Options

25 Years of Super Mario

NostalgicNostalgic Posts: 7,199
Forum Member
As you may have heard, it is 25 years to the day since Super Mario Bros. was first released.

A quater of a century later and he's still going strong. Let us celebrate the iconic video game character that is Super Mario :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzkkgK_zQHI

Comments

• Options
    monkeydave68monkeydave68 Posts: 2,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    same old crap re-hashed for every new machine horray
  • Options
    SoundburstSoundburst Posts: 13,195
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The greatest gaming franchise of all time.

So many great moments.

Mario Bros. . Super Mario World. . Mario 64 (revolutionizing 3D gaming). . .Mario Galaxy. . .New Super Mario Bros.

Stunning.

Certainly not rehashing :rolleyes:

The only one I refuse to acknowledge as being good is Super Mario Sunshine. Horrendous game with a gimmick as it's main mechanic - very unlike Nintendo.

Other than that - the Mario Franchise. . .along with Zelda are the greatest games ever in the world. :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Long live Mario and for long may this great franchise continue.
  • Options
    ScrubberScrubber Posts: 4,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Galaxy Series has killed it for me.

As the Mario series went on it got better and better.

The first 3 side scrollers were ace, Super Mario World is an incredible game, Mario 64 was amazing at the time, then came Super Mario Sunshine which to me is gaming perfection... everything is perfect about that game.

Then along came the wii and galaxy and ruined everything.
  • Options
    Jon79Jon79 Posts: 1,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A series that has gotten better overtime. It's great to see gameplay and innovation overcome gfx in this day and age..
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do think that the series will come full circle once we get Mario in HD.
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Doing well, Super Mario's one of my favourite games. Hope it lats for many more years :) It truly is a classic :D
  • Options
    SegaGodSegaGod Posts: 1,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Best series of all time. SMB3 is still the best one for its time IMO. The game was 8 bit perfection
  • Options
    tysonstormtysonstorm Posts: 24,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was never a major fan of Mario but still spent many a time playing it and there's no denying that the SMB series shaped gaming to what we have today.

Damn I miss the 80's and early 90's. :(
  • Options
    Ricky D GervaisRicky D Gervais Posts: 2,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hasn't been particularly enjoyable since the move to 3D IMO, Galaxy being especially unimpressive thanks to the horrible Wiimote. But the titles from NES to SNES are classic, and still good fun to play.
  • Options
    2dshmuplover2dshmuplover Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    The most iconic videogame series ever. No other series has evolved like Mario, and I don't think there's a Mario game I don't love. Super Mario 3 is probably my favourite 2D game (Yoshi's Island coming close 2nd), but Galaxy 2 has actually become my all time favourite game, it's just perfect in every way! :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hasn't been particularly enjoyable since the move to 3D IMO

For real? 64, Sunshine and both the Galaxy's are all stone-wall classics.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't hate them or anything I just find them tiresome quite quickly. People seem to think of Sonic being about speed and Mario more about real platforming, but I found the classic Marios to have a good bit of pace about them too (at least when I was playing), which for the most part just isn't as present in the 3D versions. And having to use the Wiimote for the Galaxy games is just heartbreaking, unnecessary motion controls are part for the course for that system, but it's just all the more galling in a classic series like this.
  • Options
    ScrubberScrubber Posts: 4,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't hate them or anything I just find them tiresome quite quickly. People seem to think of Sonic being about speed and Mario more about real platforming, but I found the classic Marios to have a good bit of pace about them too (at least when I was playing), which for the most part just isn't as present in the 3D versions. And having to use the Wiimote for the Galaxy games is just heartbreaking, unnecessary motion controls are part for the course for that system, but it's just all the more galling in a classic series like this.

The Wii and it's motion controls have ruined a lot of old game franchises for me.

NES>SNES>N64>GC - all got better with age graphics and gameplay wise and were at the top of their generations, then along came the wii... the graphics haven't improved one bit since the GC and the motion makes the gameplay crap too... what's left.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    SegaGod wrote: »
    Best series of all time. SMB3 is still the best one for its time IMO. The game was 8 bit perfection

I love that game. Only trouble is I often fall in the hole while playing :( Still good fun though :D
  • Options
    monkeydave68monkeydave68 Posts: 2,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    manic miner > mario
  • Options
    mattshentonmattshenton Posts: 2,812
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Super Mario Bros is one of the best games ever made.

Mario 2 was one of the worst ever made.

Mario 3 made mario fun again.

But i think the series has been well handled who could forget the first time they played super mario world on the snes..........The best game ever made for me.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Loved Mario as a kid me and my best many spent literally hundreds of hours playing Super Mario World on Snes. Don't think much of it now my bex had Mario Kart and Mario Galaxy on Wii so I had a few goes but to me personally they didn't have that Mario feel to them. Last Mario I enjoyed was Mario 64 but the NES/Snes ones will always be the best imo.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Loved Mario as a kid me and my best many spent literally hundreds of hours playing Super Mario World on Snes. Don't think much of it now my bex had Mario Kart and Mario Galaxy on Wii so I had a few goes but to me personally they didn't have that Mario feel to them. Last Mario I enjoyed was Mario 64 but the NES/Snes ones will always be the best imo.

That's what I often say. The classics are often the best. I;ve played Mario Kart, it's not a bad game, but I don't think the newer ones are really great. Mario doesn't look right in 3D imo, it needs the 2D graphics really. But I still like them :)
  • Options
    mountymounty Posts: 19,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mario 64 was awesome fun
  • Options
    JoooeJoooe Posts: 8,662
    Forum Member
    Mario games are still better than most other games out there, even now.

Mario Galaxy is only bettered by Super Mario World.
  • Options
    Charcole911Charcole911 Posts: 6,353
    Forum Member
    Super Mario Bros is one of the best games ever made.

Mario 2 was one of the worst ever made.

Mario 3 made mario fun again.

But i think the series has been well handled who could forget the first time they played super mario world on the snes..........The best game ever made for me.

Why so?

I think the next thing for mario will be 3D. I know its already 3D within the TV lol, but I mean 3D where you wear glasses and things pop out the screen at you.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mario 2 was so bad because it wasn't really Mario, it was another game that was redesigned for western audiences because Nintendo of America thought the real Mario 2 (which later was released as "The Lost Levels") was too hard.
  • Options
    pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is how I'd score the platform games in the series...

Super Mario Bros. 1 - 8/10
    Super Mario Bros. 2 - 7/10
    Super Mario Bros. 3 - 10/10
    Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels - 8/10
    Super Mario World - 10/10
    Super Mario World 2 - 9/10
    Super Mario 64 - 10/10
    Super Mario Sunshine - 9/10
    Super Mario Galaxy - 8/10
    Super Mario Galaxy 2 - 9/10
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,207