Trouble logging into my TP-Link wireless homeplug

Please could you advise me on this as I can't find a solution to the problem.

I have a sky router on ip address 192.168.0.1 and am able to login to the admin page using U/N: admin Pass: sky

I have managed to plug a home plug (to-link AV200) into the router and a wireless home plug (tp-link AV200) into another room and I can now connect to the internet using the the home lug wireless. The name of the new wireless point is "TP-Link_30EF1E" and it has no password.

I am simply trying to change the name of the wireless (TP-Link_30EF1E) and put a password on it. I would have thought that I can use default setting of the router (found printed on the sticker) with the IP address (192.168.1.1) and the U/N admin and the password admin to access the admin page of the TP-link to and change the settings but it won't work.

Using this IP doesn't let me access the hone plug... any ideas why not?

Thanks

Comments

• plugs13ampplugs13amp Posts: 274
    Forum Member
    You can't log in to a PowerLine adapter like that (I have the micro AV500s), you have to use the admin utility on the supplied resource cd (here if you can't find it - on the download tab). See page 8 of the user guide, downloadable from the same location.

Powerline adapters don't have an ip address (although they do have a mac address) as they are effectively a piece of wire as far as the network is concerned, so you can't use one to access the device.
  • chris_elevatechris_elevate Posts: 585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ahhhh you little beauty! Thanks for your help!

I assume the IP address, u/n and password on the back of the plug will come into play when I've installed the necessary software? I also assume I can do this on mac?

Would you suggest changing the IP address of the plug to be the same as the sky router e.g:
    Sky 192.168.0.1
    TP link 192.168.0.2

Or leave it as they are:
    Sky 192.168.0.1
    TP link 192.168.1.1

Will it make a difference as I roam from one room to another whilst using the wireless connection or will it still be interrupted as it connect to the two access points?

Thanks for your help
  • MustabusterMustabuster Posts: 5,975
    Forum Member
    I've got the same TP link power line adapters. I've never bothered installing any software for it. It should be just plug in, link up and go.
  • chris_elevatechris_elevate Posts: 585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How did you change the name of the wireless point and set a password on it then?
  • MustabusterMustabuster Posts: 5,975
    Forum Member
    I'm mistaken. I have two power line adapters (AV200) but they are not wireless access points which seems to be what you seem to be asking about.

Regarding your problem, shouldn't the router access point be sufficient? All the network traffic needs to go via the router anyway.
  • plugs13ampplugs13amp Posts: 274
    Forum Member
    Having studied the user guide I see these Powerline adapters do indeed have an ip address. It's necessary so because the admin tool is web based and you need the ip to connect to it. It doesn't play any part in the normal functioning in terms of passing your network data through them. So if it's working, and you can get to the admin screen I'd leave well alone.

The user guide says as the tool is web based, it will run on PC, Mac or Linux.

As to your room roaming question, I don't know. And I don't know if you should have the SSIDs the same or different. Never had to play in that area. Someone with a bit more knowledge on that will have to answer.
  • Ulysses777Ulysses777 Posts: 741
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ah yes, TP-Link, who make 200mbps, 500mbps adaptors...

...with 100mbps Ethernet ports. :confused: