Options

What are you reading at the moment? (Part 4)

Comments

• Options
    Cellar_DoorCellar_Door Posts: 2,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fredster wrote: »
    Youv'e got me hooked, just finished the "Good Father" my first Diane Chamberlain book, and I loved it!

I've got a couple downloaded on my kindle but have been reluctant to start them as a lot of people have said she's like Jodi picoult, and I'm not keen on her writing so they've been gathering virtual dust.
  • Options
    Becky SharpeBecky Sharpe Posts: 669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have just got started on Tom Wolfe's I am Charlotte Simmons [= too early for my cack-handed attempt at any 'reviewage', though :D ] .
    benjamini wrote: »
    I have not read it but The Bonfire of the Vanities is one of my best ever books. Will be interested in your views on it.

Thanks for asking :).. it's been a few years since reading 'Bonfire', so I will come back and post. However my immediate impression is that BOTV is vastly different from Charlotte Simmons. I'm still trying to get my head around the latter - about attending a U.S.A Ivy League college - which makes Dave Cameron + Boris Johnson's membership of elite University societies such as [Oxford's] Bullingdon Club seem like a girl guides' picnic :eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Alone in Berlin by Hans Fallada: A fictional book, based on a true story, describing the life in Germany under the Third Reich.
    Fallada introduces the reader to a world where fear and terror rule and the dread of being snitched upon is on everyone’s mind.
    I absolutely loved this book! I couldn't put it down - I thought it was so interesting to read something about the resistance to the Nazi regime in Germany - you don't really hear too much about that. When I was studying that period in history I don't remember any mention of German resistance and I think it's important!..
    PamelaL wrote: »
    Alone In Berlin by Hans Fallada. I'm enjoying it.

Me 'fourth' :)
  • Options
    ilovehuhuilovehuhu Posts: 124
    Forum Member
    Trainspotting
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ilovehuhu wrote: »
    Trainspotting

Haven't read the above yet. However, IW appears to have recently hit the bullseye in other respects ;) > http://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/did-irvine-welsh-model-ecstasy-necrophiliac-on-jimmy-savile-8224934.html
  • Options
    benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for asking :).. it's been a few years since reading 'Bonfire', so I will come back and post. However my immediate impression is that BOTV is vastly different from Charlotte Simmons. I'm still trying to get my head around the latter - about attending a U.S.A Ivy League college - which makes Dave Cameron + Boris Johnson's membership of elite University societies such as [Oxford's] Bullingdon Club seem like a girl guides' picnic :eek:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-20407147

Tom Wolfe is nominated again for the bad sex award:D

The reviews of his new book sound good, tho the theme is familiar.
  • Options
    Terrence ChantTerrence Chant Posts: 1,334,542
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Two Brothers - Ben Elton
  • Options
    BrumBallBrumBall Posts: 2,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Me 'fourth' :)

Five! Brilliant book.
  • Options
    HeartacheHeartache Posts: 4,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just finished 13 by Kelley Armstrong and about to start The heresy of Dr Dee by Phil Rickman.
    I am also half way through Labrynth by Kate Mosse, but it is so good l'm reading other books, so that it will last longer.:)
  • Options
    fredsterfredster Posts: 31,802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've got a couple downloaded on my kindle but have been reluctant to start them as a lot of people have said she's like Jodi picoult, and I'm not keen on her writing so they've been gathering virtual dust.

Yes they are, but I enjoy JP's books as well.
  • Options
    Sue_CSue_C Posts: 1,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Heartache wrote: »
    Just finished 13 by Kelley Armstrong and about to start The heresy of Dr Dee by Phil Rickman.
    I am also half way through Labrynth by Kate Mosse, but it is so good l'm reading other books, so that it will last longer.:)

I read the first Dr Dee book recently, The Bones of Avalon. I thought at the time that Dr Dee was being set up for a series! The Bones of Avalon took a bit of getting in to for me but was worth it in the end.
  • Options
    Simone17Simone17 Posts: 944
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I read Charlotte Simmons last year and loved it.

I'm reading A Man in Full at the moment and am enjoying it very much too.
  • Options
    d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have suffered from reader's block for the last few weeks due to a few things going on in my personal life, but I'm back in the swing of reading again!
    I have just finished Broken Harbour by Tana French, and just started The Hundred Year Old Man who climbed out of the window and disappeared by Jonas Jonasson.
  • Options
    GrecomaniaGrecomania Posts: 19,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just finished Mira Grant's Newsflesh trilogy. Well I say finish, but I haven't read the first, as I started on the second. Not a good idea, start from Feed if you want to read them.

Very interesting. A mixture of Zombies, politics and science, with some good humour and emotional jolts. Kind of vaguely similar ending to a much bigger trilogy too, with the two main characters anyway.

Wonder whether the'd consider making it into a film or Tv series, with the success of the Walking Dead and World War Z coming out sooner or later.

Going to read Nation next by Pratchett.
  • Options
    SilvioDanteSilvioDante Posts: 2,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Devil's Star by Jo Nesbo.
  • Options
    sherisgirlsherisgirl Posts: 2,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nameless Jessie Keene
  • Options
    trinity2002trinity2002 Posts: 16,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Heartache wrote: »

What did you think to 13?

Personally I was so disappointed that I doubt I'll ever read re-read her Otherworld books. I was disappointed with Spellbound too, but I thought that was because it was going to be a prequel to a brilliant finale so I sort of let it go.
  • Options
    HeartacheHeartache Posts: 4,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What did you think to 13?

Personally I was so disappointed that I doubt I'll ever read re-read her Otherworld books. I was disappointed with Spellbound too, but I thought that was because it was going to be a prequel to a brilliant finale so I sort of let it go.

I enjoyed it, l got it from my library, if l had to pay for it l may have felt differently. I wish there had been more from Eve in it, and after all the action in the beginning the ending was a bit dragged out.
  • Options
    Cellar_DoorCellar_Door Posts: 2,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After procrastinating for the best part of the year I've finally started Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace (again). It's taking a bit of time to get into but I've heard really good things about this book and I'm determined to finish it this time around
  • Options
    Beautiful_HarvBeautiful_Harv Posts: 9,144
    Forum Member
    Maureen Carter - Working Girls
  • Options
    clm2071clm2071 Posts: 6,644
    Forum Member
    Crescent Dawn - Clive Cussler. Bit of a guilty pleasure of mine.
  • Options
    ReddybookReddybook Posts: 281
    Forum Member
    Twelve Days of Christmas - Trisha Ashley..Story about a widow, who is asked to look after a remote house on the Lancashire moors, determined not to celebrate the time of year. I'm halfway thru' it and I'm loving it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^That one sounds interesting. :)

I'm about a third of the way through 'The Sad Tale of the Brothers Grossbart' by Jesse Bullington. I'm loving everything about this book - it's set during the middle ages and is very grisly and full of suspense, but with a comical streak, in parts. It reminds me a bit of a more chilling version of 'The Book of Lost Things'.
  • Options
    MissMusiqueMissMusique Posts: 2,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm reading the Allison Brennan books at the moment - there's Lucy Kincaid series which I'm just starting and I also read the See/Fear/Speak no Evil series. I like them because there's suspense and also a bit of romance. Not the best things ever written but enjoyable.
  • Options
    harry*half*pintharry*half*pint Posts: 11,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can't Live Without - Joanne Phillips

Another book I've found through Twitter and another good read :)