Just how fast is technology evolving?

2»

Comments

• irishguyirishguy Posts: 22,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lyricalis wrote: »
    Flying cars are, sort of, possible, it's just that they use large amounts of fuel, aren't terribly safe, and you'd never get permission to fly one anywhere near a city at the moment. Just think of the 'fun' a terrorist could have with one of those. :eek:

I could live with a robot then. Someone to handle work for me when I couldnt be assed going in. The 80s predicted computers and AI would be so advanced that we wouldnt have to do much anyway... IT would take care of most of the work.. what happened to that idea???
  • spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    irishguy wrote: »
    I could live with a robot then. Someone to handle work for me when I couldnt be assed going in. The 80s predicted computers and AI would be so advanced that we wouldnt have to do much anyway... IT would take care of most of the work.. what happened to that idea???

It was bollocks!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fifth_generation_computer
  • LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    iannai wrote: »
    It's quite incredible to think that, as a species, we have got to the level where some of us spend our time in existence working out the best way for humans to slide their fingers over a glass screen in order for messages to appear. Or something.

Not a dig at Lyricalis, just a kind of WTF is this life thing all about? I suppose it's a dig at the entire Human race if anything. Talk about punching above your weight. Here's me having a go at the rest of my species :D

No, it's a good point. Our findings were that none of these new interface technologies actually improved on the mouse and keyboard, not for the sorts of uses our customers were interested in (mostly medical and defence).

The main exception to this was with novice computer users, who found touchscreens and voice control far more approachable and friendly, which I guess makes sense. So the real benefit of these things is that they make technology more accessible to greater numbers of people. That's very important when you consider how quickly the internet has taken off and pretty much become another utility along with power and water.

I've never had much time for the opinion that we are getting above ourselves or playing God, etc. If anything I don't think we value ourselves as much as we should. We are a unique species after all. Nothing comes close to us on the rest of the planet when it comes to brain power.
  • LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    irishguy wrote: »

Cheap labour happened for starters. You'd be better off subcontracting your work to someone in a cheaper country and staying in bed. Just give yourself time to check the results before you turn them over to your boss ;).
  • spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Player_Piano

Vonnegut's Dystopia was closely based on The Human Use of Human Beings.

http://www.angelfire.com/co/1x137/wiener.html