Options

Drug mules caught

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cultureman wrote: »
    No you're wrong the British government consistently refrains from getting involved in drugs cases within foreign jurisdictions unless issues like the death penalty are involved.
    I bet you any money he will get involved, these girls will get a lot of media attention and he will have to step in at some stage.

Poor innocent girls made to smuggle drugs by big bad druglords! the bullcrap stories are starting already.
  • Options
    culturemancultureman Posts: 11,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    asp746 wrote: »
    I've no sympathy at all - sorry but no way did they not know what they were doing.

Unlikely. Would you risk 25 years in a 3rd World foreign prison for a few thousand pounds? If not why do you believe these girls knowingly would? They were quite possibly told a story which they believed by highly amoral people with a vested financial interest in deceiving people and considerable experience of doing so.

It's possible they no more "knew what they were really doing" than say poor young girls from Eastern Europe who are sold tales of lucrative work opportunities in the West, but instead end up in forced prostitution.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nikkiclody wrote: »
    I bet you any money he will get involved, these girls will get a lot of media attention and he will have to step in at some stage.

Poor innocent girls made to smuggle drugs by big bad druglords! the bullcrap stories are starting already.

Do you have any examples from the last few decades during which many thousands of our nationals have been caught of the British government doing so in drugs cases?
  • Options
    DavserDavser Posts: 2,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unlikely. Would you risk 25 years in a 3rd World foreign prison for a few thousand pounds? If not why do you believe these girls knowingly would? They were quite possibly told a story which they believed by highly amoral people with a vested financial interest in deceiving people and considerable experience of doing so.

It's possible they no more "knew what they were really doing" than say poor young girls from Eastern Europe who are sold tales of lucrative work opportunities in the West, but instead end up in forced prostitution.

They knew what they were doing. You don't go off to Ibiza to do the summer season, jet of to Peru for a couple of days and then route your way back to Majorca without some scooby about what was up.

They would have been told they would get £8k to smuggle some coke out of Peru. No doubt convinced by whoever that it happens alll the time and that security is rubbish so easy money.

Probably didn't realise how much they would have to smuggle though.
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    I'm going to wait until we get the whole story before I start calling for their execution.

Keyboard investigators here know it inside out don't they huh? :rolleyes:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On a separate but related note, have Bali dispensed with Lindsay Sandiford yet?
  • Options
    PinkPetuniaPinkPetunia Posts: 5,479
    Forum Member
    I'm going to wait until we get the whole story before I start calling for their execution.

Keyboard investigators here know it inside out don't they huh? :rolleyes:

While I partly agree with you I am asking questions . Why did they leave Ibiza ? Why did they end up in Peru ? Why didnt they at some stage tell someone ?
    The girls were working in Ibiza and suddenly arrived in Peru and on a flight back to Majorca ? You dont go on a weeksd trips to Peru when you are a student working in Ibiza for the summer . Very very very odd and very suspect in my eyes .
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    While I partly agree with you I am asking questions . Why did they leave Ibiza ? Why did they end up in Peru ? Why didnt they at some stage tell someone ?
    The girls were working in Ibiza and suddenly arrived in Peru and on a flight back to Majorca ? You dont go on a weeksd trips to Peru when you are a student working in Ibiza for the summer . Very very very odd and very suspect in my eyes .

Pointless asking people here and then making a judgement on the answers given though.
  • Options
    cpikey316_cpikey316_ Posts: 1,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On the topic of "banged up abroad" Nat Geo showed a similar story to this last night

Man went to Peru, got the drugs, bottled it, flew back without them. The trafficers told him to go back or his family would be harmed.

When he went back, it became apparent that they were going to set him up, apparently he was told that a certain number of mules were highlighted to the customs, to appease the government.

I think he did 7 and a half years in the end.
  • Options
    topcat3topcat3 Posts: 3,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did see an ep of banged up abroad once where the couple were kidnapped and forced. they were holding them in separate hotels and said to the man if he didnt do it they would shoot the woman or something, cant remember what happened in the end

not that im saying thats what happened here but innocent until proven guilty i guess
  • Options
    DavserDavser Posts: 2,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    topcat3 wrote: »
    I did see an ep of banged up abroad once where the couple were kidnapped and forced. they were holding them in separate hotels and said to the man if he didnt do it they would shoot the woman or something, cant remember what happened in the end

not that im saying thats what happened here but innocent until proven guilty i guess

Don't think this is the case here.

the Ibiza to Peru (short stay) back to Majorca route suggests some pre planning.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Davser wrote: »
    They knew what they were doing. You don't go off to Ibiza to do the summer season, jet of to Peru for a couple of days and then route your way back to Majorca without some scooby about what was up.

They would have been told they would get £8k to smuggle some coke out of Peru. No doubt convinced by whoever that it happens alll the time and that security is rubbish so easy money.

Probably didn't realise how much they would have to smuggle though.

Is this fact or (your) opinion? If fact please cite your evidential basis.
  • Options
    balthasarbalthasar Posts: 2,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah well, they took a chance to make some money, it did not work out quite the way they hoped.
    I am sure they will be given ample time courtesy of the Peruvian taxpayer to reflect on their escapade.
  • Options
    topcat3topcat3 Posts: 3,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Davser wrote: »
    Don't think this is the case here.

the Ibiza to Peru (short stay) back to Majorca route suggests some pre planning.

yes but could they have been forced to go to Peru? why weren't they able to contact their families or go on facebook?

im not saying i think thats what happened just that i usually think innocent until proven guilty
  • Options
    Lewi26Lewi26 Posts: 11,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not buying any of their excuses, seems to me they knew exactly what they were doing but the sentences some of these countries (mainly Asian) for drug trafficking is ridiculous! Someone's whole life ruined for trying to bring a bit of Cocain? Ridiculous.
  • Options
    trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unlikely. Would you risk 25 years in a 3rd World foreign prison for a few thousand pounds? If not why do you believe these girls knowingly would? .

Because they are nothing like as sharp as they think they are.
  • Options
    oatstieoatstie Posts: 562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I simply can't understand the mindset of people who do these drug-smuggling crimes and think they can get away with it. Their lives will be absolute hell for the next few years at least. The stress they've put their families under cannot be put into words. We all do stupid things occasionally but I just can't get my head around something as dangerously stupid as this. :confused:
  • Options
    PinkPetuniaPinkPetunia Posts: 5,479
    Forum Member
    Pointless asking people here and then making a judgement on the answers given though.

I wasnt asking anyone , I was asking myself and having a chat .
  • Options
    SpeedloaferSpeedloafer Posts: 2,407
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oatstie wrote: »
    I simply can't understand the mindset of people who do these drug-smuggling crimes and think they can get away with it. Their lives will be absolute hell for the next few years at least. The stress they've put their families under cannot be put into words. We all do stupid things occasionally but I just can't get my head around something as dangerously stupid as this. :confused:

Because they are on a holiday island, they see "glamorous" gangsters. They are told you can earn £8k which is basically an all expenses paid free summer on their holiday island. Nobody will know you even went, you will never get caught. XXXX has done it loads of times, ask him/her. Its easy, you will be home in 4 days. We do it all the time. Its easy etc.
  • Options
    Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its amazing that everyone who gets caught, are innocent and have it planted on them or are forced to do it in this case.

A dangling carrot of a few thousand pounds is the definition of being forced, is it ?
    Because if they were not paid they are even more stupid.
  • Options
    StykerStyker Posts: 49,863
    Forum Member
    Mumof3 wrote: »
    I was asked by a stranger to take a piece of hand luggage through customs at Bogota airport, Colombia, and of course refused. But these girls seem to have got involved knowingly, and now are really up sh** creek. Not much prospect of a happy outcome for either of them.

[QUOTE=Daffodils;67869338]I've got no sympathy, they knew the risks and still took them so it serves them right.[/QUOTE]

How do you know that people are not hoodwinked on this?

I heard phone in shows shows about this and good examples where given on how people can be hoodwinked on this, especially if they are young, not travelled much before and not been warned specifically about why you shouldn't carry anyone else's bag or why you shouldn't give people a hand with their luggage who say its too heavy for them to carry.

One person gave an example of how a British woman might have been hoodwinked while coming back from Pakistan where these guys said to her something like "I've/we've gone over my luggage capacity, you've only got one bag, would you add my bag to yours on the check in so I don't have to pay extra"?

I can see how people who have not been warned about the risks in general and about these kind of scams could be taken in by this.

I think I remember the news story too. If its the one I'm thinking of, the media didn't seem very sympathetic in my view but I think everyone should keep an open mind on this and consider whether or not people may have been hoodwinked or not.

There is a first time for eveything including on knowing what to look out for on various things/issues. No one is going to to know everything on anything straight away and won't until they get told.
  • Options
    valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I doubt Cameron will get involved as they don't appear to be from wealthy families.

Isn't one of then Irish.?
  • Options
    stirlingguy1stirlingguy1 Posts: 7,038
    Forum Member
    valkay wrote: »
    Isn't one of then Irish.?

Well, Northern Irish. Cameron can still help.
  • Options
    southbluesouthblue Posts: 263
    Forum Member
    topcat3 wrote: »

I think I saw that one. If its the one I'm thinking of, didn't it turn out that the woman was in on it and wasn't in any danger at all?
  • Options
    StykerStyker Posts: 49,863
    Forum Member
    Well, Northern Irish. Cameron can still help.

He did help someone else recently on this kind of issue and the Government also played a part in those guys getting released from Dubai too I think about 10 days to 2 weeks ago during Ramadam via Dubai's King.

John Major once succesfully got a woman who had been jailed for this kind of stuff in the far east out of jail about 20 years ago. I think she was interviewed on Sky News today about this case but i didn't stop to watch it as they didn't say what time she was coming on.