The Royle Family Christmas Special Thread

Comments

• guernseysnailguernseysnail Posts: 18,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There hasn't been much on this Christmas that I've really enjoyed, but this was one of the better Christmas offerings, I found the last 2 specials nothing of the sort, so nice to see them back at home, thought Saskia was a fab addition to the family, and fitted in well, The ashes in the urn was quite relevent to me as my granny is on the sideboard and we all raised a glass to her on Christmas Day..:D
  • DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's like when a band becomes popular, you'll always get the people who'll say their first album was the best. :rolleyes:

Sometimes they'll be right!
  • CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh dear, there goes the Dyson.
  • FroodFrood Posts: 13,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought it was excellent.

Joe and Anthony were quite superb.

Jim was Jim - close to vile but never quite crossing that line.

Jim dishing out the turkey was a great visual gag.

And the photographs scene:D:D:D

But the best of all was Joe ceremonially picking up the Dyson:D:D:D:D:D
  • Pistol WhipPistol Whip Posts: 9,677
    Forum Member
    Brilliant episode, certainly one of the best and a world away from the disasterous "The Golden Egg Cup". "Joe's Crackers" is certainly up there (but not quite reaching) "The Queen of Sheba".

The script was hilarious, from visions of a conga line at a funeral to dentures on a bedside table. "She's certified insane" was a pearler as was Joe calling Saskia "swastika" and Cheryl drinking nearly two pints of Bailey's in ten minutes.

What did let it down though was Jim. He's gone from being mildly annoyed at the world to borderline nasty and aggresive but then again I suppose age does do that to some people. Although, his serving up the Christmas turkey enduced more than a smile, especially as he sat open toed next to Saskia.

I'd give it 9/10 this year, back on form at last.
  • BigBmadBigBmad Posts: 18,258
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Watching it 4 times now. Considering I have never watched the previous 2 specials more then once this shows how much better this one has been

My only worry is the only 2 specials which have been good have involved the death of someone :(
  • zoepaulpennyzoepaulpenny Posts: 15,951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    if twiggy dies. god forbid he is a brill actor. or they kill of joe. it will go down hill. i think we need to see the kids more often..:eek:
  • DoctorQuiDoctorQui Posts: 6,428
    Forum Member
    What was the story with Anthony and Emma (Sheridan Smith).

The first Christmas special had her parents coming over, talking about, amongst other stuff, how they were going to set Anthony and Emma up because she was pregnant.

The next time we saw Anthony was in the Queen of Sheba where I thought he was working successfully for Emma's Dad and now he is with a new one who is also pregnant.

Anyone know the back story?
  • legomattylegomatty Posts: 257
    Forum Member
    DoctorQui wrote: »
    Its not really a sit com though is it, not in the strictest sense!Its a parody of working class life and cleverly written dialogue, there are very few situations as such!:)

:confused: Yes it is! The definition of a Sitcom is "a comedy which has recurring characters in a common environment", eg a home or a workplace. Which, to me, describes The Royle Family perfectly.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DoctorQui wrote: »
    What was the story with Anthony and Emma (Sheridan Smith).

The first Christmas special had her parents coming over, talking about, amongst other stuff, how they were going to set Anthony and Emma up because she was pregnant.

The next time we saw Anthony was in the Queen of Sheba where I thought he was working successfully for Emma's Dad and now he is with a new one who is also pregnant.

Anyone know the back story?

Anthony referred to 'Lewis' this could be his son with Emma, presumably Sheridan Smith wasn't involved with this episode so they bought in Saskia as a replacement.
  • The Alpha GamerThe Alpha Gamer Posts: 3,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was terrible this year, which is a shame as last year's was brilliant!
  • trinity2002trinity2002 Posts: 16,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anthony referred to 'Lewis' this could be his son with Emma, presumably Sheridan Smith wasn't involved with this episode so they bought in Saskia as a replacement.

Anthony split up with Emma years ago :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Lewis was in The Queen of Sheba and it was revealed then (2006) that Anthony and Emma had split up.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anthony split up with Emma years ago :)
    CD93 wrote: »
    Lewis was in The Queen of Sheba and it was revealed then (2006) that Anthony and Emma had split up.

Yes that's what I meant, didn't word it very well, I knew they'd split and Saskia was his new girlfriend, too many Baileys after a big lunch...:D:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am currently watching this as I downloaded it from Iplayer.

I found the scene when Joe was talking about Marys funeral and Jim laughing very nasty.

Mary was a good friend to Barbara and Jim laughing at Marys funeral was very insensitive to Joes feeling, especially Barbara
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am currently watching this as I downloaded it from Iplayer.

I found the scene when Joe was talking about Marys funeral and Jim laughing very nasty.

Mary was a good friend to Barbara and Jim laughing at Marys funeral was very insensitive to Joes feeling, especially Barbara

It was hardly Mary's death that set everyone (except Barbara) around the table off... it was Joe's awesome poem.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Also, Joe and Cheryl may of had no choice to move out as Joe pulled out a SOLD sign so next door has been sold
  • boogie woogieboogie woogie Posts: 16,297
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought it was terrible this year, which is a shame as last year's was brilliant!

Have to disagree, Joe's Crackers is far superior to the Golden Eggcup.
  • StigOfTheKrumpStigOfTheKrump Posts: 36,363
    Forum Member
    Is it true that 'Joe's Crackers' was the last ever episode?
    :confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 193
    Forum Member
    I loved the bit where Joe picks up the Dyson and carries it to his home while the music of 'Officer and a Gentleman' plays in the background
  • Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,919
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it true that 'Joe's Crackers' was the last ever episode?
    :confused:

YES THERE ISN'T ANOTHER ONE PLANNED FOR THIS YEAR
  • gagaaddictgagaaddict Posts: 1,444
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Joe's Crackers" (the 2010 Christmas special) is being repeated on 21st December on BBC One at 9pm.

I cannot wait, I was thinking it was going to be dire as I really didn't enjoy the 2009 "The Golden Egg Cup" special. But this was a pleasent surprise and one of my favorite things I watched of Xmas last year.

"Do you have any pictures of Mary not in the urn?" :D
  • boogie woogieboogie woogie Posts: 16,297
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So disappointed that there's not gonna be a Christmas special this year:cry: Last year's was a huge improvement.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 304
    Forum Member
    So disappointed that there's not gonna be a Christmas special this year:cry: Last year's was a huge improvement.

What are they putting on in its place ?
  • gagaaddictgagaaddict Posts: 1,444
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eastenders/Absolutely Fabulous.