Windows 8.1 User

TheVoidTheVoid Posts: 3,086
Forum Member
✭✭✭
So when my PC finished setting up for the first time, I was told to create a user, which I did and had to sign into it, i.e. the MS network - I presume then that everytime I log onto my pc and type in a password, this logs me into some account online somewhere? How do I stop that?!

Comments

• oilmanoilman Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I can't really understand why I have to sign in with my Hotmail password.......I suppose it's because it's Microsoft Windows.......so they want a Microsoft password

Anyway.......I ticked a box somewhere that means it doesn't ask me to sign in now, it just opens straight to Desktop
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    As has been said, you can choose a "local user" log-in which won't force you to link your W8 login to a hotmail/MS account and password.

Must admit, it kind of gave me the heeby-jeebies a bit to use a log-in on my PC that's tied to an email account.
    It's not beyond the realms of possibility that a vulnerability in one could be exploited to create problems in the other; a hack on hotmail allowing people to either access your PC or, perhaps, corrupt a password database somewhere and prevent you from actually logging into your own PC?

Originally I did deliberately set up W8 with a local account for those reasons but in the end I linked it to my MS account purely so I could purchase stuff from the Windows Store (which I, subsequently, haven't really bothered with since) although I've since been told it's not even neccesary to use an MS account to do that.
  • TheVoidTheVoid Posts: 3,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    As has been said, you can choose a "local user" log-in which won't force you to link your W8 login to a hotmail/MS account and password.

Must admit, it kind of gave me the heeby-jeebies a bit to use a log-in on my PC that's tied to an email account.
    It's not beyond the realms of possibility that a vulnerability in one could be exploited to create problems in the other; a hack on hotmail allowing people to either access your PC or, perhaps, corrupt a password database somewhere and prevent you from actually logging into your own PC?

Originally I did deliberately set up W8 with a local account for those reasons but in the end I linked it to my MS account purely so I could purchase stuff from the Windows Store (which I, subsequently, haven't really bothered with since) although I've since been told it's not even neccesary to use an MS account to do that.

How do I do this now though since my computer has been set up with my MS user?
    Forum Member
    TheVoid wrote: »
    How do I do this now though since my computer has been set up with my MS user?

Go to Control Panel > User Accounts. (assuming you're starting from the "normal" windows desktop rather than the Metro screen)
    Click on the option for "Make changes to my account in PC settings"
    You should now be taken into a "Metro" style environment.
    At the top of the screen, next to the sidebar, should be your Log-in name and the email addy it's linked to.
    Under that is the word "Disconnect"
    Simply click the word "Disconnect" and you get a message saying you're going to make your account into a local one that only works on this PC.
    Type in your password and, AFAIK, the account should become a local one.

Must admit, I haven't actually completed this operation. I went the other way, started off with a local account and then linked it to an MS account.
    Since then I've started to use the MS Cloud "Skydrive" so I don't want to complete the disconnect, just to test how it works, in case I lose the files I have on the skydrive.
  • TheVoidTheVoid Posts: 3,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah did that but then realised you can't get apps like facebook and games without having your MS account connected, so have left it. Thanks though.

I did like the look of skydrive, but I don't create important docs anyway.

I did have messenger on the tile view but removed it, but now can't find it anywhere?! I want to make sure I'm not signed into it all the time when I'm on the pc. Do you know?

The facebook app doesn't display any of my content either? I read online you should go to the settings menu within the app and add your username, but there's no settings tab lol
    Forum Member
    Yeah did that but then realised you can't get apps like facebook and games without having your MS account connected, so have left it. Thanks though.

I did have messenger on the tile view but removed it, but now can't find it anywhere?! I want to make sure I'm not signed into it all the time when I'm on the pc. Do you know?

The facebook app doesn't display any of my content either? I read online you should go to the settings menu within the app and add your username, but there's no settings tab lol

I wouldn't even attempt to give you advice about the Metro interface.
    After setting up my PC I immediately installed Classic Shell and I've only looked at the Metro interface half a dozen times since, despite continually threatening to make use of it. :blush:

About the only thing I'd mention is that there's the "down arrow" at the bottom of the Metro screen which, if you click it, should take you to a page of Metro app's which can be added to the Metro screen so your Messenger app should be there somewhere, if it's a native Metro app'.

If the Messenger software isn't a Metro app', you can still go into your normal desktop and then right-click a program and click "pin to start" and it'll create an icon for that program on the Metro screen so maybe that's what you need to do with Messenger? :confused:
  • call100call100 Posts: 7,278
    Forum Member

You don't have to be permanently connected to get apps from the store, you have the choice of logging in and out to make purchases etc.
    You don't need to be connected permanently to use Skydrive, you can log into it via your browser and use it that way.
    Can't answer your FB question as I don't use it..(So Yesterday..;-))
  • cmorriscmorris Posts: 6,157
    Forum Member
    If you install Classic Shell like I did them it wouldn't make a difference
  • call100call100 Posts: 7,278
    Forum Member
    cmorris wrote: »
    If you install Classic Shell like I did them it wouldn't make a difference

:confused::confused::confused: