Options

The Wire or The Shield

threecheesesthreecheeses Posts: 23,936
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Super quick question
I hear great things about both these shows but as they are both several seasons, looking to only watch 1 for now.

I usually give a series 3 episodes before deciding if it's for me so no point just watching the 1st one/pilot.

Can't say they appeal, Hannibal, GOT, Vikings, Lost, AHS, The Killing, POI, Fringe have probably been my favourite shows of recent years but then I tried Breaking Bad which couldn't be further from my interests and loved it.

So just wanted to see what most prefer out of the 2 on here
Thanks

It's just a 24 hour poll to get opinions.

Which one would you recommend? 24 votes

The Shield
50% 12 votes
The Wire
50% 12 votes

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I preferred The Wire, I found The Shield interesting but less enjoyable.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I voted for the Wire. You've got to give it a go. If you can't get into it then that's fair enough. But it is exceptional. Big fan of the Shield as well. It's about time that got a rerun on UKTV.
  • Options
    BesterBester Posts: 9,698
    Forum Member
    You'll probably find that The Wire wins out here, but personally I preferred The shield.

The Wire is a very forensic view of an investigation, with a slow-burn approach towards the culmination. The Shield otoh is more drama-orientated. Both shows have their strengths and weaknesses - The Shield was probably received better at the time, but The Wire seems to be more fondly remembered in retrospect.

You should probably check out the first episode of The Shield - by the very end of it you'll likely have a very good idea of what to expect from the series - I was hooked.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I voted for the Wire. You've got to give it a go. If you can't get into it then that's fair enough. But it is exceptional. Big fan of the Shield as well. It's about time that got a rerun on UKTV.

I think the divide between the series for me is The Wire is like "this is an imperfect system in an imperfect world full of imperfect people doing what they think is best, even if it is wrong, because things have to be done" while The Shield was more like "nobody is good, everyone is an opportunist, good and evil are relative based on who you target".
  • Options
    Yo Omars CominYo Omars Comin Posts: 1,574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Wire is one of the best shows ever made. I know it gets said a lot, but that's because it really is. Only The Sopranos can better it.

However, reading your post makes me think you would be better off with The Shield. Which is a great series too. Much more action to it, and I imagine you'd think the first three episodes were better than the first three of The Wire. The Shield has some truly great moments, the ending in particular will stay with me forever I think.

If you can, watch both, if not, I'd say go for The Shield because if you want fast paced action then it's the perfect show for that.
  • Options
    cody jarrettcody jarrett Posts: 1,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't bother with The Wire, it'll send you to sleep. The Shield all the way! Michael Chiklis as Det Vic Mackay is the baddest tv cop ever! All the cast are exceptional.
  • Options
    StinkerbellStinkerbell Posts: 270
    Forum Member
    I really don't think you'd be disappointed with either. These are - by far - my top two TV series of all time, whichever one you chose to watch just make sure you get around to the other at some time.
  • Options
    TributeTribute Posts: 820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is a tough choice but I've gone with The Shield. The Wire is best described as a slow burner, and very satisfying because of it. The Shield on the other hand is full of 'holy shit' moments from the very first episode, and is possibly my favourite show of all time. Both are top class though.
  • Options
    plateletplatelet Posts: 26,387
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Wire takes concentration, it's not one to watch whilst doing something else and it can take a while to understand some of the thicker accents / slang. I fell in love with the first episode and have watched the entire thing three times around and will do again. Thing is when I start a re-watch, I know I'm unlikely to watch anything else until I finish.

The Shield never gripped me in the same way. It's good - but take it or leave it for me, and not something I'd go back to.
  • Options
    stu64stu64 Posts: 5,273
    Forum Member
    The Shield for me. Loved every single minute of it and for me personally it never drags, always something going on.

Forest Whitaker also puts in a great performance in one of the seasons.

Also the ending is very very good, not many shows actually pull off a great final show, but this is up their with Breaking Bad for endings.

Overall there are so many great acting performances, no end of scenes that will leave you open mouthed and all in all this sits just slightly behind Breaking Bad and The Sopranos
  • Options
    Sniffle774Sniffle774 Posts: 20,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No wrong choice IMO. Both excellent. If I had to choose one I would say The Wire whilst cursing the OP for making me choose between two great shows :D
  • Options
    bookaddictbookaddict Posts: 2,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Both great, but if I could pick only one, it would be The Wire, no question.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you all so much for your input, fully appreciated.

As it is such a close call and both are clearly loved, reading the responses (and yeah the strong ending and Forest Whitaker part swayed it) I will watch The Shield.

The Wire will be put on hold for the summer/autumn.
  • Options
    Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you make up your mind after 3 episodes, The Wire isn't for you.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you make up your mind after 3 episodes, The Wire isn't for you.

Yet others loved it after 1.

Makes no sense. :confused:
  • Options
    plateletplatelet Posts: 26,387
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you all so much for your input, fully appreciated.

As it is such a close call and both are clearly loved, reading the responses (and yeah the strong ending and Forest Whitaker part swayed it) I will watch The Shield.

The Wire will be put on hold for the summer/autumn.

Just remember to bump the thread when you finally do watch it, will be interesting to see which you yourself would ultimately choose
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    platelet wrote: »
    Just remember to bump the thread when you finally do watch it, will be interesting to see which you yourself would ultimately choose

I certainly will!

Although I might be cursing myself as well for having to make the choice.
  • Options
    Yorkshire.KingYorkshire.King Posts: 1,467
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't bother with The Wire, it'll send you to sleep.

SHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT !

:D

So the verdict......

'The Shield' was just a cop show albeit a great one, but 'The Wire' may have been centred around law and order but it documented so much more.

'The Wire' was overwhelming because it was so believable - there was little reliance on storylines unlikely to be encountered outside a Hollywood script.

'The Shield' depended on all the standard cliches of commercial TV, ridiculous coincidence, comic book style escapades (taking down the 'albanian money train' for example), 'flesh wounds' et al, contrived dramas telling us of law enforcement who are continuously involved in investigating situations where they have a personal stake, ie family & friends are either the victims or the protagonists. Just doesn't happen in the real world - well much less frequent

But the biggest difference between the two was that 'The Shield' presumed there was somewhere, a world free from policking, incompetence & corruption.

On the other hand 'The Wire' operated from the opposite assumption, the one many now see to be reality, it showed that contemporary society is governed by failed institutions, law enforcement, the courts local government & the news media are corrupt, incompetent organisations where things get done after so much politicking, that the original intent of the action, even if started with the best of motives, gets grossly perverted.

The Wire portrayed the destruction of society's institutions well, it showed us how urban communities were destroyed by so called 'economic rationalism' which destroyed once cherished goals of full employment and a fair days pay for a fair day's work, along with the notion of citizens choosing to act out of a duty of public service.

It portrayed that decline so well, now a decade later, the best TV shows don't waste time trying to do the same, the destruction has happened

So for me its

The Wire..........

Incredibly in depth, masterpiece plot, great characters, storylines, humour, violence etc....

Yes the linguistics are a challenge, and sometimes its worth watching an episode twice to fully understand the plot.........(or watch it all, and then rewatch the whole series again)

The Shield was a fantastic show and some unforgettable scenes and episodes but the Wire is just a superior story to watch and experience.
  • Options
    NoEntry2kNoEntry2k Posts: 14,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I liked both The Wire and The Shield, but for me the better programme was The Shield. In fact, I’d go as far as to say The Shield is my favourite programme of all time.

The Wire is very well written, and plays out like a slow burn of a drama. But when I take into account everything - quality of writing, acting, production, general enjoyment… The Shield wins hands down.
  • Options
    EVILSPEAKEVILSPEAK Posts: 980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another vote for The Shield. Right at the end of the first episode something happens that pulls you right in and after that it keeps things motoring along extremely well. And the final episode is one of the best ever, both horrifying and heart-breakingly tragic in equal measure as everybody's world starts to crumble around them rapidly. Performance wise everybody nails it with no weak links and despite Michael Chiklis being born for the role of Vic, for me Walton Goggins just nudges ahead as being the star of the show. Basically it's unmissable and arguably the finest cop series ever produced.
  • Options
    circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    missed the poll but i would vote shield.

loved both shows but shields characters were better and the individual episodes had more excitement to them. some crazy shocks/twists along the way and an awesome series finale give it the edge for me.
  • Options
    NoEntry2kNoEntry2k Posts: 14,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    EVILSPEAK wrote: »
    Basically it's unmissable and arguably the finest cop series ever produced.

I agree, which in itself is sort of weird when you think about it, as the programme is really an anti-cop show which goes against so many things a cop show traditionally was/is (good guys against bad guys, with good guys winning).

You could say the same for The Wire, but not to the extent as The Shield.

(By the way I also missed the poll deadline, so chalk me down as a +1 on that total too).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17
    Forum Member
    pleased to see this thread as i've not before expressed my fervent affection for The Shield. There it is.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17
    Forum Member
    I might add, as it is notably not-what-you'd-want-to-happen, I watched just about every episode but missed the last one, due to an oversight. I have never managed to see it. Intentions of buying the box-set.
  • Options
    WeetibixWeetibix Posts: 1,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My vote is for The Shield.....I found the Wire a little to slow for my liking