Options

john steinbeck. which is your favourite book ?

katywilkatywil Posts: 1,245
Forum Member
✭✭✭
i cant decide. ive just finished cannery row and i loved it. i read the grapes of wrath a few weeks ago, i loved that one too

Comments

• Options
    SHAFTSHAFT Posts: 4,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of Mice and Men. I think I've read it every year since iI was 16!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 611
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    East of Eden. Fantastic book.
  • Options
    TeddybleadsTeddybleads Posts: 6,814
    Forum Member
    I'm afraid I've only read The Grapes of Wrath so I'll have to go for that one.

I definatly intend to read more, but something else always comes up.
  • Options
    njpnjp Posts: 27,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    katywil wrote: »
    i cant decide. ive just finished cannery row and i loved it. i read the grapes of wrath a few weeks ago, i loved that one too
    Rather embarrassingly, I've only read Cannery Row. So that's my favourite.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SHAFT wrote: »
    Of Mice and Men. I think I've read it every year since iI was 16!

the film was really good but i think the book will be better.
  • Options
    MrsWatermelonMrsWatermelon Posts: 3,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like Of Mice and Men and The Pearl. I didn't like The Grapes of Wrath.
  • Options
    grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    I liked Of Mice and Men when I read it in school - the end is quite sad :cry:
    I've since noticed how many cartoons of the 40's (maybe 50's even) parodied George and Lennie with their characters :)
  • Options
    NorthernNinnyNorthernNinny Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    grimtales1 wrote: »
    I liked Of Mice and Men when I read it in school - the end is quite sad :cry:
    I've since noticed how many cartoons of the 40's (maybe 50's even) parodied George and Lennie with their characters :)

I read Of Mice and Men at school too,The Pearl has an equally sad ending.
  • Options
    finklyfinkly Posts: 669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    East of Eden is probably my favourite book from my favourite author. I adore it.
  • Options
    agrainofsandagrainofsand Posts: 8,693
    Forum Member
    Of Mice and Men for me.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 77
    Forum Member
    Of the few I have read East of Eden is definitely my favourite.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ive just bought East of eden. :)
  • Options
    MuggsyMuggsy Posts: 19,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Buntym wrote: »
    Of the few I have read East of Eden is definitely my favourite.

Same for me, but I'm rather fond of The Acts of King Arthur and his Noble Knights as well.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21
    Forum Member
    Of Mice and Men , it's the one that really stands out for me as had to write an English paper on it
  • Options
    zamba hamsterzamba hamster Posts: 755
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    of mice and men is the only one i have read but i find it boring. we have been doing it for months. i don't like the treatment of crooks or the portrayal of lennie
  • Options
    MissMusiqueMissMusique Posts: 2,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've only read Of Mice and Men, but totally adored it! If I ever have to recommend books to anybody, that's always one of the ones I do!
    I own a lot of Steinbeck's other books but don't know which one to start with next? Which ones would you guys recommend? I own Tortilla Flat and tried reading it about 4 times now but just cannot get into it at all and have stopped everytime.
    I'm tempted with either East of Eden or Cannery Row but can't choose which one! I'm terribly indecisive when it comes to choosing which book to read next, choice is difficult sometimes! :)
  • Options
    Elphie_LivesElphie_Lives Posts: 4,455
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    of mice and men is the only one i have read but i find it boring. we have been doing it for months. i don't like the treatment of crooks or the portrayal of lennie

You're not meant to.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've only read Of Mice and Men, but totally adored it! If I ever have to recommend books to anybody, that's always one of the ones I do!
    I own a lot of Steinbeck's other books but don't know which one to start with next? Which ones would you guys recommend? I own Tortilla Flat and tried reading it about 4 times now but just cannot get into it at all and have stopped everytime.
    I'm tempted with either East of Eden or Cannery Row but can't choose which one! I'm terribly indecisive when it comes to choosing which book to read next, choice is difficult sometimes! :)
    just close your eyes and grab one. :) i havent read tortilla flat , yet, im halfway through east of eden and im enjoying it very much. Cannery row i can highly recommend. i loved it. i think i can safely say, John steinbeck hasnt written a bad book going on other recommendations.
  • Options
    MissMusiqueMissMusique Posts: 2,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    just close your eyes and grab one. :) i havent read tortilla flat , yet, im halfway through east of eden and im enjoying it very much. Cannery row i can highly recommend. i loved it. i think i can safely say, John steinbeck hasnt written a bad book going on other recommendations.

I think that's what I'm going to do - close my eyes and pick at random. To be honest I'll definitely get around to reading all of them at some point so I suppose it doesn't really matter! :) glad you're enjoying east of Eden!
  • Options
    ViridianaViridiana Posts: 8,017
    Forum Member
    I've never read Cannery Row, You gave me a good suggestion now.

I've read the Of Mice and Men, The Grapes of Wrath, and East of Eden.

I liked East of Eden best, although The Grapes of Wrath was more intense.
  • Options
    InsideSoapInsideSoap Posts: 5,981
    Forum Member
    Of Mice and Men. I love that book, although every single time I read it I still wish and hope that the ending will be different. :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    can anyone tell me, which book is it where someone gets a vaccuum cleaner for his lady friend. everyone is impressed, even though the lady has no electricity, she still runs the vac around the house. im guessing its tortilla flat. i think i watched the film but im not sure.
  • Options
    Sally7Sally7 Posts: 1,843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    East of Eden

Fantastic story of a father and two sons torn apart by repression, love, jealousy, revenge, regret....a clever allegory of the biblical story of Cane and Abel.

It's years since I read it but I can remember how I was completely drawn into it and must add it to my bucket list of books to read again before I die:D
  • Options
    finklyfinkly Posts: 669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    can anyone tell me, which book is it where someone gets a vaccuum cleaner for his lady friend. everyone is impressed, even though the lady has no electricity, she still runs the vac around the house. im guessing its tortilla flat. i think i watched the film but im not sure.

yeah, it's tortilla flat.
  • Options
    MosheMoshe Posts: 58
    Forum Member
    I read alot of steinbeck many years ago. I found his output very uneven "Pastures of Heaven" was one of my favourites. I read "The Moon is Down" when I was about 12 & thought it was brilliant.
    I read "Grapes of Wrath" many years ago, & am just re reading it. Interesting.