DS injecting ad links into users posts (Merged)

Comments

• s2ks2k Posts: 7,415
    Forum Member
    anniebrion wrote: »
    You could remove the filter subscriptions and create custom filters for the ones you don't wish to see.
    This is basically how ABP is set up on my computer. I use it on-demand to block stuff that makes noise, causes the browser to lag, has broken formatting that obstructs the page, or is generally annoying in some other way. This has normally been sufficient in most cases.

To elaborate, I have no objections to the odd banner here and there providing it doesn't distract from the page. Having peoples posts manipulated into links to 3rd party websites is both intrusive and a security issue.
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    d'@ve wrote: »
    Sadly, though I am happy to support DS advertising, this is a step too far. Unfortunately, Kaspersky does not block these in-text adverts so I have been forced to use adblock-plus for the first time, even though it's more aggressive than I need. Sadly, it also blocks many ads I would have been happy to see.

TBH, I feel the same.

Might sound a bit daft to some people but I like DS and I appreciate that they have to make money from ad's so I deliberately click a few each day, just to generate traffic.

If they're gonna start mucking up people's actual posts with adverts, however, I'll have to start using an adblocker. :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    TBH, I feel the same.

Might sound a bit daft to some people but I like DS and I appreciate that they have to make money from ad's so I deliberately click a few each day, just to generate traffic.

If they're gonna start mucking up people's actual posts with adverts, however, I'll have to start using an adblocker. :(

Someone did that on my forum and Google Adwords through us off the scheme lol
  • m4rk1m4rk1 Posts: 4,084
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had something similar happen on a different site where certain words in my posts were turned into advertising links. I tracked the offending problem down to something embedded into the pages called 'akamaihd.net'.

Anyone who uses Firefox with NoScript will see the same site embedded into DS. When I blocked it,again with Noscript, it all stopped.

But quite frankly the amount of times this advertising problem comes up and the amount of times the same answers are given, I have run out of sympathy for anyone not using firefox, noscript and adblocker plus or anything else which does the same job.
  • StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    Nowt so far on Chrome with adblock and flashblock.
  • JayJay Posts: 244
    Administrator
    I imagine it would be kinda difficult to post here without being logged in. ;)

Just made THIS post and my reference to The Big Bang Theory has been turned into an Amazon advert, courtesy of skimlinks.

I think it's reasonable to assume that people only saw the adverts before logging in to post, as they're intended. :p But thanks - we'll look into this.
  • s2ks2k Posts: 7,415
    Forum Member
    m4rk1 wrote: »
    But quite frankly the amount of times this advertising problem comes up and the amount of times the same answers are given, I have run out of sympathy for anyone not using firefox, noscript and adblocker plus or anything else which does the same job.
    For some this simply isn't possible. Those using PCs without admin rights, people viewing on mobile devices etc Not to mention those less confident with computers who wouldn't know how to setup noscript or adblock.

Maybe i'm just being optimistic but I dont feel its unreasonable for someone to want to view the website in a browser of their own choice in its default state, and not have to worry about malware or dubious advertising.
  • lemonbunlemonbun Posts: 5,371
    Forum Member
    I always use Chrome with Ad-Blocker to access this site, the reason being that I have ended up with serious virus/trojan problems coming from ads on this site. I appreciate that it is a free site reliant on advertising, but they have allowed too many dodgy ads through in the past for me to take the risk.
  • m4rk1m4rk1 Posts: 4,084
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    s2k wrote: »
    For some this simply isn't possible. Those using PCs without admin rights, people viewing on mobile devices etc Not to mention those less confident with computers who wouldn't know how to setup noscript or adblock.

Maybe i'm just being optimistic but I dont feel its unreasonable for someone to want to view the website in a browser of their own choice in its default state, and not have to worry about malware or dubious advertising.

Your first point is a fair one but if someone stubbornly wants to persist with using the browser of their choice which cannot filter ads, that's the point where my sympathy runs out.
  • Tess-gTess-g Posts: 29,044
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is another thread that may be linked to this problem. http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1792907
    Seems that you shouldn't see the ad links if you are logged in. DS are looking in to it
  • krytenkkrytenk Posts: 1,796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm seeing them while logged in on my iPad. That said, whenever I try to "like" a comment on the news pages, 9 times out of 10 I'll get a message saying that I don't appear to be logged in - again only on the iPad. Probably unconnected, but you never know!
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, not experienced this yet, thankfully.
    Forum Member
    blueblade wrote: »
    No, not experienced this yet, thankfully.

I felt the same this morning, but it seems to have started tonight.

Occurs to me, if they're only supposed to appear when people aren't logged-in and they're appearing for some people and not others, could it be something to do with whether people are logging in via facebook or using a regular DS account?

FWIW, I'm just logging in using the old-fashioned method and I AM seeing them.
  • potatolegspotatolegs Posts: 5,099
    Forum Member

Occurs to me, if they're only supposed to appear when people aren't logged-in and they're appearing for some people and not others, could it be something to do with whether people are logging in via facebook or using a regular DS account?

What does that stand for Si_Crewe?
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,610
    Forum Member
    Jay Seery wrote: »
    Are those who are seeing them definitely logged in at the time?
    Definitely. Although the other thing which has changed yesterday is that my login is no longer remembered between sessions and there is no longer a "Keep me logged in" tick box on the login.
    Forum Member
    potatolegs wrote: »
    What does that stand for Si_Crewe?

"For What It's Worth"

Are you just trying to force me to type it in full? :mad: :p
  • potatolegspotatolegs Posts: 5,099
    Forum Member
    "For What It's Worth"

Are you just trying to force me to type it in full? :mad: :p

No, honestly didn't know what it meant. Sorry lol
    Should of Googled haha. :p
  • Tess-gTess-g Posts: 29,044
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I've been seeing them this evening and yesterday evening, I've never logged out in all my years here :D
  • EStaffs90EStaffs90 Posts: 13,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi folks,

We have intellitext adverts running for viewers who aren't logged in, but they shouldn't appear if you are. Are those who are seeing them definitely logged in at the time?

I've just turned Firefox on, navigated here and logged in. I'm seeing them on FF, but not on Chrome. (Connection between that and my use of Adblock are completely coincidental.)
  • Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Someone in the soap forum just wrote about Coronation Street being head & shoulders above the other soaps, and it turned the word into a link to a site selling the shampoo of the same name.

You couldn't make it up could you?:D
  • TerraCanisTerraCanis Posts: 14,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gilbertoo wrote: »
    Ah, fair enough if the adverts screw with peoples' PCs, but adverts which don't should just be accepted.

How do you know until it's too late?
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    Hi folks,

We have intellitext adverts running for viewers who aren't logged in, but they shouldn't appear if you are. Are those who are seeing them definitely logged in at the time?

Yes..
    Forum Member
    Gilbertoo wrote: »
    Ah, fair enough if the adverts screw with peoples' PCs, but adverts which don't should just be accepted.

It's not so much that they screw with people's PCs but that they're screwing with people's actual posts.

If my posts are going to become vehicles for corporate advertising, I'd rather that decision was left up to me.

Also, it's a bit hypocritical for DS to ban people for spamming links to their own websites while, at the same time, allowing people's posts to become adverts for paid sponsors.

This post was brought to you by Dell computers, Logitech peripherals and BT Internet Scottish Power. :o

*EDIT*
    And, for ultimate irony, skimlinks has turned all those brands into links. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    just noticed it in the XF forum when someone was talking about iTunes, thought it was my laptop for a sec
  • IzzySIzzyS Posts: 11,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I took this screenshot of an example of a text link embedded into someones post through Skimlinks, if it helps anyone:- http://i45.tinypic.com/2v8oksl.jpg
    I was logged in when that appeared, though the post is too far down the page to be able to capture a screenshot which proves im logged in but I was.
This discussion has been closed.