Most annoying terms in tabloid papers

123457»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 419
    Forum Member
    TonyOther wrote: »
    That is the bloody person themselves being talked about. It happens all the time, people being contacted by the gossip columnists and confirming this, that and t'other (usually that they have just bought a pair of shoes) and then being described as 'a perfectily placed source'. Another popular one is 'a close friend'. No, it isn't, it's the bloody publicity-seeking bastard the hack is writing about.

Either that or it just plain made up:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogoIzeRMCVU
  • wilehelmaswilehelmas Posts: 3,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My boyfriend does. His middle name is gullible. If one of these rags calls say, Amy Childs stunning - then she is stunning! :rolleyes:

God help me..

Bless him. He probably writes for them on the sly.

We'll always be here for you when you need your fix of cynical. :D
  • angelafisherangelafisher Posts: 4,150
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My boyfriend does. His middle name is gullible. If one of these rags calls say, Amy Childs stunning - then she is stunning! :rolleyes:

God help me..

My hubby is like that too. I stopped buying the DM as he hung on every word they printed! Simply could not believe that they had that own agenda on the state of the world!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wardrobe malfunction - drives me insane!!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    decobelle wrote: »
    When they are talking about a pop star, say Jessie J, and refer to them as 'the Price Tag singer' etc. I don't know why but it annoys me!

YES I hate this too, I get that people might need the clue but it does grate on me!

More phrases and cliches that I hate:

sneak a peek (also because "peek" is often spelled "peak")
    emotional plea
    damning report
    swingeing cuts
    bubbly (think Lisa Riley, Vanessa Feltz)
    dangerous curves
    "Booze/Broke/Bulging Britain"
    "The parents of the victim spoke from their £600,000 home..."
    referring to children as "schoolgirl" or "schoolboy"
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 383
    Forum Member
    tegan1973 wrote: »
    Wardrobe malfunction - drives me insane!!!

Yes - usually means 'forgot to wear underwear' !
  • SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This isn't to do with tabloids but it is annoying. When a celebrity couple releases a statement announcing their split, it often includes the line that they have decided this "after much soul-searching". There's no searching of souls, it just comes down to them deciding that they can't be around each other any more!
  • grahamzxygrahamzxy Posts: 11,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Showed her ex what he's missing....('he' of course has usually left her for someone younger without kids) - it's never the other way around.....:mad::mad:

He/She looked like the cat that got the cream!! :mad::mad:

Alex & Chantelle 'frolicked' in the park!! :mad::mad:

Tabloid journalists and sub-editors - sound positively juvenile and appear very eccentric...
  • SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't see this so much now but I recall frequent references to heartbroken female celebrities "being comforted" by a male friend. Seeing the phrase in another thread reminded me of this. It does sound euphemistic!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12
    Forum Member
    'Crisis talks.' usually when a couple are on the verge of splitting
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 65
    Forum Member
    " .......... Kardashian"
  • workhorseworkhorse Posts: 2,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RuinedGirl wrote: »
    ''Reveals heartbreak...''
    For example ''*insert name of Z-List celeb* reveals heartbreak over love split/affair/long lost relative.''

And for the notoriously attention seeking Z-list celebs who are selling their sob stories to magazines every single week, they've made a new phrase, which is ''Reveals NEW heartbreak.''

yeah this .
  • wilehelmaswilehelmas Posts: 3,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The way they use 'a blonde' or 'the brunette' as a sexually-quantitive term. It's usually within a loaded paragraph re: 'stunners' and 'leggy 19 year old' or whatever.

How all the so-called witnesses to some couple's fanatsy date/romp ALL talk as if they belong to the Sun or Mirror's editing teams.
  • ValerianValerian Posts: 2,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Celebs don't give birth , they " Welcome " their baby to the world.
    People don't stand and get their photograph taken now,
    they " Posed up ", drives me crazy :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,888
    Forum Member
    "The stunning/leggy blonde/brunette/redhead"
    "A source told us,"
    "said to be heartbroken"

and anything that tries to convince us the kiss and tell girl is intelligent"Chantella McDesperate, has brains as well as beauty, she has a GCSE and is a model/actress, even though you have never heard of her before,"