Options

Treasure Hunt - 1st episode repeat

Comments

• Options
    Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flukie wrote: »
    Interesting Kenneth said welcome to a new series, at the start of the episode, even though this one is down as the 2nd episode on the episode guide - and of course it;s the second episode of the second series they've shown.

For some reason I remember seeing this episode somewhere. I remember the couple - for some reason!
    Thursday 12th January 1984 it was shown. Quite shocking how the time has flown. It still feels so recent. I blinked and 30 years just flew past. Better not blink again. No doubt it was actually done on a lovely summers day in July or August 1983.

Nobody ever seemed to tell Anneka, "Will you clear off you're trespassing" did they! Serious errors seemed few and far between.

What a smacker the lady contestant planted on Kenneth as the credits began to roll. Most improper! :p
  • Options
    steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Challenge have no plans to buy further series at the moment.
  • Options
    PaacePaace Posts: 14,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    steveh31 wrote: »
    Challenge have no plans to buy further series at the moment.

That is a great shame . The only programme I'm recording at the moment . We should all spend a couple of mins to send them an email saying how much we're enjoying seeing Anneka, Kenneth and all involved in the show again .

I can't believe Challenge keep showing so many episodes of that Takeshi castle, a programme about Japanese doing daft things and made for the unfathomable Japanese market . I tried to watch it but its just too completely off the wall bonkers for my taste.
  • Options
    FlukieFlukie Posts: 40,578
    Forum Member
    I just noticed that some lovely person on You Tube has put up every episode of Treasure Hunt! I don't know if Series 7 is up, cos I wouldn't watch it without Annie, but all Annie's episodes are up, which is a brilliant thing if Challenge is only showing the first 2 series.

Each episode is in 5 parts, but they're there, that's the main thing!
    And until Challenge DO (I hope) show more than 2 series, thank heavens I won't suddenly have to stop watching TH after Series 2!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just looked at the locations for all series...North Yorkshire three times, South Yorkshire never >:(
  • Options
    kezokezo Posts: 11,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The other way as well to look at this and hopefully Challenge feels more encouraged that there is people out there who are happy to watch classic shows compared to what is produced on tv now (including quiz shows and there is not that many "great" ones today sadly)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was thinking if it ever had a remake how about Stephen Fry and Jessica Ennis-Hill?
  • Options
    Central cakeCentral cake Posts: 5,625
    Forum Member
    Used to watch this as a kid. I loved it. Now I have grown up (A bit) god Anneka was hot :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    steveh31 wrote: »
    I was thinking if it ever had a remake how about Stephen Fry and Jessica Ennis-Hill?

Personally, I never watch remakes of anything, because generally re-makes are made of 'classic' programmes (to whatever degree) rather than obscure programmes no one remembers, and you really can't beat perfection (as they say).

Just (off the top of me head) things like Minder, and Upstairs Downstairs, The Sweeney, The Professionals - even way back and The Forysythe Saga .... No, No, No.
    Never tamper with a classic. It's sacrilige!

Treasure Hunt is not like the above, the same programmes with different actors, this is a 'game show' so it could never be remade cos it would literally be a completely different programme. It would be very hi-tec, for one thing, so it wouldn't be the programme it was.
    I said this when I first posted on here. There'd be no looking at books to look things up, it would be computers, tablets, whatever. It would just lose it's charm.
    Personally, I never thought it worked without Annie anyway. Nothing against Annabel Giles, but it just wasn't the same without Annie.
    The original will always be the best. ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd also like to follow up another aspect of what you wrote above Flukie, and that is the inferior "spin off" show to try and cash in on the success of what went before. I'd cite Challenge Anneka as a dreadful follow up series on BBC that she did. It was so contrived and almost a cringe at times. I loved Treasure Hunt & really liked Anneka but my affectons never translated over to that later show she did.
  • Options
    FluxCapacitorFluxCapacitor Posts: 1,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personally, I never watch remakes of anything, because generally re-makes are made of 'classic' programmes (to whatever degree) rather than obscure programmes no one remembers, and you really can't beat perfection (as they say).

Just (off the top of me head) things like Minder, and Upstairs Downstairs, The Sweeney, The Professionals - even way back and The Forysythe Saga .... No, No, No.
    Never tamper with a classic. It's sacrilige!

Treasure Hunt is not like the above, the same programmes with different actors, this is a 'game show' so it could never be remade cos it would literally be a completely different programme. It would be very hi-tec, for one thing, so it wouldn't be the programme it was.
    I said this when I first posted on here. There'd be no looking at books to look things up, it would be computers, tablets, whatever. It would just lose it's charm.
    Personally, I never thought it worked without Annie anyway. Nothing against Annabel Giles, but it just wasn't the same without Annie.

You forget that it WAS re-made, and it was actually very good. The only big differences were that Wincey Willis was now a GPS tracker and they had Encarta on a PC to add to their research.

Suzi Perry actually made a great Skyrunner too. Pity the BBC f*cked up the marketing!
  • Options
    Brian ReynoldsBrian Reynolds Posts: 1,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It wasn't Annabel Giles, it was Annabel Croft, who was actually very good.
  • Options
    James2001James2001 Posts: 73,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You forget that it WAS re-made, and it was actually very good. The only big differences were that Wincey Willis was now a GPS tracker and they had Encarta on a PC to add to their research.

Suzi Perry actually made a great Skyrunner too. Pity the BBC f*cked up the marketing!

Yes, the reason the 2002/2003 series flopped was nothing to do with the show itself, and everything to do with how the BBC treated it. No promotion, and the second series was basically thrown around the schedule to the point where even those of us who knew about it found it next to impossible to find.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It wasn't Annabel Giles, it was Annabel Croft, who was actually very good.

Sorry, wrong Annabel!
    Point for ME is just I prefer the originals with the original people. I didn't like the Suzy Perry one cos to me it was a completely different programme.
    That's just me. Original is best with old programmes!
  • Options
    FluxCapacitorFluxCapacitor Posts: 1,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't like the Suzy Perry one cos to me it was a completely different programme.

But it was exactly the same programme. No rule changes, not much updating, nothing. As updates go, it was very faithful to the original.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    But it was exactly the same programme. No rule changes, not much updating, nothing. As updates go, it was very faithful to the original.

I keep saying ... I just don't like remakes.
    And any TH without Annie, Kenneth and Wincey (it's like she was always there!) is a remake.
    It's just me.
  • Options
    tgabbertgabber Posts: 2,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of the great things about the show was simply seeing so many beautiful places from the air and then landing and seeing them close up. There's a sense of perceived freedom about helicopter flight (yes I know in reality the routes and landing areas were all carefully planned!).

When you look at some of the abortions that pass for quiz shows these days, Treasure Hunt could definitely draw an audience if they made a new series, but getting the right people would be crucial. The clue-solving would use modern technology, but the clues were always secondary to the experience of seeing Anneka just running around. I have to disagree with some of the posters above about Annabel Croft, I thought she was an awful replacement skyrunner and probably sealed the fate of the original series.

I only caught a couple of episodes of the BBC remake with Suzy Perry but it seemed to work well enough. Shame about the BBC kicking it around the schedule so you never knew when it would be on.

However I don't think a new series will get made now because for modern TV it would be just too expensive using helicopters. The point about studio-based game shows and why there are so many of them, is that they are dirt cheap to make compared to other forms of TV.
  • Options
    PaacePaace Posts: 14,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tgabber wrote: »
    One of the great things about the show was simply seeing so many beautiful places from the air and then landing and seeing them close up. There's a sense of perceived freedom about helicopter flight (yes I know in reality the routes and landing areas were all carefully planned!).

When you look at some of the abortions that pass for quiz shows these days, Treasure Hunt could definitely draw an audience if they made a new series, but getting the right people would be crucial. The clue-solving would use modern technology, but the clues were always secondary to the experience of seeing Anneka just running around. I have to disagree with some of the posters above about Annabel Croft, I thought she was an awful replacement skyrunner and probably sealed the fate of the original series.

I only caught a couple of episodes of the BBC remake with Suzy Perry but it seemed to work well enough. Shame about the BBC kicking it around the schedule so you never knew when it would be on.

However I don't think a new series will get made now because for modern TV it would be just too expensive using helicopters. The point about studio-based game shows and why there are so many of them, is that they are dirt cheap to make compared to other forms of TV.[/
    QUOTE]

I enjoyed Suzy Perry also but not as much as Anneka and Kenneth .

A modern Treasure Hunt does not necessarily have to use modern technology, look at the Apprentice where they're not allowed to use computers but have to rely on Yellow Pages etc.

I'm not sure if a modern Treasure Hunt would work and be a hit .
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Just thought .. I wonder if the modern day obsessions with Elf and Safety would even allow a young woman to sit in an open helicopter and jump in and out of one! lol
  • Options
    000Mark000000Mark000 Posts: 422
    Forum Member
    Just thought .. I wonder if the modern day obsessions with Elf and Safety would even allow a young woman to sit in an open helicopter and jump in and out of one! lol

I'm afraid that before we even discuss 'E'lf and Saftey, I must issue your first written warning for being blatantly sexiest and ageist.

People, regardless of age or sex are equally entitled to sit in, get in and out of, or even fall out of open helicopters in this day and age.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nice to hear Anneka on Radio 2 right now between 2am & 5am sitting in for the regular host all week.

Having been viewing her from 30 years ago in recent weeks it's quite reassuring and pleasant to hear her in the here and now of the current moment sounding just the same as ever. I wonder if she is gaining any new younger fans seeing Treasure Hunt for the first time & liking it. Not to mention the repeat fees!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 492
    Forum Member
    I hope they buy more - and repeat that Xmas special where Anneka & Kenneth were contestants, with three celebrity guest skyrunners (I think Kenny Lynch & Wayne Sleep were two) which ended in the studio & the "treasure" being the yellow helecopter they move on the map
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ozcabs wrote: »
    I hope they buy more - and repeat that Xmas special where Anneka & Kenneth were contestants, with three celebrity guest skyrunners (I think Kenny Lynch & Wayne Sleep were two) which ended in the studio & the "treasure" being the yellow helecopter they move on the map

You have just told us what happens :confused: anyway go onto Challenge Facebook and ask them to buy more maybe if they get enough people asking they might consider it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ok ok ok I'm a huge TH fan always have been I used to watch it from my baby chair wow 31 years ago eeeeek oh well so here's the chat

I loved this show it's a crimeeeee challage are not putting all epps on tv
    Thankyou to the person who up loaded the entire A Rice shows they were the best

It was so funny who ( Pay Attention Annie ) kept being used lol
    Now I guess money is the reason challage won't buy anymore shame

Just a quick question I live in leafy Warwick did Annie land in Warwick castle
    Also my fave destination in the uk is York in North Yorkshire did she land in York

Ok so I remember wincy willis poor Kenneth he kept tripping over stuff in the studio it was great when Annie use to land she could see where they needed to be but the pilot would land miles away lol

And when she lands it just so happens there was always a van or car or lorry to get her there now I'm grown up I can see it was totally set up but anyway it was one of the Best shows in tv as it was Now I watch Gogglebox how times have changed

( my fantasy show ) Now if I was going to remake it I would have an Agusta 109 there a great chopper then in studio I would have Alan Carr and Davina Mcall or Claudia Winklemen as the sky runner yes the map would be electronic and the map on the wall could show live pics from the chopper or the wall could be a goggle screen giving hints to the clue

I do love the show and I hope all series will be on challages box set area on sky's on-demand section
  • Options
    Forum Member
    000Mark000 wrote: »
    I'm afraid that before we even discuss 'E'lf and Saftey, I must issue your first written warning for being blatantly sexiest and ageist.

People, regardless of age or sex are equally entitled to sit in, get in and out of, or even fall out of open helicopters in this day and age.

I assume you're joking.
    I was, of course, referring to if Annie was making it now. And she was a young woman.