Options

University Challenge

Comments

• Options
    SupratadSupratad Posts: 10,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Final tonight.
    I'm wondering if one of the Cambridge team will fall out of their chair.
  • Options
    marjanglesmarjangles Posts: 9,681
    Forum Member
    I made a bet with my OH that Trinity Cambridge would win immediately after their first appearance. They were pretty unstoppable just a shame they're so blooming smug.
  • Options
    gillypandagillypanda Posts: 13,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    marjangles wrote: »
    I made a bet with my OH that Trinity Cambridge would win immediately after their first appearance. They were pretty unstoppable just a shame they're so blooming smug.

I wanted Oxford to win tonight, but old Drnovsek-Zorko is on fire!
  • Options
    gillypandagillypanda Posts: 13,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And the Cambridge captain's trousers are too short! Honestly they knew they'd be on the telly, make an effort chaps!
  • Options
    AbrielAbriel Posts: 8,525
    Forum Member
    gillypanda wrote: »
    And the Cambridge captain's trousers are too short! Honestly they knew they'd be on the telly, make an effort chaps!

Theyre probably his lucky trousers or something. He really is Sheldon.
  • Options
    valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Who could see them, sat behind a desk.?
  • Options
    marjanglesmarjangles Posts: 9,681
    Forum Member
    I wanted Oxford to win tonight, but old Drnovsek-Zorko is on fire!

He was the only one that didn't have an annoying smirk on his face. Mind you none of the other teams are much better!
  • Options
    Torch81Torch81 Posts: 15,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    valkay wrote: »
    Who could see them, sat behind a desk.?

You could see them at the end when the team was in front of the desk to collect the trophy. I must admit, it was incredibly noticeable!
  • Options
    ffa1ffa1 Posts: 2,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Walker on the losing team (the chap on the far left) had a nightmare! Everything he said was wrong!
  • Options
    LordBobbinLordBobbin Posts: 359
    Forum Member
    ffa1 wrote: »
    Walker on the losing team (the chap on the far left) had a nightmare! Everything he said was wrong!

I was laughing at some of his expressions of total disbelief as he got yet another wrong answer. It was as though he was questioning the sanity of the question-setters!
  • Options
    able1able1 Posts: 1,442
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Sounds like a line from Ripping Yarns.
  • Options
    henry_hopehenry_hope Posts: 761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    where are the women?
    Even New Hall didnt have any women this year and thats meant to be a womens college,originally! Once you let the men in there is no hope!
  • Options
    FayecorgasmFayecorgasm Posts: 29,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    henry_hope wrote: »
    where are the women?
    Even New Hall didnt have any women this year and thats meant to be a womens college,originally! Once you let the men in there is no hope!

well there were teams with women in and they didnt get through surely the idea is to pick the best team to win not the most politically correct team and stuff winning
  • Options
    katherine500000katherine500000 Posts: 569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sadly because of the all must be equal brigade the special ethos of the ladies colleges was no longer tenable
  • Options
    ian_jopsonian_jopson Posts: 551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    More science questions tonight? I managed to get nine right tonight, rather than my usual fifteen to twenty. Rather amazed myself that I named the picture of Tesla, God knows where that came from! Bragging session over.
  • Options
    chrono88chrono88 Posts: 3,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am so happy I recognised Tesla straight away and no one else got it. YAY me :p

NID result. The Ridley guy is kinda hawt
  • Options
    heikerheiker Posts: 7,029
    Forum Member
    ffa1 wrote: »

Did anyone else notice that Walker had a massive problem during every Somerville - Oxford appearance with the studio monitor. Everytime his face appeared on the monitor he immediately turned and look directly into camera. Muppet !!!
  • Options
    CaroUKCaroUK Posts: 6,354
    Forum Member
    Glad to see the annoying little twerp from Somerville lose ( the Captain) - he was just so arrogant and smug I wanted to slap him!

Personally I found Trinity less smug and annoying than Somerville, but Somerville might have been more likeable with a different bod in the Captain's chair.....

Just a comment for you.... I tried out for my Uni team on this programme in the 70s...... And the trials were a waste of time - all the places on the team had already been decided by the Union president...... Him, his girlfriend (thick as sh*t!) and two of his drinking buddies..... Lost by a mile in the first round!
  • Options
    snoweyowlsnoweyowl Posts: 1,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Abriel wrote: »
    Theyre probably his lucky trousers or something. He really is Sheldon.

Sheldon? Was he the captain in 'Starter for Ten', He looked just like him.
  • Options
    TheDevil666TheDevil666 Posts: 899
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Disappointed that Somerville didn't win, but only because I thought their captain was utterly, utterly adorable (and plays for my team, I think!) - contrary to some of the opinion on here, I suppose!

Good final though, all in all, particularly the Slovenian player.
  • Options
    TiggywinkTiggywink Posts: 3,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CaroUK wrote: »
    Glad to see the annoying little twerp from Somerville lose ( the Captain) - he was just so arrogant and smug I wanted to slap him!

Personally I found Trinity less smug and annoying than Somerville, but Somerville might have been more likeable with a different bod in the Captain's chair.....

Just a comment for you.... I tried out for my Uni team on this programme in the 70s...... And the trials were a waste of time - all the places on the team had already been decided by the Union president...... Him, his girlfriend (thick as sh*t!) and two of his drinking buddies..... Lost by a mile in the first round!

LOL! I thought he was really SWEET - a wee little chappie, so cute! :D
  • Options
    JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    snoweyowl wrote: »
    Sheldon? Was he the captain in 'Starter for Ten', He looked just like him.
    You don't know Sheldon Cooper from The Big Bang Theory? You have missed some seriously funny TV.
  • Options
    opal88opal88 Posts: 1,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Disappointed that Somerville didn't win, but only because I thought their captain was utterly, utterly adorable (and plays for my team, I think!) - contrary to some of the opinion on here, I suppose!

Good final though, all in all, particularly the Slovenian player.

He drove me mad though I got less so the more I saw him - I expect he'd be ok once you got to know him. I thought they were all a bit smug on both teams actually but as a Manchester fan, I have to say that!
  • Options
    LordBobbinLordBobbin Posts: 359
    Forum Member
    opal88 wrote: »
    He drove me mad though I got less so the more I saw him - I expect he'd be ok once you got to know him. I thought they were all a bit smug on both teams actually but as a Manchester fan, I have to say that!

I think it must be very hard to answer lots of very difficult questions and *not* appear smug. To be honest, I'm always quite surprised they don't look rather more pleased with themselves than they do... If I casually threw out a couple of starters in a row, I might be tempted to jump up onto my chair and give a whoop of triumph!

The Somerville chap was very annoying at first. By the time we got to the final, though, I had almost warmed to his constant hopping around on his seat and inane grinning. At least he seemed to be enjoying himself! (Admittedly, I would have much preferred Mitchell to be sitting there, though...)
  • Options
    ffa1ffa1 Posts: 2,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LordBobbin wrote: »
    I was laughing at some of his expressions of total disbelief as he got yet another wrong answer. It was as though he was questioning the sanity of the question-setters!

He looked incredibly sheepish as he stood there having greeted the winners. :D