Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I met her once and she was lovely.
  • 80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TreyC wrote: »

Were you buying her cosmetics range at the time?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Any more news about our Lulu?
  • Dancing GirlDancing Girl Posts: 8,209
    Forum Member
    TreyC wrote: »

Nice to hear that. So often we hear quite the opposite with celebs, Cilla Black for example!:D
  • jake_moore08jake_moore08 Posts: 256
    Forum Member
    I find her quite annoying and egotistical on chat shows, but do like a few of her songs, I think she has a good voice.

My favourite is her 2000 hit 'Where The Poor Boys Dance', which peaked at no.24 in the charts:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CClWyUvzai8

She also gave a good performance of 'Try A Little Tenderness' here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQ-A6kDGPGU
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I find her quite annoying and egotistical on chat shows, but do like a few of her songs, I think she has a good voice.

My favourite is her 2000 hit 'Where The Poor Boys Dance', which peaked at no.24 in the charts:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CClWyUvzai8

She also gave a good performance of 'Try A Little Tenderness' here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQ-A6kDGPGU

For me Lulu's best song is 'The Man Who Sold The World' :)
  • mal2poolmal2pool Posts: 5,690
    Forum Member
    80sfan wrote: »
    Lulu goes all disco in 1978:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9VnrDKkzns

Hair - John Frieda
    Bow tie - 10p a week for 24 weeks - Freemans Catalogue

:D
    my favourite Lulu song. Cant get this on any CD. I loved what she did around this time best.
    I Could Never miss you more, Working nights now, I love to boogie, If I were you, Dont take Love for Granted. All from 78-84. Wish they were all on CD
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mal2pool wrote: »
    my favourite Lulu song. Cant get this on any CD. I loved what she did around this time best.

I think it's a great song too! :D

I had never heard of it before seeing Lulu sing it on the Top Of The Pops 1978 repeats early on BBC4 last year. It's such a catchy, camp song! I recall Peter Powell getting very excited about having 'the beautiful Lulu' on the show!!

I suppose as it sadly flopped in the charts it's long been forgotten, so no CD release
  • Pop PrincessPop Princess Posts: 2,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I met Lulu once, she was quite nice actually. :p Never met Cilla thankfully judging by these threads :p

Lulu left Glasgow at 14 and never moved back. As a Glaswegian, I always felt the fact she didn't sound 100% Scottish quite realistic. She was always in England or America after 14 and hasn't lived up here for 40 odd years.

Some foreign footballers have come to Celtic and Rangers and within a year sound more Glaswegian than the players born here!

Always felt Lulu was a bit hard done by on that accent point and based on Youtube, she could sing well live I thought - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUuV3ybvkpc

Better than "our Cilla" anyway IMO, who always sounded nasally and shouty to me?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Lulu left Glasgow at 14 and never moved back. As a Glaswegian, I always felt the fact she didn't sound 100% Scottish quite realistic. She was always in England or America after 14 and hasn't lived up here for 40 odd years.

I think that's why it's even more embarrassing when Lulu decides to put on her 'Scottish' accent when she feels like it
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was just watching Vintage TV when up pops Lulu in an ad for a music charity's fundraising. I hadn't seen or heard this promo before.

Clearly Lulu doesn't know if she should sound more Scottish or American; she uses a bizarre mix of both. Not looking her best either, if I'm honest!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just watching BBC3's show 'Don't Drop The Baby' where one of the dads expressed his horror at a midwife asking him to 'stick his finger in another woman's lulu' :o:D

<it was plastic and not a real woman of course!>

I've never heard 'it' referred to as that before though lol ;-)
  • deedee1962deedee1962 Posts: 3,137
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I met Lulu once, she was quite nice actually. :pNever met Cilla thankfully judging by these threads :p

Some foreign footballers have come to Celtic and Rangers and within a year sound more Glaswegian than the players born here!

Always felt Lulu was a bit hard done by on that accent point and based on Youtube, she could sing well live I thought - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUuV3ybvkpc

Better than "our Cilla" anyway IMO, who always sounded nasally and shouty to me?

I have met Cilla twice and she was lovely too. :):p spent a lot longer talking to me than she had to.:)
  • Nesta RobbinsNesta Robbins Posts: 30,780
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lulu's has to be the most frustrating biography I've ever read! I kept waiting.... and waiting...... and waiting for a revelation of some kind - ANY revelation, but nothing! She was alleged to have had a fling with Jason Orange back in the day when she sung Re-light my Fire with Take That and why not? Jason was and still is gorgeous. Alas, I wonder if it was just wishful thinking on Lulu's part?
  • Sweaty Job RotSweaty Job Rot Posts: 2,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just watching BBC3's show 'Don't Drop The Baby' where one of the dads expressed his horror at a midwife asking him to 'stick his finger in another woman's lulu' :o:D

<it was plastic and not a real woman of course!>

I've never heard 'it' referred to as that before though lol ;-)

I have heard the original Lulu was allegedly known as the Glasgow bike.😃
  • mr mugglesmr muggles Posts: 4,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For me Lulu's best song is 'The Man Who Sold The World' :)

THIS. Preferred it to Bowies!

She actually has a good voice, Bobby Womack wouldn't have duetted with someone who cant sing!

I think she comes across more as a frustrated woman musically. She wanted some of Dustys mystique, but it never quite happened, due to mostly poor material she was given. Thats the trouble if you dont write you own material and pick crap songs!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mr muggles wrote: »
    THIS. Preferred it to Bowies!!

The song seems to suit Lulu and her voice more than Bowie and his voice :)
  • dd68dd68 Posts: 17,837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Surely it's time for a 'Cilla' style show about Lulu?
  • China GirlChina Girl Posts: 2,755
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The song seems to suit Lulu and her voice more than Bowie and his voice :)

:o faint !!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dd68 wrote: »
    Surely it's time for a 'Cilla' style show about Lulu?

Sponsored by Freemans Catalogue of course!! :D
    Forum Member
    mr muggles wrote: »
    THIS. Preferred it to Bowies!

She actually has a good voice, Bobby Womack wouldn't have duetted with someone who cant sing!

I think she comes across more as a frustrated woman musically. She wanted some of Dustys mystique, but it never quite happened, due to mostly poor material she was given. Thats the trouble if you dont write you own material and pick crap songs!

That's true. I remember reading that she wished she had had some of the ''Super songs'' Cilla Black was given, and she has said quite a few times in the papers and on TV that she was not proud of songs like ''I'm A Tiger'' and ''Boom Bang-A Bang'' in the 1960s.

Still... in 1986, she was still far away from Cilla's ''Super'' songs. Here's her 1986 single:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofuOMJWUnDs

and in 1990 ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XO58T2Jak20

She must have been delighted when she finally gained some respect with the 'Independence' single, and 'Relight My Fire' with Take That.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Still... in 1986, she was still far away from Cilla's ''Super'' songs. Here's her 1986 single:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofuOMJWUnDs.

That is just awful! Whatever was she thinking? :o

I remember she re-released 'Shout' in the summer of 1986 too for some reason
  • daziechaindaziechain Posts: 12,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jennifer Saunders worked with her a lot in Ab Fab and is full of praise for her in her autobiography (Bonkers) Apparently they accidentally shot her .. that is .. she had blood charges on her to simulate being shot (for singing Shout too often :D) and one of them imploded leaving her with a deep hole in her arm (which bled profusely and needed hospital treatment.) She said Lulu was brilliant about it.
  • Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    daziechain wrote: »
    Jennifer Saunders worked with her a lot in Ab Fab and is full of praise for her in her autobiography (Bonkers) Apparently they accidentally shot her .. that is .. she had blood charges on her to simulate being shot (for singing Shout too often :D) and one of them imploded leaving her with a deep hole in her arm (which bled profusely and needed hospital treatment.) She said Lulu was brilliant about it.

I bet she really did 'shout' then!
    Forum Member
    That is just awful! Whatever was she thinking? :o

I remember she re-released 'Shout' in the summer of 1986 too for some reason

Desperation? :D To be fair, I know she was reduced to cabaret and pantomime at the time, so any chance of a hit single would have been welcome I guess.