Options

ponseitta and cats..

MissjefMissjef Posts: 2,375
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Is it true that these are poisonous to cats?
i've just bought one from asda and my mum's just warned me that she thinks that she's heard that they are dangerous to cats.
They haven't been interested in it at all since getting it the other day, but i'd hate to think that they would end up ill because of a plant in the house, we don't have any other plants but just thought it would be nice to get one for christmas.

Comments

• Options
    LippincoteLippincote Posts: 7,132
    Forum Member
    Every article I've seen suggests poinsettias are not a particular problem for cats. But if you're worried it might be best to put the plant somewhere they can't reach it.

E.g. see here
    http://www.landsteward.org/page.cfm/21187
  • Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They are poisonous to dogs and humans so I would imagine cats would have a problem with them too. We had one two years ago (unwanted gift really) and kept it well away from our dogs, but that would be harder with a cat.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The above link, and others I read, indicated it is an urban myth. Poinsettias are not meant to be eaten of course, but an animal would have to eat an awful lot of it for there to be a problem. A cat is unlikely to do anything more than take a nibble on a houseplant (dogs being dogs, they may be more likely to eat a large amount?)

Many types of greenery will make cats vomit, including grass, but not necessarily because it's toxic, just because cats are designed as vomitaceous creatures.

(I don't like poinsettias though so it's a good excuse not to have them in the house:D)
  • Options
    wildpumpkinwildpumpkin Posts: 1,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My aunt's cat was below par for quite a few weeks following Christmas last year and the vet did numerous tests but really couldn't find out what was wrong. When they brought him back after a being at the vets for these tests. The vetinary nurse saw the poisietta on the table and asked if he ever went near it, to which my aunt sai, 'well he brushes past it on his way out through the window'.

The vet nurse said that it was possible that him not being really well was a form of 'poisoning' due to him licking his fur after he had brushed passed the plant. She advised to move it so that the cat did not have to pass it. He recovered with so after effects at all.
  • Options
    SuperSpursSuperSpurs Posts: 2,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd rather not take the chance to be honest, I have heard they are toxic to cats. Mine do love to eat /play with flowers though so I guess if yours aren't bothered it should be ok :confused:

I also don't allow lillies in the house, is this a "myth" too?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.moggies.co.uk/plants.html

this is a list of toxic plants to cats
  • Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lippincote wrote: »
    The above link, and others I read, indicated it is an urban myth. Poinsettias are not meant to be eaten of course, but an animal would have to eat an awful lot of it for there to be a problem. A cat is unlikely to do anything more than take a nibble on a houseplant (dogs being dogs, they may be more likely to eat a large amount?)

Many types of greenery will make cats vomit, including grass, but not necessarily because it's toxic, just because cats are designed as vomitaceous creatures.

(I don't like poinsettias though so it's a good excuse not to have them in the house:D)

Just brushing past them brings dogs out in rashes and can make them vomit - so just a nibble could be quite bad !
  • Options
    Forum Member
    SuperSpurs wrote: »
    I'd rather not take the chance to be honest, I have heard they are toxic to cats. Mine do love to eat /play with flowers though so I guess if yours aren't bothered it should be ok :confused:

I also don't allow lillies in the house, is this a "myth" too?

No, isn't - lilies, including the pollen, are extremely toxic to them. They don't have to eat the plant, they just have to brush past it, get the pollen on their fur and then wash it off. There was a case of a Siamese cat dying a horrible death that way a few years ago, see here:
    http://www.cats-inverurie.co.uk/News/May05/lily.htm

If anyone buys me lilies I always snip off the pollen stamens when they open, and I don't grow any myself. Of course I can't do anything about my neighbours who grow them though.

If you look at the list of plants which are supposed to be toxic to them, in theory no cat should ever survive its first year. Fortunately most cats seem to have good instincts and ignore them.

The case of lily pollen is quite different, they can easily get lily pollen on their fur accidentally.:(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Snap Lippincote ~ I do exactly the same with lillies! Cut the stamens off as soon the lilly opens, not only in case of contact with pets, but also the pollen stains anything it comes into contact with. And I won't have them in my garden nor do I buy them myself because I find the smell very sickly. But my mother grows lillies in her garden & in the season I ask her to cut any stamens off before I take the dogs in her garden.