Was Charles Ingram a cheater?

124»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,363
    Forum Member
    The three of them cheated. But Ingram's wife was cringing in her seat when Ingram got greedy and made the cheating obvious by giving his final answers too quickly and going for a larger sum of money than they had previously agreed to.
  • sarahj1986sarahj1986 Posts: 11,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LIZALYNN wrote: »
    The three of them cheated. But Ingram's wife was cringing in her seat when Ingram got greedy and made the cheating obvious by giving his final answers too quickly and going for a larger sum of money than they had previously agreed to.

yeah I saw a tv show about it afterwards about how it happened and they say that if he had stopped at £125k he probably would have got away with it but because he got greedy they go suspisious
  • oulandyoulandy Posts: 18,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No. He was a cheat, though.

Oh, I've just noticed this is an old thread resurrected. Not sure why.
  • Soap-FanSoap-Fan Posts: 230
    Forum Member
    Sorry to bring up an old thread but has anyone read James Plaskett's Essay?
  • jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Soap-Fan wrote: »
    Sorry to bring up an old thread but has anyone read James Plaskett's Essay?

What's a james plaskett, and where's his essay? Has he been late handing it in,the naughty boy?
    Forum Member
    jsmith99 wrote: »
    What's a james plaskett, and where's his essay? Has he been late handing it in,the naughty boy?
    He wrote a long essay claiming the Ingrams and Whittock are innocent, it's online.
  • candyfloss2000candyfloss2000 Posts: 1,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    haha i loved this story. And yes, it's clear they cheated. The couple were arguing backstage after their win. It's not a normal reaction having just won all that money unless there was something dodgy going on.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was just one of those funny things which has gone down in history. Of COURSE he was a coughing cheater.
  • jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Soap-Fan wrote: »
    He wrote a long essay claiming the Ingrams and Whittock are innocent, it's online.

I see ... in which case a link would have helped. And still would, actually. Unless you feel the 9,936 people who've read this thread should all do their own google searches. :)
  • Steve9214Steve9214 Posts: 8,404
    Forum Member
    It was just one of those funny things which has gone down in history. Of COURSE he was a coughing cheater.

There was a pop music question, and his wife is on camera clearly coughing as he says the right answer out loud
  • candyfloss2000candyfloss2000 Posts: 1,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Steve9214 wrote: »
    There was a pop music question, and his wife is on camera clearly coughing as he says the right answer out loud

The biggest most conclusive tell tale sign was when the dude helping him actually coughed and followed it with a 'no!'

haha, you couldn't make it up. Too amusing.
    Forum Member
    jsmith99 wrote: »
    I see ... in which case a link would have helped. And still would, actually. Unless you feel the 9,936 people who've read this thread should all do their own google searches. :)
    Here's a link.

http://james-plasketts-coincidence-diary.blogspot.co.uk/2006/03/more-explanation.html
  • marieofromaniamarieofromania Posts: 651
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    misha06 wrote: »
    It was cheating.

But the whole thing was so very amateurish and adding that he didn't have the good sense to stop at say 125 grand, the plot was destined to fail.

Even so I can't find reason to bear him any ill will, he comes across a bit of a buffoon, married to a quite ghastly woman

He was in a pickle, financially and tried to pull a fast one.

No one was hurt, Endemol certainly milked it for all the publicity they could, and the only long to term damage was to the reputation of a slightly dim army Major.

Compared to the scams and dishonesty TV programs and production companies pull, I can't help having a little smile at the nerve of the Ingrams.

It was Celador, not Endemol.
  • Leicester_HunkLeicester_Hunk Posts: 18,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't remember what the coughing was to signify, was it that Charlie boy had a question wrong or right??

I wonder if the producers were also in on it. They had to be :D:D
  • Ex PatEx Pat Posts: 7,514
    Forum Member
    I don't remember what the coughing was to signify, was it that Charlie boy had a question wrong or right??

It was signify when he repeated the correct answer.

There was a funny part when Ingram went through all 4 options waiting for "the cough". First he was sure it was "A". No cough. Then he changed his mind to "B". Still no cough......then C & D .etc.
  • BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,542
    Forum Member
    Steve9214 wrote: »

A bit like this :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

http://youtu.be/HEjdJszBbY8?t=2m43s

:mad:Trying to get it to start from a certain point :mad:

Go to 2mins 30 secs
  • richhoopsrichhoops Posts: 123
    Forum Member
    The Ingrams were short of cash and Charlie had spent quite a lot getting into the last ten. He got into the chair, but was pretty well done at about 8K, when the recording stopped..

Just stumbled on this thread when it got bumped, funny because I was at the recording of that first show and this brought back memories.

My friends and I were laughing on the way home about how bad that 'last guy' had been and how he wouldn't get much further at all. Next day he came back and won.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 246
    Forum Member
    misha06 wrote: »
    It was cheating.

But the whole thing was so very amateurish and adding that he didn't have the good sense to stop at say 125 grand, the plot was destined to fail.

Even so I can't find reason to bear him any ill will, he comes across a bit of a buffoon, married to a quite ghastly woman

He was in a pickle, financially and tried to pull a fast one.

No one was hurt, Endemol certainly milked it for all the publicity they could, and the only long to term damage was to the reputation of a slightly dim army Major.

Compared to the scams and dishonesty TV programs and production companies pull, I can't help having a little smile at the nerve of the Ingrams.

Since when has Endemol made WWTBAM? It's a Celador/CPL Productions show isn't it?
  • ApplebeeApplebee Posts: 677
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Misread thread title....thought this was about Little House on the Prairie...:o:D
  • eugenespeedeugenespeed Posts: 66,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Applebee wrote: »
    Misread thread title....thought this was about Little House on the Prairie...:o:D

Charles Ingalls, cheating git :)

Laura wasn't much better like. :D
  • GloriaSnockersGloriaSnockers Posts: 2,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Applebee wrote: »

I did exactly the same thing when I first noticed the thread yesterday :)
  • BillyCasperBillyCasper Posts: 1,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *cough*
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    Sorry to bump an old thread. I was just reading up on this guy and I have to say, he's had such a run of misfortune. Here's some of the things:

• Convicted of deception for cheating on WWTBAM.
    • Total legal bill for that was £400K
    • Lost his job as an army majoy.
    • Been unemployed since.
    • Got burgled and lost £30K of stuff.
    • A subsequent insurance claim resulted in a conviction for fraud due to not declaring previous insurance claims
    • Had the word "cheater" scratched onto his car
    • His cat has been shot.
    • His dog was kicked to death.
    • Coughed at everywhere he goes.
    • Once was over the tannoy on an EasyJet flight by cabin crew
    • Once he grapped the collar of a kid who did it right in his face - for this he got arrested and convicated of assault.
    • Got his wheelie bin emptied onto his garden.
    • Got his toes chopped off by his own lawnmower.

Whether this guy did or didn't do any of the three things he was convicted for I can't help but feel a bit sorry for this man that's has surely had more than his share of misfortune.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just watching this
    Having not seen it previously as I was young I can't believe it happened :eek:

No. I dont have a problem with what he did considering many of the game shows are fixed.