Options

Official Snooker Thread (Part 3)

Comments

• Options
    Terrence ChantTerrence Chant Posts: 1,334,685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MarkBeales wrote: »
    But a tennis match is generally a lot shorter than a best of 19 snooker match
    Well, using the same morning, afternoon and evening session format that'd be three sessions a day. 128 sessions would be needed for best of 19 last 128 matches (64 ties x 2 sessions per match). 128 /3 = 43 if you round up.

So that'd take 43 days if you had one table :D

However if you had 15 tables you could do it in three days, so with careful scheduling I'd say it's doable.
  • Options
    EPYEPY Posts: 6,396
    Forum Member
    Gould and Selby are still playing their first frame, almost 45 minutes gone...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was about to say, have the live scores on World Snooker got it wrong?! Been watching Trump take a 3-1 lead, tuned into website to check the other score and it's about 38-34 in the first frame still!

Would suit Selby more you'd think, Gouldy's more of a brisk, attacking player...
  • Options
    Darren LethemDarren Lethem Posts: 61,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The world snooker championship is already the longest continuous annual sporting event in the world ( at 17 days )
  • Options
    clarky323clarky323 Posts: 10,887
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1-0 to Selby :D

looooong frame!
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well, using the same morning, afternoon and evening session format that'd be three sessions a day. 128 sessions would be needed for best of 19 last 128 matches (64 ties x 2 sessions per match). 128 /3 = 43 if you round up.

However if you had 15 tables you could do it in three days, so with careful scheduling I'd say it's doable.

I have changed my mind. 43 days sounds perfect to me. :cool: I fully support our leader in his endeavours. ;)
  • Options
    Xavier QuebeckXavier Quebeck Posts: 78,438
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Trump beats Bingham 4-1 to set up a last eight match with Ronnie O'Sullivan. Its a shame they keep meeting in early rounds. Hopefully come Sheffield they will be in opposite halves of the draw and play in the final.

Selby also through. He has just beaten Martin Gould 4-1.

Good Quarter final line up

Shaun Murphy v Mark Allen
    Ronnie O'Sullivan v Judd Trump
    Ding Junhui v Stephen Lee
    Mark Selby v Stephen Maguire
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Trump beats Bingham 4-1 to set up a last eight match with Ronnie O'Sullivan. Its a shame they keep meeting in early rounds. Hopefully come Sheffield they will be in opposite halves of the draw and play in the final.

Thats not the draw order is it ?

I thought Ronnie was in bottom half
  • Options
    Xavier QuebeckXavier Quebeck Posts: 78,438
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thats not the draw order is it ?

I thought Ronnie was in bottom half

Not sure if it's the order to be honest. I just got it of one of the bookmakers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Its Ding V Lee plays winner of Smurf V Allen
    and Ronnie V Trump plays winner of Selby V Magpie
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its Ding V Lee plays winner of Smurf V Allen
    and Ronnie V Trump plays winner of Selby V Mad Dog
    Minor alteration to the draw ;)
  • Options
    jake1981jake1981 Posts: 5,716
    Forum Member

Imagine you were first match on in Round 1 and last match on in Round 2.
    Be a bit of a long wait :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Minor alteration to the draw ;)

Is it ? they changed it around have they ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is it ? they changed it around have they ?
    Lol, no I was just messing about....I changed 'magpie' no 'mad dog' :o:D
  • Options
    Suitcase BeraoSuitcase Berao Posts: 6,078
    Forum Member
    I've been enjoying listening to the Spaceman on commentary during this, although Darren Morgan hasn't really added much.

A few years back Dale seemed to be getting primed for a main gig with the Beeb (a la JP, the Nugget, JV, Dennis etc) yet for some reason he just got dropped. Does anyone know why? I certainly prefer him to Doherty and would gladly welcome him back into the main fold coverage.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe as Doherty has a bigger profile, i.e former World Champion, he gained precedence over Dale. Mind, status as a player has never stopped JV or Willie ;)

I also think that when he finishes playing, or he starts to slide down the rankings, they'll get Murphy on board as an analyst / commentator. Say what you like about him, but he always speaks articulately and intelligently about the game.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Maybe as Doherty has a bigger profile, i.e former World Champion, he gained precedence over Dale. Mind, status as a player has never stopped JV or Willie ;)

I also think that when he finishes playing, or he starts to slide down the rankings, they'll get Murphy on board as an analyst / commentator. Say what you like about him, but he always speaks articulately and intelligently about the game.
    I take it you mean 1979 UK Champion, John Virgo, and unbeatable in practice and on his own table in Leicester, Willie Thorne?

Yeah, they do seem to be easing Murphy in with his various spots and talking heads ditto with Selby. I like what I have heard of Hendry so far, but don't know whether it is more to do with the fact that he is a new fresh voice, and to me, the BBC Commentary team feels pretty stale now (personally I'd keep JP (but stick with him in the studio only), Davis (fine on commentary or as pundit), Dennis and Willie but the rest can go).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why is Dominic Dale nicknamed the Spaceman ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Why is Dominic Dale nicknamed the Spaceman ?
    I thought it was due to a his wacky dress sense and his 'out there' personality.
  • Options
    George LGeorge L Posts: 311
    Forum Member
    The world snooker championship is already the longest continuous annual sporting event in the world ( at 17 days )

The Tour de France lasts three weeks.

(although there is a rest day in there so whether you count that as "continuous" or not I don't know)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    George L wrote: »
    The Tour de France lasts three weeks.

(although there is a rest day in there so whether you count that as "continuous" or not I don't know)

You have answered your own question. Thats why I used the word continuous.
  • Options
    BosoxBosox Posts: 14,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    During the interval on BBC Wales they had a feature on the new Chinese ref, no offence to her or the other snooker refs but isn't their job the easiest in the whole of sport? What difficult tasks do they have to accomplish? They used to at least have to work if balls had to be replaced after a foul but even that seems easy now as they are guided by freeze frames. What sets apart a good snooker ref from a bad one? How they say 'settle down now' when the crowd gets a bit rowdy?
  • Options
    The_abbottThe_abbott Posts: 26,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    china open qualifying draw has been made.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bosox wrote: »
    During the interval on BBC Wales they had a feature on the new Chinese ref, no offence to her or the other snooker refs but isn't their job the easiest in the whole of sport? What difficult tasks do they have to accomplish? They used to at least have to work if balls had to be replaced after a foul but even that seems easy now as they are guided by freeze frames. What sets apart a good snooker ref from a bad one? How they say 'settle down now' when the crowd gets a bit rowdy?
    Made me chuckle, but I think you're being a bit harsh to be fair.

Being a ref demands constant concentration, often over a long duration. Remember, on every shot the pros feather the white within millimetres of a touch foul, so effectively evey shot the refs have something to do.

Not only that, but a bizarre incident can throw itself up at any given point, as we saw with Jan Ver Haas in the Higgins / Dott match at the Masters last month, so you have to be on your mettle all the time, in case an unusual occurrence materialises and you have to remember a rule that seldom comes into use.
  • Options
    TungstenTungsten Posts: 2,883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    O'Sullivan 5-3 Trump. Brilliant match.
This discussion has been closed.