Least favourite heavy metal thing

Comments

• ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
    barbeler wrote: »
    I don't know whether to laugh or cry at any band that uses mysogenistic imagery or has lyrics about either, satan, black magic, sourcery, Valhalla, etc. For god's sake huys, you're grown up adults, not silly little, 14-year-old boys with 666 written on the back of your denim jackets in marker pen.
    So that makes Iron Maiden as pathetic as the rest of them.

The only bands worse than the above are Christian heavy metal bands - truly beyond redemption.

I don't see anything wrong with Scandanavian bands singing about Norse mythology. After all, it's part of their heritage. Anyone else though, yes, it's rather silly.
  • mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,456
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Electra wrote: »
    No, I didn't:o I thought you were one of those 'If it doesn't make your ears bleed, it aint metal' types. :D

I'd still argue that those genres are definitely metal though :)

No, I'm not one of those. My fav metal band is Anvil but I like the symphonic metal stuff even if I'm a bit old for it. Within Temptation, Epica, Therion rather than Nightwish for what it's worth.

I see someone else mentioned the satanic thing...
    Forum Member
    mgvsmith wrote: »
    No, I'm not one of those. My fav metal band is Anvil but I like the symphonic metal stuff even if I'm a bit old for it. Within Temptation, Epica, Therion rather than Nightwish for what it's worth.

I see someone else mentioned the satanic thing...

How can you be too old? I'm probably older than you anyway. I don't like this idea that once you get to a certain age, especially if female, then you should just stay at home & listen to MOR. Just like what you like :)

I'm not familiar with Anvil (must check them out) but the others are great bands :)

ETA Listening to Anvil - Mothra now. Me like :cool:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67wwn7TFr_g
  • Sharon87Sharon87 Posts: 3,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Satanic references in metal I don't like, well mostly. I still like iron maiden. I also like a tune in a song with singing not just constant screaming, a bit of screaming is fine but not more than say 25% or more of the song.

And btw def leppard is awesome even with its use of the word 'rocked'
  • dodger0703dodger0703 Posts: 1,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i dont care wahat bands sing about as long as its not that they are 'Rock all night' or 'Rocking til they dropping aint never gonna be stopping'

As i said in a different thread i am not bothered what genre a song or band are from, if it brings out an emotion in me that i will like it, regardless whether its cool or not
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How can you be too old? I'm probably older than you anyway. I don't like this idea that once you get to a certain age, especially if female, then you should just stay at home & listen to MOR. Just like what you like :)

I'm not familiar with Anvil (must check them out) but the others are great bands :)

ETA Listening to Anvil - Mothra now. Me like :cool:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67wwn7TFr_g

Anvil - Metal on Metal, very influential album...they're about the same age as me!
    Forum Member
    Anvil - Metal on Metal, very influential album...they're about the same age as me!

I just looked on their Wiki page. Active since 1978 - how come I'd never heard of them? :eek: :o I guess they must be in their mid/late 50s now.

I'd assumed you were younger :)

Ah - just discovered why I'd not heard of them. Quite poignant. :(

http://www.newyorker.com/arts/critics/cinema/2009/04/20/090420crci_cinema_lane

http://www.anvilthestoryofanvil.com/
  • gold2040gold2040 Posts: 3,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Iron Maiden. I cant stand them.
    Forever alone my friend... forever alone
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gold2040 wrote: »
    Forever alone my friend... forever alone
    Not...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not...

Must admit i can only listen to Maiden albums up until Somewhere in Time, after that it is just the odd song i like
  • Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Particularly as that song uses "rocked" as a very heavy-handed euphemism for "f***ed". The "I s'pose a rock's out of the question?" line was sub-Carry On innuendo.

But that refers back to the origin of the phrase "Rock & Roll", which was precisely that, a euphemism for sex in what was termed at the time "negro music".

The blues, especially, is littered with such euphemisms.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't know whether to laugh or cry at any band that uses mysogenistic imagery or has lyrics about either, satan, black magic, sourcery, Valhalla, etc. For god's sake huys, you're grown up adults, not silly little, 14-year-old boys with 666 written on the back of your denim jackets in marker pen.
    So that makes Iron Maiden as pathetic as the rest of them.

The only bands worse than the above are Christian heavy metal bands - truly beyond redemption.

But then what is the difference between a band using such lyrics and a religious person? The only difference being is that the religious person is very likely to believe what they are saying, whereas a Bleck Metal band would be very much tongue in cheek. Venom have been mentioned on here and when they were interviewed about their lyrics they said they were intended deliberately to provoke, they certainly didn't believe any of it!

It is the same with Iron Maiden, songs like Bring Your Daughter, Number Of The beast, and Fear Of The Dark, are a nod to the Hammer horror films they grew up with on TV, as I did, and nothing to to with Devil worship. Run To The Hills is in the same vein, it is a tongue-in-cheek reference to cowboy & Indian films.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just looked on their Wiki page. Active since 1978 - how come I'd never heard of them? :eek: :o I guess they must be in their mid/late 50s now.

I would highly recommend The Story Of Anvil, it is brilliant and very heart-warming. As for the band themselves, I grew up with them and saw them @ reading in @ '83!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know the difference but what I was getting at is that Symphonic Metal for example is actually more 'Rock' than the symphonic work of prog bands like Yes, Genesis ELP etc. which were actually generally less rock more symphony.

The generic term is Symphonic Metal, but the lines are very, very, blurred. Symphonic metal drives its influences from classical music rather than the traditional sources of Metal.

An example of some of the Symphonic stuff I like....

Pythia - The Circle
    Katatonia - Dead Letters
    Within Temptation - Angels
    Delain - The Gathering
    Lunatica - Song For You
    Winter In Eden - Torment
    Paatos - Hypnotique
    Markize - Mechanical Hearts
    Amberian Dawn - Arctica
    Serenity - The Chevalier
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wikipedia has a great page on Sub-Genres of Metal, never heard of most of them myself, i just normally say rock or metal, but one that caught my eye 'Cello Metal' as a big fan of Apocalyptica i didnt know they were now part of a genre
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68
    Forum Member

With the exception of Theocracy - they are an excellent Christian Metal band and not too preachy either which is a big plus.. I'm not religious at all but I could listen to this band all day.

I Am

Laying The Demon To Rest

On Eagles Wings

Mirror of Souls

Mirror is Souls is one of my favourite songs of all time, a real epic..
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With the exception of Theocracy - they are an excellent Christian Metal band and not too preachy either which is a big plus.. I'm not religious at all but I could listen to this band all day.

I Am

Laying The Demon To Rest

On Eagles Wings

Mirror of Souls

Mirror is Souls is one of my favourite songs of all time, a real epic..

Do you remember [URL="[url=http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-ZXZDjVRI4tk/T_EUXOaEo-I/AAAAAAAAAds/NMQVdseWrVw/s1600/stryper-club-nokia.jpeg]Stryper[/url]"][/url]Stryper
    Forum Member
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68
    Forum Member
    dodger0703 wrote: »

I've never heard any of their songs but I remember a friend telling me about them a few years ago. He thought it was amusing how even though they were a Christian band they used to have photoshoots with guns and tanks and such.. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've never heard any of their songs but I remember a friend telling me about them a few years ago. He thought it was amusing how even though they were a Christian band they used to have photoshoots with guns and tanks and such.. :D

IMO they wanted to be like Poison, Bon Jovi etc but didn't have the songs and tried to cash in on the christian scene, but i may be just a cynical old fool!
    Forum Member
    Work that bumblebee fashion. :cool:

Maybe he got them confused with W.A.S.P.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Good, I introduced the movie at the local art house cinema and contacted Lips beforehand, he was very friendly.

Without Anvil you may not have had Slayer, Megadeth etc.
    They deserve respect even if they indulge in a bit of the satanist nonsense too!

I have picked up on a lot more from this thread on symphonic metal. It was actually my daughter who introduced me to this music, that's why I know it but I introduced her to Anvil, Slayer, Metallica etc. and like a few others here, I'm not an Iron Maiden fan, sorry.
    Forum Member
    I would highly recommend The Story Of Anvil, it is brilliant and very heart-warming. As for the band themselves, I grew up with them and saw them @ reading in @ '83!
    Well, you're another one who appears to be way older than I'd thought. I'd assumed I was a lot older than everyone else on here. It seems not :)
    Good, I introduced the movie at the local art house cinema and contacted Lips beforehand, he was very friendly.

Without Anvil you may not have had Slayer, Megadeth etc.
    They deserve respect even if they indulge in a bit of the satanist nonsense too!

I have picked up on a lot more from this thread on symphonic metal. It was actually my daughter who introduced me to this music, that's why I know it but I introduced her to Anvil, Slayer, Metallica etc. and like a few others here, I'm not an Iron Maiden fan, sorry.
    I've also picked up more on Symphonic from the metal threads here. I've never been a metalhead - just liked the odd bit here & there a long time ago. (Sabbath, Priest, Motorhead etc) Then the occasional song in the 80s. Art Rock & Punk was always my thing.My daughter introduced me to Folk & then Power within the past few months & I've been converted. Hurrah!

Never really got to grips with Thrash I'm afraid. Some Metallica but that's about it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've also picked up more on Symphonic from the metal threads here. I've never been a metalhead - just liked the odd bit here & there a long time ago. (Sabbath, Priest, Motorhead etc) Then the occasional song in the 80s. Art Rock & Punk was always my thing.My daughter introduced me to Folk & then Power within the past few months & I've been converted. Hurrah!

Never really got to grips with Thrash I'm afraid. Some Metallica but that's about it.

Good to hear I'm not the only oldie. And yes to art rock and punk (and Led Zepp) but I listen to so many different types of music it's ridiculous.

In relation to Trash, Slayer's 'Reign in Blood' is worth a listen. Metal never really went away but there is something of a renaissance with System of a Down, Slipknot, Korn, Limp Bizkit(!?), Devin Townsend but all this sub genre nonsense has prevented a real mainstream crossover, as yet. It bugs me that the kids don't think that matters but it does.