Options

Competency Based Interview

2»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I got a job off the back of a competency based interview. you have to follow the STAR basis of answering.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah damn just realised, sorry to hear about the job.
  • Options
    chris2k2chris2k2 Posts: 9,886
    Forum Member
    Plenty more jobs out there, that is what I have been saying to myself.

It was ideal location really, 8 mins on the train and only about 5 mins anyways for me to get to required local station. Before I attended I advised them that I didn't have some of the skills commercially, but they said it won't be an issue as in this instance training would be provided.

I have just applied for a similar position which is in my Town Centre and literally only about a 4 mins walk away, but these are saying some experience is required - but going to see what they say and do etc.

Only concern I have is that they have advertised this one on the JCP computers which my adviser has posted to me after I already applied, and they've advertised in the local newspaper as well so possibly going to be alot of interest.

It does seem to be picking up this year though so hopefully it shouldn't be too long.
  • Options
    Terry WigonTerry Wigon Posts: 6,831
    Forum Member
    Sorry to hear about your news OP. This website sometimes has some good jobs and I have searched your area for results. There may not be anything suitable at the mo, but keep checking as these things do change.
  • Options
    MonkeylalalaMonkeylalala Posts: 915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chris2k2 wrote: »
    Plenty more jobs out there, that is what I have been saying to myself.

It was ideal location really, 8 mins on the train and only about 5 mins anyways for me to get to required local station. Before I attended I advised them that I didn't have some of the skills commercially, but they said it won't be an issue as in this instance training would be provided.

I have just applied for a similar position which is in my Town Centre and literally only about a 4 mins walk away, but these are saying some experience is required - but going to see what they say and do etc.

Only concern I have is that they have advertised this one on the JCP computers which my adviser has posted to me after I already applied, and they've advertised in the local newspaper as well so possibly going to be alot of interest.

It does seem to be picking up this year though so hopefully it shouldn't be too long.

Is this your first job that you're applying to? If you're being asked for experience you don't have, have you considered doing volunteering while you're not working to get some experience?

I'm not sure what the line of work is that you want to go into but for example if you wanted to go into marketing could you contact a local charity and ask to volunteer to help out with that?

Okay it will probably be stuffing envelopes and answering the phone to start with but at least you would be able to say that you had some experience.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Its not my 1st job. I have an degree but only had the 1 job (degree based-ish) lasting for nearly 3 years and been out of work now for 1 year. Whilst at Uni I was unable to work (personal reasons), so apart from my last role don't have much experience.

The issue I am finding is that the company I worked for aren't the best, and there is very little skills I can transfer. Also my degree has specific skills as well but nothing commercially, so its a bit hard as some companies still don't want to train.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 261
    Forum Member
    sorry to hear that chris. only positive point is that all interview practice will hopefully help you in the future. i know that's not much of a consolation though!

i hope you find something soon :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 233
    Forum Member
    chris2k2 wrote: »
    Will keep you posted klinnet.

Was shocked though that on Friday they run a Dress-Down day and the interviewers didn't even turn up in a suit, but they did tell me why.

Was it at the LSC? They always used to interview there on dress down day!

Sorry you didn't get the job. Hope you manage to find something soon :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    No it wasn't them, never heard of LSC before.
    Where I used to work it was also dress-down Friday, but we where explicitly told that if a meeting was going on or someone getting interviewed etc that we would have to be office attire.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Didn't want to start a new thread, but was wondering if someone could give me some advice here?

I went for an interview last week which did seem to be Competency based - Stage 1 of 2 again.

I am currently awaiting feedback from them. However, just been speaking to my Agent and they have said that there hasn't been much discussed but mentioned that at the interview I was asked 'What has happened over the last year since I've been out, have I attended any interviews, etc'.

My answer was honesty all the way, I told them that their interview was my 13th but not been successful due to lack of skills and companies don't want to train me for the missing skills due to cost, and that they have all been for different roles than what I've done previously.

This new position is 90% same as previous.
    They then asked me for a list of previous companies, which I gave about 5 that I could remember.

Anyways, my Agent said that it doesn't seem like the company is optimistic about my answer and I should have approached it a different way, and it may end up being a Positive (for being honest and showing I'm trying to get back into work) or a Negative against me (probably because I've failed so far).

What are yours thoughts on this? Should I have approached this in a different way?