Emmerdale: Val Pollard

riverside 57riverside 57 Posts: 14,380
Forum Member
✭✭
Is she the most annoying character ever in this programme? I thinks so! Right from the very start when she arrived apparently on the run from whoever she owed money to for her nose job (which I have always said deserves a full refund) I have never liked her! She is selfish, uncaring and extremely bossy and manipulative, she turns every situation around to being all about her, and she is never wrong!

Her woe is me face just makes me sick, and how she conveniently forgets that it was all her selfish, self serving actions in running off to Portugal and having a fling to feed her ever inflating ego that is the whole sole cause of the present mess she finds herself in! She is some tulip to make me actually feel sorry for Eric Pollard! Even her being taken down a peg or two by finding out she is HIV positive had to be overshadowed by her finding out about Eric's fling with Diane, giving her more fuel for the play the victim furnace she has burning inside her.

Needless to say, I am quite sick of her! Closely followed by Brenda's mournful mush! Get rid of them!

Comments

• Bonny1Bonny1 Posts: 8,502
    Forum Member
    Is she the most annoying character ever in this programme? I thinks so! Right from the very start when she arrived apparently on the run from whoever she owed money to for her nose job (which I have always said deserves a full refund) I have never liked her! She is selfish, uncaring and extremely bossy and manipulative, she turns every situation around to being all about her, and she is never wrong!

Her woe is me face just makes me sick, and how she conveniently forgets that it was all her selfish, self serving actions in running off to Portugal and having a fling to feed her ever inflating ego that is the whole sole cause of the present mess she finds herself in! She is some tulip to make me actually feel sorry for Eric Pollard! Even her being taken down a peg or two by finding out she is HIV positive had to be overshadowed by her finding out about Eric's fling with Diane, giving her more fuel for the play the victim furnace she has burning inside her.

Needless to say, I am quite sick of her! Closely followed by Brenda's mournful mush! Get rid of them!

I concur 100%... very unlikable ....
  • marlingmarling Posts: 3,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In total agreement too. It's a shame because you'd have sympathy for most other characters going through what they are but (in the case of Brenda) has made her even more unlikeable. As for Val, well she was awful to start with. What more has to happen to her to make her 'wake up'?
  • sorrentosorrento Posts: 1,857
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

My thoughts exactly...
  • valtimmyvaltimmy Posts: 7,158
    Forum Member

I agree with you. It was ok for her to have a fling while in Portugal but not Eric!
    I cannot stand Brenda either. I think Bob should break up with her to serve her right. Having lost Gennie and having cancer is no excuse to steal.
  • Sal*UKSal*UK Posts: 335
    Forum Member
    We have been sat here saying exactly the same. Whilst the actress's are great, the plot and writing is horrid and they are both vile characters.
  • riverside 57riverside 57 Posts: 14,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm actually not feeling too bad now that I know I'm not alone in my feelings about her :D
  • danyelldanyell Posts: 10,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Val is unlikeable but at least she can be funny at times. I think Brenda's quite sweet though. Despite her shoplifting and blaming Kerry for it! Well who could blame her? :D
  • spungerspunger Posts: 2,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another multiple killer is needed. This time one with a thrist for doing away with horrid old hags.
  • LYNN(E)LYNN(E) Posts: 1,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    spunger wrote: »
    Another multiple killer is needed. This time one with a thrist for doing away with horrid old hags.

Good idea !!:D Val is unbearable that voice makes my ears bleed & with that severe bob haircut she looks so aggressive ! she's got no redeeming features either in looks or personality >:(
    I'd spare Edna though Tootsie needs her :)
  • silentNatesilentNate Posts: 84,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love Val... great character, well written and excellently acted :):p
  • trevor tigertrevor tiger Posts: 37,996
    Forum Member
    Val is undoubtedly an awful person. She is vain, selfish, childish and an egomaniac and I have never understood what Eric sees in her. I hated how she was with Amy and Kyle and wondered even more why Eric stays with her as she treated him like shit. When she came back from Portugal it was almost unbelievable that Eric got back with her but, having said all and that and indeed because of all that I like that she is the one with the HIV story line. It shows it can happen to anyone and we don't have to sympathise with the character to get the message.

Brenda on the other hand doesn't even have Val's moments of humour going for her and is so much more unlikeable as she sees herself as such a 'good' and 'nice' person and yet is horrible and a thief.
  • dd68dd68 Posts: 17,837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like her, she is desperate and fun to watch
  • riverside 57riverside 57 Posts: 14,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Val is undoubtedly an awful person. She is vain, selfish, childish and an egomaniac and I have never understood what Eric sees in her. I hated how she was with Amy and Kyle and wondered even more why Eric stays with her as she treated him like shit. When she came back from Portugal it was almost unbelievable that Eric got back with her but, having said all and that and indeed because of all that I like that she is the one with the HIV story line. It shows it can happen to anyone and we don't have to sympathise with the character to get the message.

Brenda on the other hand doesn't even have Val's moments of humour going for her and is so much more unlikeable as she sees herself as such a 'good' and 'nice' person and yet is horrible and a thief.

Good post, I agree with all you've said. I didn't want to sound horrible before, but I was actually delighted when the result came back positive for her, I couldn't help thinking "serves you right you selfish bitch!" But of course it's everyone's fault bar hers now, and she has loads of ammunition to fire at Eric and Diane as well! Grr, she annoys me so much but at least as you said she does sometimes come across as amusing with her thoughtless, selfish traits.

Brenda of course is just a miserable cow on a permanent basis. And that whispery, self pitying voice does my head in! After Viv, just what the hell does Bob see in her? All she is short of doing is hand wringing and chanting "poor me" most of the time. And letting Kerry take the rap for the shoplifting was the last straw for me. She's insufferable!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cant really add anything to the OP, loathed the character from the start.
  • HoffmisterHoffmister Posts: 12,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Val had Rodders while he was still with Diane
  • Bobby_MarzBobby_Marz Posts: 2,576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    loving the story and the acting
  • Lucy LouLucy Lou Posts: 8,574
    Forum Member

I used to quite like Val but I think I started to dislike her with all the Amy/Kyle business she behaved unbelievably selfish and was so horrid to Eric.

Can anyone remember if the time she went to Portugal was the same time she hid Eric's passport so he couldn't go with her?
  • TogglerToggler Posts: 4,592
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank goodness I am not alone. I have never been able to stand the character of Val, the storylines involving her are always pretty rubbish and this latest wheeze of a 'plot' is simply foul. I have zero sympathy for Val's character and just wish she would leave and quick.

Ditto Brenda, what's all that about, and don't even start me on Priya... another plane/train crash please or murderer.
  • mo mousemo mouse Posts: 38,764
    Forum Member
    I like Val. Besides, how can she be the most annoying character when Brenda, Marlon and Paddy are all still breathing.
  • Moll FlandersMoll Flanders Posts: 1,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Toggler wrote: »
    Thank goodness I am not alone. I have never been able to stand the character of Val, the storylines involving her are always pretty rubbish and this latest wheeze of a 'plot' is simply foul. I have zero sympathy for Val's character and just wish she would leave and quick.

Ditto Brenda, what's all that about, and don't even start me on Priya... another plane/train crash please or murderer.

I actually like Val (in a enjoy to dislike sort of way) and do find her v entertaining - sorry!

However I totally agree about boring miseriguts no 1 Brenda, and boring miseriguts no 2 Priya. Am tempted to also add Rhona to the list; she's such a boring, miserable, bitchy cow to pretty much everyone.

But I do like the new vicar, I think she's great fun!
  • Moll FlandersMoll Flanders Posts: 1,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I've never heard that phrase before! Is it a regional thing? Thanks so much for posting it! I can't wait to start to drop it into my conversations! :)
  • Ermintrude1Ermintrude1 Posts: 342
    Forum Member
    Toggler wrote: »

I used to quite like Brenda and felt sorry for her with the tumour storyline. However, my opinion of her plummeted yesterday when she stuck the blame for the shoplifting on Kerry. It really was a low thing to do.

As for Priya - It's a very good character study of someone with an eating disorder.
  • sconescone Posts: 14,850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't like Brenda, never have. I'm amazed how many people actually don't like her now as opposed to a year or so ago.

I find the voice annoying, she almost whispers every line and her facial expressions are equally as annoying.

I know she's Pollard's bird, but please someone get rid of her, let's face it, if Bob ditches her she has no reason to hang around, or does she have stakes in that coffee shop? Damn it! :D
  • Ermintrude1Ermintrude1 Posts: 342
    Forum Member
    scone wrote: »
    I don't like Brenda, never have. I'm amazed how many people actually don't like her now as opposed to a year or so ago.

I find the voice annoying, she almost whispers every line and her facial expressions are equally as annoying.

I know she's Pollard's bird, but please someone get rid of her, let's face it, if Bob ditches her she has no reason to hang around, or does she have stakes in that coffee shop? Damn it! :D[/QUOTE

I must say that I wish we had a coffee shop like that near me - There are never any queues!! :p
  • mo mousemo mouse Posts: 38,764
    Forum Member
    Brenda needs a proper stomping from someone who really knows how to do it. Someone with no compassion, no qualms, no mercy and no sympathy. Just a cold hearted, efficient, no nonsense perpetrator who can deliver what we all want.