Undercover Boss, Channel 4

Comments

• mangobuttermangobutter Posts: 910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SXTony wrote: »
    I felt a bit sorry for the Manchester shop lady. She'd pulled the shop out of the gutters, ran a tight, tidy ship and really wanted to push the shop on and all she got was some cash for the shop. The other ladies got a £5k holiday each. Granted, I missed their part of the show, but I thought it a bit unfair.

I agree with you, it was awful for the Boss lady!! I was going to put some BB bets on with them, will take my cash elsewhere - Victor or Ladbrokes!!! The boss lady in Mancs deserved a holiday!!!! The undercover bosss thought she wanted to double the turnover but she wants to triple it and she gets nothing for herself??? Crazy, greedy Paddy Power!!!!!:mad:
  • jaimeswjaimesw Posts: 1,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks like it's going to be a crap one tonight.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Having to fill in a "client profile" just to get your hair cut?

Plus, how does a business think it can get away with "sorry we can't serve you because you are black"
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    striing wrote: »
    Why do you say that?

Only reason for me to say it looks crap is that I've never heard of Francescos, but then I have been giving myself a skinhead every month for the past 20 years. So apologies if they are a well known name.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15
    Forum Member
    Having lived and shopped in Derby all my life... I didn't even know that place existed!
  • SmallalienSmallalien Posts: 1,044
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So when it's black people wanting their hair cut she's all like 'Oh you must serve them it's discrimination, you can't turn people away - but when it's old people she can say 'What are we doing serving them, we don't want them as customers'.

Hypocrite. She's rather unpleasant isn't she?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So out of all the shops they are only going to ones that are hard to find..... I guess people watching will know where to go now then! Good advertising.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I quite like her but I definitely thought wow hypocrite much when she started talking about people with sticks as if they were unwanted clients. Plus she's missed the business point that the older clients are a far greater demongraphic in some of the areas she's talking about than black women. Yes a lot of black women spend a lot of money on their hair but there's not much point focussing on them if they don't live in your town.

I don't like her. Half the problems that she's uncovering in the salon are the fault of head office like the marketing, people not being trained to do afro hair (head office do the training) and they will have franchised out to these hard to find shops and sanctioned them when they started out. They're obviously not supporting these businesses properly. But she seems to be blaming the salons.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 43
    Forum Member
    It doesn't seem like she's found out much about how to turn around the business
  • googlekinggoogleking Posts: 15,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dull. all she went on about was that nobody could find the premises.

also what was with her going on about "our company" all the time when it was clearly just a two-bit franchise operation?
  • habbyhabby Posts: 10,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tonight's looks like it might be interesting. It seems to be an unknown company so there's no reason why the employees should be suspicious. I hope it's not just advertising for the company though.

Oh you lost your bet.:)

My wife, being a hair expert :p says they'll never compete with the 'big names' in hairdressing from what she saw from this programme and doing black hair is a speciality.
  • PaacePaace Posts: 14,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So where does this manager normally have her hair attended to then? Looks like she's never been to any of her own franchise's .

I agree with other posters about her appalling attitude to older people using one of her places. I'm afraid she's just symptomatic of most big business towards the elderly . They're only interested in making as much money as they can out of the gullible youth.
  • SandgrownunSandgrownun Posts: 5,024
    Forum Member
    Could one of the problems with the salons losing money be that nowhere on the signage does it say that they're a hairdressers?
    Smallalien wrote: »
    So when it's black people wanting their hair cut she's all like 'Oh you must serve them it's discrimination, you can't turn people away - but when it's old people she can say 'What are we doing serving them, we don't want them as customers'.

Hypocrite.
    I thought that. I agreed with her about it being strange that a salon wouldn't wash and blow dry her hair because she's black and no one had the right training (and isn't all curly hair the same, as she said?). But she lost my sympathy when she moaned about the elderly clientele. I'm very sure if she'd found out the manager was making wigs and she hadn't been on telly, she wouldn't have let him carry on.
  • Ollie_h19Ollie_h19 Posts: 8,548
    Forum Member
    Having lived and shopped in Derby all my life... I didn't even know that place existed!

Same here, over 30 years in Derby and I must have walked past that place thousands of times.
  • Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Smallalien wrote: »
    I don't like her. Half the problems that she's uncovering in the salon are the fault of head office like the marketing, people not being trained to do afro hair (head office do the training) and they will have franchised out to these hard to find shops and sanctioned them when they started out. They're obviously not supporting these businesses properly. But she seems to be blaming the salons.

You do understand what a franchise is right? there is no head office as such as the companies running the salons are independent, run under the franchise licence. The salons themselves are responsible for a lot of what you criticise.
  • grahamzxygrahamzxy Posts: 11,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Birmingham Academy

Award Winning Hairdressing Education. Over 30 salons, Francesco Group is one of the UK’s largest, award winning hairdressing companies.

Francesco Group is also one of the UK’s best hairdressing training providers, graded 'Outstanding' by OFSTED.

Our City & Guilds Level 2 Diploma in Hair Services / NVQ Level 2 in Hairdressing course enables students to become fully qualified hairdressers at our NEW Academy opening in Birmingham in September 2012, running in partnership with Stafford College.

The course is taught by dedicated NVQ educators. Lessons include theory work, demonstrations, projects and hands-on workshops. The course is 2 years.

I think she had what some people call 'attitude', she was obsessed with selling 'product', I did not dislike her, nor did I like her, she was playing a part for the television programme. The Francesco brand ought know what franchisee staff are capable of, and they ought be ringing franchisees regularly.

This new academy they have planned ought improve things, I did just notice they have current vacancies on their home page which is decent of them.

http://www.francescogroup.co.uk/education/birmingham-academy.php
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thine Wonk wrote: »
    You do understand what a franchise is right? there is no head office as such as the companies running the salons are independent, run under the franchise licence. The salons themselves are responsible for a lot of what you criticise.

Oh you div? Did you not watch the programme, they said at the start that the head office of the franchise group was responsible for the training and marketing of the salons as part of the franchise fee.

So before you get high handed and patronising about what I 'know' it might be an idea to watch the show you are commenting on properly before accusing others of being misinformed.
  • lightonmyfeetlightonmyfeet Posts: 1,767
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have just watched this and yes the point was made a couple of times that head office is responsible for training, so if the salons don't have people who have received training in afro hair then this is a probelm for which the company must share the blame. I was not impressed with this as in the scene when Jackie was reporting back to head office she kept going on about not all customers were having a positive customer experience but did not elaborate. I also was not impressed with
    1) negative attitudes to the older customers
    2) the silly nonsense of hiding from the IT man - she kept a customer waiting whilst she did so, not bothering about her "postive customer experience"
    3) the telling off of the manager who does not like to push products and all that stuff about the need to set targets. When I go to have my hair done I want to know that my stylist has a good haircut as their target and not flogging products.

The programme created too many points but no real focus on the issues behind them. I did not get a postive view of the company or of Jackie.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting one for me personally tonight.

My Mum started her career as a nurse in London before moving to Lincolnshire some years back and has worked for this company and still does the occasional shift for them on her days off from her current job

The stories I get told will not be shown tonight, that I can guarantee!
  • habbyhabby Posts: 10,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jaimesw wrote: »
    Interesting one for me personally tonight.

My Mum started her career as a nurse in London before moving to Lincolnshire some years back and has worked for this company and still does the occasional shift for them on her days off from her current job

The stories I get told will not be shown tonight, that I can guarantee!

They can't show the bad bits or theyll get no residents or staff.

Your mum must be very good, it's not a job I could do.
  • TrebleKingTrebleKing Posts: 2,390
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I couldn't stand the Francesco boss that went undercover. Her attitude to that shop in Derby that had a load of OAPs was stinking. What, aren't old people entitled to have their hair done? Their money's as good as anybody else's. It seemed that race played an integral part in her thinking. Shops were supposed to know how to treat black clients no matter what, but to hell with the indigenous elderly.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Better episode this week. Still a bit of a setup though - there's no way he would have been surprised about the building work still going on on board - it's quite common. Shouldn't have had the public so close to the section being worked on though!

Chef woman was cute! Refreshing though that he didn't just throw a job at her, he was honest and said that he couldn't do that - it always seems so false when they throw holidays or money at the selected individuals lucky enough to go on the show but continue to screw all their other staff.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13
    Forum Member
    Yes paying people £3 an hour because they are from a different country is fair
  • d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    googleking wrote: »
    Better episode this week. Still a bit of a setup though - there's no way he would have been surprised about the building work still going on on board - it's quite common. Shouldn't have had the public so close to the section being worked on though!

Chef woman was cute! Refreshing though that he didn't just throw a job at her, he was honest and said that he couldn't do that - it always seems so false when they throw holidays or money at the selected individuals lucky enough to go on the show but continue to screw all their other staff.

I guess you posted that just before he offered a trip to Paris to the guy earning £3.00 an hour!:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I did, yes :D

He let me down in the end :(