Options

Remake that is closest to the original?

Bedsit BobBedsit Bob Posts: 24,344
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Which remake have you seen, that you think is closest to the original version?

I'd say The Taking Of Pelham 123.

Aside from the ending, and the updated technology (eg. kid with wireless laptop) it's almost a perfect copy of the original.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Psycho (1998) was literally a shot by shot remake
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,187
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    xx~KC~xx wrote: »
    Psycho (1998) was literally a shot by shot remake

Psycho was the first film that came to my mind when I saw this thread.
  • Options
    Andy BirkenheadAndy Birkenhead Posts: 13,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Psycho was the first film that came to my mind when I saw this thread.

Me too ! Psycho
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 96
    Forum Member
    I'd say The Omen - when I saw it, it seemed to be shot by shot remade (apart from an extra scene I think).

The original is still the better version.
  • Options
    Octopus_PrimeOctopus_Prime Posts: 851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know I'm going to have spears thrown at me, but I really did think The Karate Kid (2010), was really good remake.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 767
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know I'm going to have spears thrown at me, but I really did think The Karate Kid (2010), was really good remake.

Closest to the original? Did he wax on / wax off? Did he catch the fly with chopsticks? Was there, indeed, any Karate?
  • Options
    finklyfinkly Posts: 669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah Psycho was the first that comes to mind.

Funny Games, too.
  • Options
    Peachy KeenPeachy Keen Posts: 2,577
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quarantine, the remake of [REC]
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,832
    Forum Member
    Another vote for Gus van Sant's ludicrously pointless remake of Psycho.
  • Options
    UltraVioletUltraViolet Posts: 7,673
    Forum Member
    Yep Psycho, and Funny Games are the obvious shot for shot ones. I prefer remakes to put their own contributions into their film, shot for shots are a bore.
  • Options
    Octopus_PrimeOctopus_Prime Posts: 851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gizzy77 wrote: »
    Closest to the original? Did he wax on / wax off? Did he catch the fly with chopsticks? Was there, indeed, any Karate?

wax on / wax off? No, but there was a slight reference when Jackie Chan was waxing the car.

Did he catch the fly with chopsticks? No, but yet again another reference before one gets splattered against the wall.

Was there, indeed, any Karate? No........but I'm sick and tired of tools like you making this point, Get a life!

IMO, the film still stays true to the original in many ways.

I copied this off IMDb:-

Aside from the obvious and most central plot points (Dre runs afoul of a bully, and eventually faces him at a tournament), the following similarities are seen:

--Dre lives in a single-parent household, raised by his mother, much like Daniel in the original.

--Cheng and his friends are not purely malicious at heart, but are taught to be by their own martial arts instructor who treats them very badly and rewards ruthlessness. Master Li even uses the tag line used by John Kreese in the original movie: "No Mercy."

--Mr. Han tries to catch flies with chopsticks, like Mr. Miyagi in the original.

--Mr. Han tries to reason with Master Li at his kung-fu school but is rebuffed. Mr. Han then arranges for Dre to participate in the tournament, with Master Li making the same agreement made between John Kreese and Mr. Miyagi in the original movie: That Cheng and his fellow students will stop bullying Dre in the meanwhile.

--Mr. Han teaches Dre basics by having him do repetitive mundane house-hold related tasks. His "Jacket on, Jacket off" exercise is clearly inspired by Mr. Miyagi's famous "Wax on, Wax off" from the original movie.

--Mr. Han hides a painful secret involving his family that eventually comes out while he is drunk, like Mr. Miyagi.

--In the tournament semi-finals, Master Li forces his student to sacrifice his place in the tournament by inflicting a severe injury on Dre's leg, resulting in the student's disqualification. Mr. Han helps him recover enough to face Cheng in the final bout.

--During the final match, Master Li demands that Cheng focus on Dre's hurt leg, and Cheng is reluctant but complies. Dre nonetheless wins using a fancy jumping move (much more flair and pizzazz than the 'Crane kick' used by Daniel in the original movie) and finally gains the two things he needed most by the end of the movie: 1) overcoming his fears, and 2) winning the respect of his nemesis
  • Options
    WizardjWizardj Posts: 3,646
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've gotta say Psycho too. Pointless remake :confused:
  • Options
    hardylanehardylane Posts: 3,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All remakes are pointless. If a film is memorable enough to make someone want to remake it, then it is memorable enough to remain as a singular piece of art.

I hate, loathe and detest them... and the fact that people actually seem to be paid for essentially ripping off someone else's idea for the sale of pure profit.

Psycho
    Karate Kid
    Quarantine
    ANY Japanese or Korean horror film
    Amityville Horror
    Texas Chainsaw Massacre
    Hills have Eyes
    Halloween
    Pink Panther
    Pelham 123

All crap.
  • Options
    SillyBillyGoatSillyBillyGoat Posts: 22,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was also going to say Psycho :o
  • Options
    ruddigerruddiger Posts: 2,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hardylane wrote: »
    All remakes are pointless. If a film is memorable enough to make someone want to remake it, then it is memorable enough to remain as a singular piece of art.

I hate, loathe and detest them... and the fact that people actually seem to be paid for essentially ripping off someone else's idea for the sale of pure profit.

Psycho
    Karate Kid
    Quarantine
    ANY Japanese or Korean horror film
    Amityville Horror
    Texas Chainsaw Massacre
    Hills have Eyes
    Halloween
    Pink Panther
    Pelham 123

All crap.

The Hills have Eyes remake was much better than the original. (imho)

Agree with the rest though.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,187
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ruddiger wrote: »
    The Hills have Eyes remake was much better than the original. (imho)

Agree with the rest though.

Well if others are gonna say which remakes they preferred to the originals, I'm gonna say Last House on the Left.