Options

Masterchef 2014 - it's here

Comments

• Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    More hygienic than some of the contestants with hair flopping all over their face

I tend to worry about the ones with spots or sores on their faces which they scratch and rub whilst cooking.

The hat is probably not a serious health risk but if he likes to wear a hat then it might have looked better if he had worn a catering one.
  • Options
    Slow_LorisSlow_Loris Posts: 24,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought they were all pretty rubbish tonight, it is amazing how much the quality varies from show to show.
  • Options
    frostfrost Posts: 4,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No. Two people within two series. No flat caps when on Masterchef, for Gods sake.

Natalie is awesome. Masterchef clearly love her too, got by far the most screen time of the judges, which is great.

I dont think any today were that good, but its not been a bd series so far.
  • Options
    catinabasketcatinabasket Posts: 707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I cannot remember. Did he wear that cap when walking in from the street? If so then he should have been asked to remove it when in the kitchen. It is affectation anyway and his cooking was not strong enough for him not to look like a dork throughout.
  • Options
    DeliriumTremensDeliriumTremens Posts: 2,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Dave wore the cap (he said he always wore a hat when cooking) as he was trying to go for a 'trademark look'. A bit like Chris did in MC Australia 1st series. I wanted to slap it off his head too.
  • Options
    AbrielAbriel Posts: 8,525
    Forum Member
    Just caught up with all you comments. Daughter kept saying 'why is he wearing a hat?' And 'why do they all pile up the food?' Summed up last night really. Liked Theo though
  • Options
    lammtarralammtarra Posts: 4,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gilesb wrote: »
    I thought they were all pretty rubbish tonight, it is amazing how much the quality varies from show to show.

I'm not sure this was the weakest heat we've seen, and though this might be a minority view, I thought some can count themselves a tad unlucky. Ed's nerves clearly got the better of him and the judges did make some comment about those people who went through needing to handle the pressure; Julie might have made a better fist of her main course had she not been distracted by redoing the fondant; even Deirdre, given a different box for the invention test might not have repeated her calling card dish.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Camis wrote: »
    I liked when Greg said he was expecting him to cook the squid Greek-style that he replied 'I've already done that, I need to show you something different', unlike dreary-thai woman.

Yes, and different yet again for the champions round. Theo also did more work than the others -- working more efficiently, not necessarily harder. He has technique, and temperament, and now he has won the time to produce a Masterchef-winning dish in the quarter-final and beyond.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Camis wrote: »
    I liked when Greg said he was expecting him to cook the squid Greek-style that he replied 'I've already done that, I need to show you something different', unlike dreary-thai woman.

Dierdre, like Rani earlier, seemed to be a one-trick pony with the added disadvantage that anyone cooking Thai food has to satisfy John Torode's own interpretation of that cuisine. I do wonder if Dierdre cooks mostly for herself, not just because she used sugar to take the edge off the soup but another sign was the way she stuck her thumb on the plate while serving.
  • Options
    CaltonfanCaltonfan Posts: 6,311
    Forum Member
    Cant argue with Theo going through be was easily head and shoulders above the rest however Julie should have went through ahead of the bald guy, can only think there was some sort of Bald Guy union with Gregg
  • Options
    BadcatBadcat Posts: 3,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just catching up.

Interesting that the 3 judges loved baldies main and liked his dessert but Toad and Skerk found fault in both. I'd rather go with the judges opinion than a greengrocer and "not really a chef anymore". I would have eaten both quite happily!

Julies main looked horrible! urgh! Not keen on orange with choc but I'm a bit odd. :)

Theo... wow. I want Theo to come and cook my meals!! I love the way he cooked 3 styles of meals instead of just doing "thai, thai, thai" or "curry, curry, curry" like some of the previous contestants we have seen.

Flat cap man - Could he stack his dish ANY higher??! lamb and fish? nooooooo, separate perhaps? are brownies becoming the new beetroot of the dessert choice? :)

right 2 went through IMO. Julie was ok but her invention test was awful as was her last main.
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lammtarra wrote: »
    Dierdre, like Rani earlier, seemed to be a one-trick pony with the added disadvantage that anyone cooking Thai food has to satisfy John Torode's own interpretation of that cuisine. I do wonder if Dierdre cooks mostly for herself, not just because she used sugar to take the edge off the soup but another sign was the way she stuck her thumb on the plate while serving.

If someone is good at Indian, Thai etc food so uses those recipes then they are criticised as a one-trick pony.

But if they only do French food then they are praised for being good at classic food.
  • Options
    mazzy50mazzy50 Posts: 13,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good evening ;-)

That mushroom sauce may taste nice, but it looks putrid.
  • Options
    nuttytiggernuttytigger Posts: 14,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Evening all.
  • Options
    sausagesandwichsausagesandwich Posts: 2,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Evening all. My money's on Luke
  • Options
    EllieGEllieG Posts: 108,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Good evening.
    Wonder who will be tonight's "plum dumpling" chef :D
  • Options
    horwichallstarshorwichallstars Posts: 16,514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Come on Luke .....
  • Options
    stargazer61stargazer61 Posts: 70,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    evening all
  • Options
    sheepiefarmsheepiefarm Posts: 27,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Evening all :)

I'll be genuinely surprised if it's not Luke & Theo going through at the end.
  • Options
    CamisCamis Posts: 13,552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Evening all
  • Options
    nuttytiggernuttytigger Posts: 14,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Grr just started and my husband tells me to pause it so I'll be behind again.
  • Options
    AndaghaAndagha Posts: 31,212
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Evening all, just had to remove a very disgruntled kitten from the sofa..lol. How can one little kitten take up a whole sofa...I was perched on the edge.
  • Options
    AndaghaAndagha Posts: 31,212
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ewww didn't like the look of that sauce..it looked like the cat had been at it :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Grr just started and my husband tells me to pause it so I'll be behind again.

I thought it was just Mr Mazz that did that!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Andagha wrote: »
    Evening all, just had to remove a very disgruntled kitten from the sofa..lol. How can one little kitten take up a whole sofa...I was perched on the edge.

Bless! :D