Options

Do you see your parents every weekend?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,182
Forum Member
For those who still have parents, do you see them every single weekend? I often do, but just fancied a weekend to myself to catch up on chores and TV I haven't been able to see during the week because of work. Is it bad if you don't see your parents every weekend?

Comments

• Options
    Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,991
    Forum Member
    God no. Once a month is more than enough to see my mum. I do remember going to see my nan every Sunday growing up though
  • Options
    CELT1987CELT1987 Posts: 12,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Once a week. I have a meal there.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I live 250 miles away from mine so 2 or 3 times a year is enough for all of us.
  • Options
    epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No. I've spent very few weekends with my parents since I moved out when I was 18, and even fewer since I moved 5000 miles away eleven years ago. A bit of a pity I suppose, but the upside is when I do see them, we make the most of our time and get along great.
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    i`ve not seen my father for a couple of years and i see my mother as little as possible though she recently had a stroke so i`ve been seeing her in hospital at family member`s where she`s staying just now, i don`t much like her so i do avoid it when i can.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,182
    Forum Member
    God no. Once a month is more than enough to see my mum. I do remember going to see my nan every Sunday growing up though

That made me laugh. :D

We used to go see my nan every Saturday, but I feel like my parents want to come here every Saturday too, but sometimes I need to do stuff and can't when they're around. I hate just sitting down in front of the TV all day when there's stuff to do.
  • Options
    Safi74Safi74 Posts: 5,580
    Forum Member
    Sadly not. I see my mum most weeks as she helps in my class once a week, but dad less so. We talk everyday, just to catch up. I wish they still lived closer as I'd see them far more. They're only an hours drive either way, but at the end of a knackering week that is too far!
  • Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    No. About 2-3 times a year. (They're in Bolton and I'm in Bristol!).
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most days.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Most days.

You lucky thing!
  • Options
    Frankie_LittleFrankie_Little Posts: 9,271
    Forum Member
    My mum lives too far away for me to see her every weekend, although I do try to see her about once a month, especially since my dad died. She's alright though, she's not a lonely woman, she has a lot of old lady mates that she knocks about with, going out for pub lunches and theatre matinees, and seeing how far they can get on their free bus passes.

I don't think anyone should feel obliged to visit their parents though, not every single weekend, that's a heck of a commitment, particularly if you work Monday to Friday and only get weekends off.
  • Options
    The MartianThe Martian Posts: 1,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I go to parents to eat Sunday lunch and drop in maybe 2 or 3 times per week. My mom usually visits on Wednesday evenings just to make sure I'm keeping my place in order. :D

My dad visits once a month on average to smoke some weed and challenge me to games of FIFA. :cool:
  • Options
    kiviraatkiviraat Posts: 4,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not seen or spoken to my parents for almost 4 years. It's a beautiful thing. See my mother in law maybe once a year (would take at least 17 hours to get from my house to hers) and speak to her on the phone every month or so.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Safi74 wrote: »
    You lucky thing!

I live next door. They are both retired so will help out with childcare when we have a family and we will help look after them when they get old.
  • Options
    grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I see my Dad at least twice a week. Usually Tuesday or Wednesday we go out for lunch. Friday we collect grand-daughter (great grand-daughter in his case) from school the go for lunch together.

My sister takes him for lunch on Thursday and has him for Sunday dinner.

My son and daughter-in-law usually pop in to see him when they are out doing their 5k run

We also go on holiday with him for 3 weeks every year.

He's 90 going on 19 !

Having devoted so much time to raise us, it's the least we can do. I think people forget how lonely elderly people can get and contact - even just a 5 minute phone call - makes all the difference.

In my book, you should go out of your way to see / speak to your parents (unless they abused you of course). Life is too short to have regrets.
  • Options
    venusinflaresvenusinflares Posts: 4,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I see my parents at least once per week, sometimes more often. We live quite close to them though.
  • Options
    muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I speak to Mum every day and see her and Dad around 2-3 times a week, sometimes more, sometimes less, depending upon how they are feeling. I drive them when they need it/when I can and help out with shopping, etc. They moved down here when I was getting divorced, it's only 20 mins to their house.

He has severe dementia and doesn't really know who I am and she has just last week been told her cancer had returned, so I will also be babysitting Dad when Mum starts her chemo in a couple of weeks and helping out with him.

My younger brother lives in Holland and comes over 2-3 times a year and calls each week, older brother lives in Surrey, he seldom comes to see them.
  • Options
    EspressoEspresso Posts: 18,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We used to live in different countries, so I saw them maybe once a year.
    Now we live in the same town, so I see them a few times a week.
    Lovely folk, my parents.
  • Options
    LuckyyemLuckyyem Posts: 598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I see my mum at least once a week. I speak to her daily. My dad lives in Canada and we did try and visit once a year, what with the expense and having two young children that hasn't been possible for the past couple of years. We are going over for Christmas this year though (stupidly excited, I can't wait!!) and it will be 3.5yrs since we have been together in person. We do text/email/whatsapp most days though and Skype once a week.

We see my mother in law about once a month but text/speak regularly.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I live next door. They are both retired so will help out with childcare when we have a family and we will help look after them when they get old.

Sounds ideal to me 😊.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't speak to my Mum and haven't seen my Dad for years. See my MIL 3 or 4 times a year and speak to her most days but she's 350 miles away unfortunately.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds ideal to me 😊.

Sounds horrendous to me.

It's not that we don't get on but being over 200 miles apart is a comfortable distance.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,510
    Forum Member
    I tried to see my mum a couple of times a week but it was hard going...difficult woman. I drove her to supermarket and doctors etc, my brother and sister did nothing, due to distance, but when she died it was like I wasn't even her daughter !!
    I used to phone my dad once a week but he always asked why I was phoning so I stopped and waited for him to call me................still waiting
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds ideal to me 😊.

It is for me :)

I think it tends to be more of an Asian thing though. I would have had an elderly parent move in with me if need be, but living so close, but under separate roofs is ideal. It's not such a common thing with modern British families though. The in-laws only live a few miles away in the next village, which is pretty handy too. Family is very important IMO.
  • Options
    cahcah Posts: 24,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to see my Mum and Dad (when he was alive) everyday as we lived just round the corner from from another ,Now i live 350 miles away so only get to see my Mum maybe 3-4 times a year sadly,but i make sure i phone her everyday to check she's ok as she's 85