Creep in any sort of knowingly ironic manner, short of the lyrics themselves which he didn't come up with. He isn't a patch on Thom Yorke (now there is a real genius), let's face it.
  • Options
    DarksiderDarksider Posts: 292
    Forum Member
    Wasn't there a 'Wagner quotes' thread started on here? Can't seem to find it.
    My favourite quote (already posted this on the appreciation thread) is:
    "Because once you start singing, you enter into another dimension, which has only beauty."
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We are going to have to agree to disagree. Personally, I could find a whole load of Aiden quotations that I think are funnier than the Wagner ones you posted, but you would probably just shrug and fail to see the humour, just as I do with Wagner. The only thing we can take from this is Wagner might be some kind of brilliant genius to you and the rest of his fans, but to me and many others he's a vaguely interesting guy who got lucky and was dispensed of as easily as any of the other contestants.

I really don't see how Wagner delivered Creep in any sort of knowingly ironic manner, short of the lyrics themselves which he didn't come up with. He isn't a patch on Thom Yorke (now there is a real genius), let's face it.

It's *how* he sung it, knowing that it was meant to be all some big in-joke on the part of the show and deliberately played on the phrases the media had been sowing for the past 2 weeks. All part of the X-Factor PR machine at work.

He sung it well, and with emotion, and the emotion was real because it was throwing it all back in their faces.

The painfully scripted comments from the judges, which they must have been chuckling away at in the week running up to the show, only served to demonstrate that more.

And comparing Thom Yorke to any X-Factor contestant is a bit like a reverse Godwin's Law as far as differences of opinion go ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Darksider - that was great :)
    Aiden's line after Dermy asked him what he'd too next and he said "Have a beer" was funny :D Nicolo had been hilarious on his Twitter page.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's *how* he sung it, knowing that it was meant to be all some big in-joke on the part of the show and deliberately played on the phrases the media had been sowing for the past 2 weeks. All part of the X-Factor PR machine at work.

He sung it well, and with emotion, and the emotion was real because it was throwing it all back in their faces.

The painfully scripted comments from the judges, which they must have been chuckling away at in the week running up to the show, only served to demonstrate that more.

And comparing Thom Yorke to any X-Factor contestant is a bit like a reverse Godwin's Law as far as differences of opinion go ;)

But really, how was he supposed to sing it? He had no big production, no dancers, no gimicks - and I doubt that was his decision. He was forced to sing it in the way that he did because it was literally him with a microphone singing a mean but nonetheless great song choice. Yeah, it was his best performance in terms of vocal quality, but that wouldn't have been difficult because he wasn't jumping around all over the stage. He was never a terrible singer, which was how he got to the judge's house in the first place. He couldn't have done Creep in any other way without looking like a bit of a sour grape.