F1 Coverage - The Verdict: 2013 Season

Comments

• cocarrollcocarroll Posts: 973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What was on Letterman's top 10 list? It made the commentators start laughing when we stopped being onboard...

No clue ...
  • LudwigVonDrakeLudwigVonDrake Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cocarroll wrote: »
    Indycar: When they go on-board, the commentary is completely inaudible :mad:

It ain't just the on boards now. NBC making a right dogs dinner of it yet again.

Still, looks great in HD.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It ain't just the on boards now. NBC making a right dogs dinner of it yet again.

Still, looks great in HD.

My guess is that there is a Stereo downmix from a 5.1 track and they are not compensating for the lack of separation - Not sure who is doing the downmix NBC or ESPN - then again its obvious there is no one listening since it is so bad!!
  • TrinitronHDTrinitronHD Posts: 581
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What was on Letterman's top 10 list? It made the commentators start laughing when we stopped being onboard...
    No clue ...
    Thanks, that's really helpful. :cool:

Meanwhile, over at http://www.cbs.com/shows/late_show/top_ten/

Top Ten Things You Don't Want To Hear Over Your Team Radio During A Race presented by Graham Rahal
    Thursday, March 21, 2013

10. "Are you in the red car or the green car?"

9. "I love you"

8. "Do you have your glasses?"

7. "Why aren't you answering my texts?"

6. "You're listening to 90.3 FM, Rio's number one for samba"

5. "How long was I asleep?"

4. "We just got a new sponsor -- Carnival Cruises!"

3. "What do you want?"

2. "Who's a good race car driver? You are -- yes, you are!"

1. "Dude, you're going the wrong way"
  • ariusukariusuk Posts: 13,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My guess is that there is a Stereo downmix from a 5.1 track and they are not compensating for the lack of separation - Not sure who is doing the downmix NBC or ESPN - then again its obvious there is no one listening since it is so bad!!

My guess is that the world feed has a stereo mix on tracks 1&2, and stereo IS on 3&4, and that ESPN are broadcasting both
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ariusuk wrote: »
    My guess is that the world feed has a stereo mix on tracks 1&2, and stereo IS on 3&4, and that ESPN are broadcasting both

I'll take your guess over mine any day!!
  • BrooklynBoyBrooklynBoy Posts: 10,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Indycar generally lags far behind Formula One in a lot of ways. They're apples and oranges.
  • hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,564
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    3 weeks time will be the first BBC live race of the season. :)
  • AnneUKAnneUK Posts: 890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And they're showing all practice sessions live on BBC2, according to Suzi at the sign-off.
  • Chris_WilliamsChris_Williams Posts: 152
    Forum Member
    I've seen Jen from The IT Crowd on the Malteasers advert more times than I've seen Will Power leading today's Indycar race!!
  • LOSGLOSG Posts: 2,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Coulthard was a but rough with Perry at the end of the BBC show I thought. (When talking about Red Bull.)
  • Jules 1Jules 1 Posts: 2,543
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks, that's really helpful. :cool:

Meanwhile, over at http://www.cbs.com/shows/late_show/top_ten/

Top Ten Things You Don't Want To Hear Over Your Team Radio During A Race presented by Graham Rahal
    Thursday, March 21, 2013

10. "Are you in the red car or the green car?"

9. "I love you"

8. "Do you have your glasses?"

7. "Why aren't you answering my texts?"

6. "You're listening to 90.3 FM, Rio's number one for samba"

5. "How long was I asleep?"

4. "We just got a new sponsor -- Carnival Cruises!"

3. "What do you want?"

2. "Who's a good race car driver? You are -- yes, you are!"

1. "Dude, you're going the wrong way"

You Forgot, Alonso is faster than you. :D
    LOSG wrote: »
    Coulthard was a but rough with Perry at the end of the BBC show I thought. (When talking about Red Bull.)

A very tricky situation, Suzi was right to press about the Vettel Webber situation, and with Coulthard closeness to Red Bull this made for an interesting dynamic, I can only imagine what Eddie would have said.
  • F1KenF1Ken Posts: 4,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LOSG wrote: »

Suzi did well though. I cant imagine Jake would have pressed him hard like that and it always used to frustrate me.

DC expresses alot more opinion than he used to and has come on a lot but he's still jittery when it comes to red bull. I used to think he was red bull bias I think he is now just slightly protective of them.

I still think they are working well together though it's just DC now has a presenter who knows a lot about the sport and can really ask deeper questions. Will be good to have Eddie back and I can see them all working well together.

The dynamic between Coulthard and Suzi is what it was like at the start of 2009 but then you had Eddie to soften things. Eddie is still important to them. And when he eventually does step down they need an outspoken pundit to take his place.

I think if it wasn't for going to half races live Eddie would have left by now. Because I remember him say how tiring it was at the end of the season. he's getting on now so I don't blame him for just doing half.

Dare I say this but I miss Eddie more than I missed brundle last year. I suppose it's because when Eddie is not there they have no one to fill that role.

Ken
  • coventrywooocoventrywooo Posts: 3,473
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Indycar generally lags far behind Formula One in a lot of ways. They're apples and oranges.

i dont normally watch indycar, but i flicked over today..
    they dont have pits like f1 does...
    Forum Member
    I've been awake since Formula One Saturday morning practice and, despite nodding off a few times during the Indycar race, I'm now wide awake - it's turning into an unpredictable crashfest after countless laps of follow Will Power procession.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Agree about Suzi, I only watched the post race on BBC, but she did well there with Coulthard
    She seems to have settled in nicely now.I loved her 'awkward' comment.

Just hate that silver-grey team graphic that BBC are throwing up with a noisy tune, during their team news sum up.
  • F1KenF1Ken Posts: 4,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lettice wrote: »
    Agree about Suzi, I only watched the post race on BBC, but she did well there with Coulthard
    She seems to have settled in nicely now.I loved her 'awkward' comment.

Just hate that silver-grey team graphic that BBC are throwing up with a noisy tune, during their team news sum up.

I suppose it's a way of fitting the program together. They did similar things last year. I agree though. Id rather they didn't.

May I say that I really like the BBC grid graphics this year. Best since 2010.

Ken
  • AbMan51AbMan51 Posts: 367
    Forum Member
    Good on Perry for trying to get something out of DC with regards to Red Bull, whom he always seems to be extremely diplomatic about because of his conflict of interest.
    stevvy1986 wrote: »
    If you mean Vettel saying he was scared etc, those weren't broadcast on Sky either. Presumably they have someone listening to the various team radio who can give them that sort of info (eg we see Ted in the pits for Sky mentioning other things that are said on the radio but don't get broadcast by the world feed).

I know realise when watching on Sky it was Ted providing all the information about Red Bull's team orders and Vettel breaking them and not the relayed team radio messages which I why I erroneously thought the BBC had omitted Red Bull's team radio from their highlights. :o

As usual Ted is still the star performer of the weekend and his reporting skills meant viewers on Sky knew about the Red Bull story well before those on the Beeb, who would have found out due the behaviour of the Red Bull team in the pre podium room.
  • BenFranklinBenFranklin Posts: 5,814
    Forum Member
    Maybe it was the early start and I've forgotten, but I don't remember Ted supplying any exclusive information about the Red Bulls.
  • stefmeisterstefmeister Posts: 8,390
    Forum Member
    Regarding Indycar, I watched the NBC coverage via a web-stream & there was no problems with the audio levels so it seems that may have been an issue with the International feed.

Also is the international feed still using the old ESPN graphics or have they switched to the NBC graphics (Which are way better)?
    JackFoley wrote: »
    Just wondering since I don't have Sky UK anymore: Did Sky UK show the press conference after the race?
    Sky showed a brief clip of Vettel apologizing but that was it.

It was on the pits channel for 17 seconds until sky cut it off.
    http://img826.imageshack.us/img826/9480/2013sepangpitlanemp4sna.jpg

I really wish Sky would start the pits channel as soon as FOM do (Just before pit lane opens) & then stick with it until FOM end the broadcast (After there highlights reel).

During FP1/2 they have recently let it run through to the end of the FOM highlights (Which are great to watch, Just a pitty there in the small PIP window) when FOM end the feed broadcast, For FP3/Quali/Race they tend to end it unnecessarily early.
    Forum Member
    Regarding Indycar, I watched the NBC coverage via a web-stream & there was no problems with the audio levels so it seems that may have been an issue with the International feed.

Also is the international feed still using the old ESPN graphicsor have they switched to the NBC graphics (Which are way better)?

Still using the ESPN graphics (indeed at the end it said (c) ESPN International 2013 even though the commentary was NBC Sports).
  • Kolin KlingonKolin Klingon Posts: 4,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AnneUK wrote: »
    And they're showing all practice sessions live on BBC2, according to Suzi at the sign-off.

...and as it will be from 6:00am next Tuesday...

BBC2HD!

Still 5 weeks until they join the party is pushing it a bit.
  • davedpgdavedpg Posts: 960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AbMan51 wrote: »
    Good on Perry for trying to get something out of DC with regards to Red Bull, whom he always seems to be extremely diplomatic about because of his conflict of interest.

I know realise when watching on Sky it was Ted providing all the information about Red Bull's team orders and Vettel breaking them and not the relayed team radio messages which I why I erroneously thought the BBC had omitted Red Bull's team radio from their highlights. :o

As usual Ted is still the star performer of the weekend and his reporting skills meant viewers on Sky knew about the Red Bull story well before those on the Beeb, who would have found out due the behaviour of the Red Bull team in the pre podium room.

Now I listened on 5 Live with RTL and straight away, James and Gary conveyed what was going on with Red Bull and the consequence of that move.
  • Richo2006Richo2006 Posts: 901
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone surprised that Ted went so far to say he thought a little less of Vettel after today? Is the addendum to the notebook an attempt to "row back" somewhat from those comments, so as not to adversely affect his relationship/access to Vettel in the paddock at future races?

EDIT. Perhaps not! :D
  • Richo2006Richo2006 Posts: 901
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ben spotted on Notebook extra!

That *was* Ben, right? Or was it? Or should I go to bed (tired)?
This discussion has been closed.