Options

Most wins in a row record in English league football under threat

Thomas007Thomas007 Posts: 14,309
Forum Member
✭✭
As mentioned, today was Liverpool 10th successive league win a row. If they were to match it, they would win the league.

The English record for all of the top 4 divisions in the history of football is 14. They were done by:

Arsenal (Premier League between 10 February 2002 and 24 August 2002) (Top-flight record)
Manchester United (Second Division, 1904–05)
Bristol City (Second Division, 1905–06)
Preston North End (Second Division, 1950–51)

Other European league records:
Eredivisie
22 games — 1987–1988 PSV Eindhoven

Bundesliga
19 games — 2013–2014 Bayern Munich

Serie A
17 games — 2006–2007 F.C. Internazionale Milano

La Liga
16 games — 2010–2011 F.C. Barcelona

Obviously I don't think most Liverpool fans care about the record as long as they win the title. But it is a frightening run they are on, if they were to get an easy set of fixtures at the start of next season, they could eclipse some of those other records in other European leagues.

Simply amazing.

Comments

• Options
    batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If they manage to break that overall one then that will be an excellent achievement indeed, and even now, they have put together a wonderful run, and one that I cannot dis-respect.
  • Options
    007Fusion007Fusion Posts: 3,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think Liverpool will win every single game until the end of the season. I can see a draw occurring at some point. But if they do, then I can see them breaking at least Barcelona's record going into the following season.
  • Options
    Steveaustin316Steveaustin316 Posts: 15,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    2 more wins for Liverpool will equal the club record set in 1990.
  • Options
    Thomas007Thomas007 Posts: 14,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chelsea's obviously the stumbling block, if they win that, there's no reason why they can't win the rest of them.

Liverpool have all the signs they might one of the favourites for the CL next year.
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The fact that our record is lower speaks well about the strength of our football.

Rangers have had two draws and won everything else this season but their longest run was 14
  • Options
    Assa2Assa2 Posts: 10,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Utd were the last team to have a run longer than 10 games, in 2008/09 when they won 11 on the bounce (ended in a 1-4 home defeat but still won the title). After that it's Arsenal's record of 13 wins in one season, 14 across 2 seasons.
  • Options
    batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thomas007 wrote: »
    Chelsea's obviously the stumbling block, if they win that, there's no reason why they can't win the rest of them.

Liverpool have all the signs they might one of the favourites for the CL next year.

I wouldn't go quite that far just yet, yes they have done very well indeed so far this season, but without seeing the makeup of the sqauds of the teams in it next season, (and we don't know who will be in it yet, as there is still so much to be decided on that front) then I don't know how you can call them one of the favourites.
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,944
    Forum Member
    Thomas007 wrote: »

I think that's jumping the gun. They have benefitted hugely from a lack of European games in the second half of the season, plus they seem to have done well injury wise as well. I'm not knocking them by the way, they've been amazing this season.