iPhone 3G contract coming to end. Do I upgrade to 3GS?

stateofgameplaystateofgameplay Posts: 3,578
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Right everyone. Basically in December I'll be able to upgrade to a 3GS. Should I:

Upgrade on an 18 month contract then skip the 4th Gen iPhone and get the 5th in 2011.

or

wait till June/July and get the 4th gen and skip the 5th.

Decisions, decisions!

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    3GS isn't that different a beast to the 3G. Personally I'd wait and see what june brings rather than getting a minor upgrade.
  • russellellyrussellelly Posts: 11,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'll be unlocking, canceling my contract and using a much cheaper SIM (probably '3') when my contract with O2 is up (soon too :) ). I've played with the 3GS and don't think it's worth the cash, especially since it's been out a while now meaning closer to the next one.
  • CoolboyACoolboyA Posts: 10,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'll be unlocking, canceling my contract and using a much cheaper SIM (probably '3') when my contract with O2 is up (soon too :) ). I've played with the 3GS and don't think it's worth the cash, especially since it's been out a while now meaning closer to the next one.
    I agree with this. The 3GS offers minimal upgrades. If you are desparate for another iPhone just wait a wee while.

Personally, I'd go for a better phone on contract and get an iPod Touch with the money you will save. The "phone" side of the iPhone is a total gimmick in my eyes and it is certainly not worth the money they ask for it on contract.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 486
    Forum Member
    CoolboyA wrote: »
    I agree with this. The 3GS offers minimal upgrades. If you are desparate for another iPhone just wait a wee while.

Personally, I'd go for a better phone on contract and get an iPod Touch with the money you will save. The "phone" side of the iPhone is a total gimmick in my eyes and it is certainly not worth the money they ask for it on contract.

A Touch becomes infinitely more useful with a persistant internet connection, which the gimmick phone side provides.

stateofgameplay, wait for the next revision.
  • stateofgameplaystateofgameplay Posts: 3,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, the persistent connection is key to me. I like to be able to access services where I need them, not in a wi-fi zone necessarily. At home, and with friends and family wi-fi is a given, but I don't just use the device for phone calls. I have TomTom software, Twitter, Facebook and regularly check emails and websites on the move. I don't use it as an entertainment device primarily (except for podcasts) but for a multimedia internet device.

I've invested into the platform, and regardless of the solutions and the enviable appeal of Android, I'm here with iPhone and I'm happy with it.

Ultimately I'm thinking that the 4th iPhone revision is going to be a big step. Frankly it has to be considering Android 2.0's arrival, and especially if they are going to use a Snapdragon or ARM Cortex A9 in it.

I think the 3GS seems to be the pinnacle of the original idea of the iPhone, so the iPhone 4th Gen will be the next big step. I guess the rumoured iTablet will tell me more! :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 227
    Forum Member
    im waiting till the 4th gen and just using my 3g (come jan) on pay as you go o2 , or may even unlock and go orange.
    im going to be saving so much money its rediculous! then if 4th gen is decent il get it else if its another apple minor upgrade il just skip.
  • davethorpdavethorp Posts: 8,701
    Forum Member
    The 3GS isn't a great leap as others have said, it is noticably faster than the 3G but that isn't worth locking yourself in to an 18 or more likely 24 month contract missing at least 1 new revision and possibly 2.

Drop yourself down to simplicity and hang fire would be my suggestion. Or look at alternatives to the iPhone. Also depending on your spend, if you have opted in to o2 priority list you may be able to upgrade earlier than you think. My iPhone 3G contract expires at roughly the same time as yours but I am a silver level customer so can upgrade 1 month early which should be a week today!! Gold can upgrade 3 months early and platinum 6 months
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,965
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As other have said, lower your contract and then wait til June
  • 00tommo00tommo Posts: 2,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anybody know what we're likely to be getting in June on the 4th generation?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    00tommo wrote: »
    Does anybody know what we're likely to be getting in June on the 4th generation?

Bump , anyone know whats on the 4g , because i have 2g iphone and was thinking of upgrading but i'm not gonna pay half a grand if there is a better one out in june
  • simon69csimon69c Posts: 1,423
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is a virtual certainty that there will be a new iPhone in June-ish sort of time - Apple have basically said they are on an annual development cycle for the iPhone hardware. As for what features might be in it, no-one really knows yet. Best bet is to follow sites like macrumors for the latest rumours.

2G to 3GS is definitely a worthwhile upgrade, but it won't be all that long before a newer one is available.
  • gary77gary77 Posts: 977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ah was going to ask as im planning to upgrade to an iphone, may as well hold off till June.
  • PencilPencil Posts: 5,700
    Forum Member
    Buy a touch screen phone that isn't the iPhone - i.e. the latest Sony Ericsson.

That way, you'll be ahead of every generation of the iPhone for the next 3 years.
  • AxeVictimAxeVictim Posts: 3,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pencil wrote: »
    Buy a touch screen phone that isn't the iPhone - i.e. the latest Sony Ericsson.

That way, you'll be ahead of every generation of the iPhone for the next 3 years.

It will take sony 3 years to get the same level of apps availible to the iphone now :p
    Nice spec fone tho just a shame about the apps.
  • technoflaretechnoflare Posts: 2,550
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im hoping the 4th gen is good, 5MP camera, flash...etc if it is good might for for it when my contract runs out. considering the touch now...must see if my N97 can act as a wifi hub for the 3g or maybe get 3's new 3g wifi adaptor would make the touch a goer maybe...
  • alflavoralflavor Posts: 1,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd wait if you are out of contract, as June is not that long away.

That said I've just signed up for a new 3GS on Orange, but this is my 1st iphone (selling my touch and keeping also an 02 6300 Nokia that work pay for)
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm in the same boat and I have decided to just wait till the next iPhone and just get it with a 24 month contract.

18 month contracts are annoying as they expire half way through the products life cycle.