Hershey's chocolate in ASDA

LudwigVonDrakeLudwigVonDrake Posts: 12,836
Forum Member
✭✭
My local ASDA has started stocking a large range of Hershey's chocolate bars - plain, almond, cookies and cream and Kisses. (as well as Tootsie Rolls).

Now last time I tried some of their chocolate it was the Kisses and they were vile. However I decided to give a bar a go and it was actually quite nice.

Packet says its made in the EU, so I'm guessing they've change the recipe. Anyone know if that's right?

Comments

• swehsweh Posts: 13,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have no idea if that's right or not, but may I just say thanks for sharing that!

I love love love Hershey's Cookies and Cream! I'll be over the moon if I go in ASDA tomorrow and find some. :D
  • OrangecrabOrangecrab Posts: 1,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I too love Hershey's Cookies and Cream and look forward to my occasional visit to Asda where I can get them. I haven't seen the almond or kisses bars there yet.

Hershey's also manufacture Reese's Peanut Butter Cups which rather nutty but nice (like me)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 170
    Forum Member
    I htnik most of the larger Asda stores are now doing the main ranges of chocolate bars, cookies and cream and kisses as well.

They are also doing the Reeces peanut butter cup minis which arent so mini they are more rolo shaped as opposed to the larger flatter saucer shaped ones you get in a pack of three.

I bake them in the middle of chocolate cupcakes and then do a peanut butter frosting
  • sarahj1986sarahj1986 Posts: 11,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is possible the recipe was tweaked abit. I know some products available here are completely different to that in the US. Froot Loops which are now on sale in Tesco are not a patch on the US ones, these can be ordered online but cost quite abit. Similar to pop tarts I believes are not as good (think it must be all the sugar)

I sound like a sales man for Amazon or something...
  • MythicaMythica Posts: 3,808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Hersheys I had from my Local Asda was made in the USA, but this was when they first started appearing in Asda, not sure about now, will check tomorrow if I remember.

I do hate this though, if it's American, import it. I'd rather pay the higher price to have the 'real' thing, otherwise once the recipe has changed it ceases to become what it once was if that makes sense. When I go on holiday to Greece, I drink Mythos lager which is 5% stuff. Buy Mythos in the uk and it is 4.7%. I'm sorry but that isn't Mythos to me.
  • dadioflexdadioflex Posts: 1,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    US "chocolate" generally isn't able to call itself chocolate in the EU because of higher standards here, so they probably have changed the recipes to comply.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dadioflex wrote: »
    US "chocolate" generally isn't able to call itself chocolate in the EU because of higher standards here, so they probably have changed the recipes to comply.

Many shops import American chocolate, CyberCandy in London being a major one.
  • shmiskshmisk Posts: 7,963
    Forum Member
    Mythica wrote: »
    Many shops import American chocolate, CyberCandy in London being a major one.

do they have american 'payday' bars?
    they are gorgeous
  • ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    From the texture, the main ingredient in Hershey's "chocolate" appears to be sand.
    More US dross pretending to be something it isn't: see also "football".
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ironjade wrote: »
    From the texture, the main ingredient in Hershey's "chocolate" appears to be sand.
    More US dross pretending to be something it isn't: see also "football".

i think I will stick with Lindt, not that I have chocolate that often these days.
  • neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do they still do chocolate and peanut butter bars?
  • benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hershey bars are horrible! I was so excited when I bought one in America and was so dissapointed, it tasted yuck.
  • daisiesfandaisiesfan Posts: 2,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What you ate is not chocolate. Hershey's tatses like sick on it's own. I do however like the peanut butter cups and the Nutrageous bars.
  • Softie-CynicSoftie-Cynic Posts: 153
    Forum Member
    One of the greatest disappointments of my life was tasting a Hershey Bar, having longed to do so for some 15 years.
    The longing started after I watched the film Empire of the sun where a hershey bar is mentioned almost as if some kind of ultimate must have chocolate.
    The WORST choc. Bar i have tasted by some distance.
  • LudwigVonDrakeLudwigVonDrake Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree, the US bars do taste horrible with thier vile after taste, but I got none of that with these 'local' bars. So for anyone who was disappointed and feel like a gamble, I'd recommend giving it a try.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shmisk wrote: »
    do they have american 'payday' bars?
    they are gorgeous

Not sure, but they have all sorts and not just from America.

Check here http://www.cybercandy.co.uk/
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree, the US bars do taste horrible with thier vile after taste, but I got none of that with these 'local' bars. So for anyone who was disappointed and feel like a gamble, I'd recommend giving it a try.

Again, as far as I'm aware, the Hershey's chocolate in Asda is imported from America. At least it certainly was when Asda first started selling it not long ago as I checked. The RC Cola is made in the UK though.
  • LudwigVonDrakeLudwigVonDrake Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mythica wrote: »
    Again, as far as I'm aware, the Hershey's chocolate in Asda is imported from America. At least it certainly was when Asda first started selling it not long ago as I checked. The RC Cola is made in the UK though.
    The one I tried was 'made in the EU' (nice and ambiguous!)
  • Andy BirkenheadAndy Birkenhead Posts: 13,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've just eaten a Hershey's Cookies 'n' Creme bar from my local ASDA.
    Not bad. It wasn't as bad as I was expecting.
    It's not called Chocolate though.
    It says on the wrapper " Naturally and Artificially Flavoured Candy"
    Note it says "Flavoured" (UK spelling) and not "Flavored" (US spelling)
  • 19Nick6819Nick68 Posts: 1,792
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We had a mixed mini bag at work a few months ago, someone had been to the states.

Four different varieties, three were ok, one was dreadful and just got left.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The one I tried was 'made in the EU' (nice and ambiguous!)

I wonder if that's the extra creamy one or whatever it's called. I remember reading that it's not available in America and it was made for the EU (UK?) market. Might be wrong, but it would make sense.
  • 001_ATLANTIS001_ATLANTIS Posts: 2,068
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hersheys US 'chocolate' bars are absolutely putrid. I simply cannot understand why they have this kind of iconic status about them.They are a very distant cousin to our own UK familiar brands and a mere stranger to proper continental chocolate!

I do however love anything from the Reeses peanut range. It will probably plug your arteries up but it tastes heavenly :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Herschey's chocolate bars are f'ing hanging! Taste like eating a bar of soap!

I was so dissapointed when I had one in America.
  • doom&gloomdoom&gloom Posts: 9,051
    Forum Member
    They sell the original ones and the Extra Creamy ones at Asda, the Extra Creamy ones taste like Galaxy but not quite as nice, edible but not worth the premium.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I don't eat chocolate regularly but picked up a bar of the original milk today and it tastes fine to me, not that i've done a taste test with it's rivals though.

On the pack it says it is produced in the US. I suppose they could make a different batch or have a seperate plant for bars destined for the EU.