Costa coffee loyalty cards

Gregg-Pieman9Gregg-Pieman9 Posts: 32,195
Forum Member
✭✭✭
How do they actually work as I'm a bit confused, as on my balance is says i have 850 costa points to spend. I think that means I have £8-50 worth of coffee to spend. I also thought you just keep swiping your card at till, until you have enough points on it to gain a free 1.

Comments

• FanielleFanielle Posts: 1,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ask them if you can pay by points. That's what I do
  • mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,989
    Forum Member
    Exactly what Fanielle said :)

At the moment I only have £1.40 worth of points. I don't go into Costa very often.
  • Nesta RobbinsNesta Robbins Posts: 30,799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I must remember to ask! I've been handing the card over for years and unlike Neros where you can see you have enough for a free coffee, they never say anything! Probably got enough for a coffee maker by now! :D
  • Gregg-Pieman9Gregg-Pieman9 Posts: 32,195
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I must remember to ask! I've been handing the card over for years and unlike Neros where you can see you have enough for a free coffee, they never say anything! Probably got enough for a coffee maker by now! :D

Thats how I thought it works, by handing over your card then eventually they say you've enough for a free 1. Had a free 1 about a year ago now
  • davadsdavads Posts: 8,640
    Forum Member
    The thing that bugs me about Costa is that their receipts are so huge...first world problems I know :)
  • venusinflaresvenusinflares Posts: 4,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've got 325 points which gives me £3.25 to spend. I'll have to remember to spend it, they never ask you if you want to pay with points.
  • miss_astridmiss_astrid Posts: 1,808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sometimes the person swiping your card will say 'you have enough points. Do you want to pay for that with points?' in my experience. But generally you have to ask if you have enough points to pay for it with points. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 386
    Forum Member
    Ask them, there isnt like a special language just ask.
  • valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't have to ask, they usually ask me, do you want a free coffee with your points.?
  • James_MayJames_May Posts: 606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Download the app, then you can check how much credit you have to spend with your card.

I have £25 on mine and I always get asked whether I want to use the points. However, I save them for a rainy day. When I was a student I was skint and those Costa points came in very handy.
  • Nesta RobbinsNesta Robbins Posts: 30,799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thats how I thought it works, by handing over your card then eventually they say you've enough for a free 1. Had a free 1 about a year ago now
    They don't believe in giving much away, do they?! Like you, it'd been ages since I last got a freebe, so curious about the windfall I must be due, I handed over my card today - only to be told I had accumulated the dizzy sum of one pound and 15 pence! :o I had to sit down with the shock! :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They don't believe in giving much away, do they?! Like you, it'd been ages since I last got a freebe, so curious about the windfall I must be due, I handed over my card today - only to be told I had accumulated the dizzy sum of one pound and 15 pence! :o I had to sit down with the shock! :p

;-);-)
  • gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I bought some Mellow Birds the other day. Can't beat it
  • MinnieMinzMinnieMinz Posts: 4,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I switched to Costa from Starbucks about 5yrs ago, and I've got about £22 in free coffees. So what I used to do (without sounding like I'm blowing smoke up my own arse) was if I had time and I've seen someone homeless begging outside nearby I'd give it to them. But about 6mths after I started doing this the bloke I usually gave it to was in our local paper exposed as driving a bmw and living in a 5 bed house he was a professional begger. So now I just save the points and treat one of my mates when we go for coffee.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been to my local costa and enquired about my card balance and got a free one
  • PuckyPucky Posts: 4,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've always been asked if I would like to use my points to buy a coffee.
  • hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You really have all ready paid for your free coffee with there prices. Such a nasty coffee chain like Starbucks with horrible coffee anyway.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just checked my balance it says I've earned £7.90 this year, and I have 595 points to spend, so whats difference between 7-90 an 595
  • FanielleFanielle Posts: 1,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You've spent 195 points. Which is £1.95. Which would be te free one you got on 15th April
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fanielle wrote: »
    You've spent 195 points. Which is £1.95. Which would be te free one you got on 15th April

Thanks you ;-)
  • Under SoulUnder Soul Posts: 2,989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The loyalty card is known to be one of the stingiest around - you have to buy 22 lattes (small size) to get a free one. Compare that to Nero where you have to buy 9 lattes to get one free (and the free drink can be anything you like including the expensive Caramelatte or White Chocolate latte).

That said Costa is cheaper than Nero - Nero's medium is the same size as Costa's small and their large is Costa's medium. Can anyone manage a Costa's Massimo? :o
  • NorwoodCemeteryNorwoodCemetery Posts: 1,653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Slightly off-topic, but Pret a Manger are doing away with loyalty cards and letting their staff give away free coffees at their discretion. Not sure if there is a limit but staff can give a free coffee to regular customers, customers they like or even customers they fancy...

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/pret-a-manger-staff-give-free-coffee-to-their-favourite-customers-sandwich-chain-boss-reveals-10191611.html

It might explain why the female barrista charges me double...
  • Under SoulUnder Soul Posts: 2,989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Slightly off-topic, but Pret a Manger are doing away with loyalty cards and letting their staff give away free coffees at their discretion. Not sure if there is a limit but staff can give a free coffee to regular customers, customers they like or even customers they fancy...

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/pret-a-manger-staff-give-free-coffee-to-their-favourite-customers-sandwich-chain-boss-reveals-10191611.html

It might explain why the female barrista charges me double...

Hmmm, a bit sleazy for staff to hand out free coffees to those they fancy. I find Pret staff annoyingly friendly and they are so hyperactive - it's like they're on drugs.
  • farmer bobfarmer bob Posts: 27,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I buy Costa's ground coffee from the supermarket, usually around £3 for a decent sized packet. Lasts weeks :-)
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have not been in our costa for over 12 months now, I prefer Neros for a national chain, but I do try and support more local companies. Even the one i gfo to have some sort of loyalty card, but I have not bothered with it.
    I did have a Nero one once, but I do not go in there as often as I did, so no point in having one now.