Buying a box off e-bay

CricketbladeCricketblade Posts: 2,218
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Having problems with the box 'freezing' and not being able to change channel without turning it off at the mains every hour or so, have done rebuild, so looking at getting a new box via e-bay. Is this recommended? How easy is it to pair it up etc?

Comments

• drabbledrabble Posts: 757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you subscribe to Sky then trying to get a free service call out of them is usually the first choice then if that doesn't work paying them for a service call is still a good option as they will send someone out to swap the box, give you 3 months warranty on it and check everything else out, well at least they should do.

Pairing up the box isn't really an issue since you can do it online as long as you have a Sky ID.

I got both of my 2TB DRX895-C boxes via Gumtree as I didn't fancy the price Sky wanted for them or extending my contract.
  • Mystic EddyMystic Eddy Posts: 3,987
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personally I'd recommend a service call from Sky which will include pairing your card to the new box etc.
  • NsewellNsewell Posts: 824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Having problems with the box 'freezing' and not being able to change channel without turning it off at the mains every hour or so, have done rebuild, so looking at getting a new box via e-bay. Is this recommended? How easy is it to pair it up etc?

I'd certainly recommend it,
    You can pick up a DRX 890 relatively cheaply on ebay.
    The card pairings easy aslong as you don't buy a box which still has unpaid credit against it, sky will refuse to pair it.
    Otherwise just phone up sky and ask them to pair the card, or go to activatemychannels.sky.com and do it online.
  • jedi.warriorjedi.warrior Posts: 32
    Forum Member
    I would be careful buying a box from anywhere, a mate of mine got burned after he bought a 2TB box on ebay, when he rang to pair the card he was told the box was still under contract and could not be paired, worse still he had to send the box back to Sky so lost the money he paid for it!

Best to go through Sky to be safe
  • sodafountainsodafountain Posts: 16,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would be careful buying a box from anywhere, a mate of mine got burned after he bought a 2TB box on ebay, when he rang to pair the card he was told the box was still under contract and could not be paired, worse still he had to send the box back to Sky so lost the money he paid for it!

Don't know why he had to send the box back, they do not belong to Sky, once installed, it is your property,so you are entitled to sell it.
  • CricketbladeCricketblade Posts: 2,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmm seems my problem is caused by me using the new version of the app on android as that is the only time it happens! If i turn off wifi on my phone and then on again before using the app i have no issue. Sky box is a wired connection. Very odd! bit of a pain as i have wired box up so i can watch sky upstairs, same channel and not in hd, so i'll have to get out of bed to channel a channel if i want! Hopefully the new EPG when lined up with the new version of the app might end this recent issue?
  • simon194simon194 Posts: 1,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Didn't he pay using Paypal because he would have got his money back?
    Don't know why he had to send the box back, they do not belong to Sky, once installed, it is your property,so you are entitled to sell it.
    A box still under contract is different and Sky can ask for the box to be returned. This is from the T&C regarding cancellations after installation:

"If you cancel your Box and Minidish, your Interactive Discount Contract will be cancelled automatically. Sky will be entitled to collect the Box, remote control and/or Minidish from where they were installed and will contact you to arrange collection. Sky reserves the right to charge you our direct collection costs. Sky can offset any collection costs against any money that it owes to you for any reason. Alternatively, if you cancel your Interactive Discount Contract but wish to keep your Box and Minidish, you must pay us our full retail price for this equipment.."

It sort of implied you don't own the box until after the first 12 months or you pay to keep the box.
  • davemurgatroyddavemurgatroyd Posts: 13,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    simon194 wrote: »

A box still under contract is different and Sky can ask for the box to be returned. This is from the T&C regarding cancellations after installation:

"If you cancel your Box and Minidish, your Interactive Discount Contract will be cancelled automatically. Sky will be entitled to collect the Box, remote control and/or Minidish from where they were installed and will contact you to arrange collection. Sky reserves the right to charge you our direct collection costs. Sky can offset any collection costs against any money that it owes to you for any reason. Alternatively, if you cancel your Interactive Discount Contract but wish to keep your Box and Minidish, you must pay us our full retail price for this equipment.."

It sort of implied you don't own the box until after the first 12 months or you pay to keep the box.
    I think you will find that those are the Ts & Cs for cancellation within the cooling off period (1 month?). which is I believe the only period in which Sky repossess any of the equipment.
  • sodafountainsodafountain Posts: 16,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    simon194 wrote: »

As said above my davemurgatroyd, i believe this is the initial install period, after this, they do not want anything back, and will pursue the original purchased through the courts for any fees if they cancel their subscription.

Also, it states they will collect from the install location, so jedi.warrior's mate should have said go get it then, as it wouldn't have been there, they have paid good money for it, and is their property.

The only time a problem might arise if it is stolen, but then you would get the police involved.
  • AmbassadorAmbassador Posts: 22,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What prices should folks be looking at from Ebay?

One of my boxes has died and due to the multiple deals I'm currently on and the fact I'm contracted that Sky understandably won't do a free service call and I've seen boxes under the £75 call fee
  • BatchBatch Posts: 3,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, I just picked up a DRX890 locally for £20 BIN (used). An auction of the same model went for £26.

The DR890w (built in wifi) seems to go for anywhere between £35-£50 + p&p - there may be a bigger price range, I only looked at a few last night.

Not sure on other models, it was for my mum. I seriously doubt she can tell the difference between SD and HD, hence no need for more space!
    ---
    Oh and thanks for the activatemychannels.sky.com link. I had no idea you could do this online now. Result!
  • StueyStuey Posts: 683
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You can change your address online now as well.
  • HeinzHeinz Posts: 7,210
    Forum Member
    Batch wrote: »
    The DR890w (built in wifi) seems to go for anywhere between £35-£50 + p&p - there may be a bigger price range, I only looked at a few last night.
    I got £105.99 + £15.10 p&p for one!
  • BatchBatch Posts: 3,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Heinz wrote: »
    I got £105.99 + £15.10 p&p for one!
    :o .....
  • drabbledrabble Posts: 757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Batch wrote: »
    :o .....

I think we do forget the actual unsubsidised retail price of these boxes sometimes which I think is around £150-£200 for a DRX890W and £250-£300 for a DRX895W from reputable dealers.

Anyway I paid around £70 each for my 2TB DRX895's locally off Gumtree, Sky wanted £149 for the first box at the time.

Other places like Cash Generators have DRX890's from £15 upwards.