Options

International Cricket 2015

Comments

• Options
    SegaGamerSegaGamer Posts: 29,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    aurichie wrote: »
    Bat out tomorrow (1st innings) and we save the test match. Very little if any play on Sunday.

89/4 close. Excellent recovery.

Excellent recovery ? nothing has been recovered yet. 89/4 is crap, i'll say excellent recovery if they manage to somehow get over 350 runs. The England batters choked under pressure.
  • Options
    atkoatko Posts: 4,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SegaGamer wrote: »
    Excellent recovery ? nothing has been recovered yet. 89/4 is crap, i'll say excellent recovery if they manage to somehow get over 350 runs. The England batters choked under pressure.

That's the problem with the English in any sport, they don't handle pressure very well. All they had to do was avoid losing this test match as they were one up in the series but you wouldn't have thought that the way they batted this afternoon. I was watching & yelling at the TV, just see the session out & regroup tomorrow but they continued one after another playing at balls they had no need to play at......ridiculous! Now we are facing an uphill task, avoid losing by an innings & more would be a success right now the way both teams are playing in this test match.
  • Options
    Thomas007Thomas007 Posts: 14,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh well, that supposed "wash out" according the latest metoffice projection doesn't appear to be happening no longer, rather rain in the morning only, nothing on monday either.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/forecast/gcpvj0v07#?fcTime=1437264000

Honestly England need rain intervention as if there's still around 270 overs of play left I can't see Australia not winning this, even if England avoid the follow on.

They need to shave that off to at least 200 overs, surviving from that is still pretty optimistic.
  • Options
    owen10owen10 Posts: 128,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have to say Australia bowled some great balls to get those wickets on a flat pitch
  • Options
    BhaveshgorBhaveshgor Posts: 9,312
    Forum Member
    mimik1uk wrote: »
    someone has extremely selective memory

in the last 5 years there have been 8 drawn tests in england out of 35 games

of those 8 there were 6 where at least a full days play was lost to the weather and of the other 2 one was the draw against sri lanka last year which was a cracking test match

that leaves one game , last year against india at trent bridge where we saw a truly dead pitch that was the determining factor in the drawn test

i really fail to take seriously the opinion of anyone who can say that the UAE produces better pitches for test cricket than england considering one third of matches played in the UAE over that same five year period have been draws and i doubt any were rain affected

Thank for the stats next time ACU starts talking rubbish about India I will just copy this post lol:D

Still think England pitch are poor compared to the rest.
    Really makes no difference if UAE/Bangladesh pitches are worse then english pitches end of the day England should be aiming to produce the best pitches possible.
    I am a massive believer that pitches produces cricketers, poor pitches produces poorer players and good pitches produces good players.

Big innings for Bell and ballance coming up.
    Jonny Bairstow, Taylor and possibly hales pushing for their spots.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    owen10 wrote: »
    I have to say Australia bowled some great balls to get those wickets on a flat pitch

A pitch that was the same for both teams with no weather interruption to change the surface. They make 566 whilst most of our openers fall without reaching double figures. Their bowlers take 4 wickets in no time whilst we can't even bowl them out in the best part of 2 days. :p
  • Options
    Steveaustin316Steveaustin316 Posts: 15,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's frustrating that twice in 2015, England have won test matches in an impressive fashion, only to lose the next match. Barring a miracle, it looks like happening for a third time.

A repeat of Day 3 from the 2013 Lord's test would be such a miracle.
  • Options
    Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    England are so inconsistent at the moment it is very frustrating.

As for Bell - drop him - for someone of his sublime talent his record is poor and getting worse by the match.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    England are so inconsistent at the moment it is very frustrating.

As for Bell - drop him - for someone of his sublime talent his record is poor and getting worse by the match.

I agree about Bell, on a good day he is outstanding, on a bad he is worse than useless but you can't keep picking him hoping for the good when he is so much out of form. A poor batting performance once again & a dropped catch in the Aussie innings which proved costly does not merit selection in the 3rd test IMO.

After England's recent performances in the one day series & we take that momentum in to the first test, I wonder if Cook's press conference insisting we are still the underdogs has had a negative effect. I doubt you would ever hear the Aussies saying such a thing.
  • Options
    Mitu_PappiMitu_Pappi Posts: 1,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mitu_Pappi wrote: »
    Not when team batting second sees the scoreboard and gets jittery. Thats what the games all about. I predict an innings defeat. Johnson to do the damage.

Prediction happening so far. Johnson will be unstoppable now for the rest of the series. The one sided manner of the cardiff victory and the gloating by English press has stirred the Aussies to blood thirsty levels. It wont end well for England.
  • Options
    DMN1968DMN1968 Posts: 2,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unfortunately that doesn't look like happening any time soon. Australia are on for a mammoth score here and knowing how brittle our top order is I can see us being 30/4 in reply

And tomorrows lottery numbers?

Despite the top order failing again - according to the Telegraph today we have the lowest average partnership for the first three wickets in 2015 of all test playing nations - I am surprised that KP is not being mentioned by the hang them high brigade!
  • Options
    mimik1ukmimik1uk Posts: 46,701
    Forum Member
    missed the last hour or so today and maybe a good thing

as far as the debate about players as i said earlier i cant see any sense whatsoever dropping lyth , this is only his 4th test, we have chopped and changed openers too much since strauss retired and we need to give him a run of games, especially when there isn't any opener in county cricket demanding selection

my views on bell haven't changed , we have a guy who is averaging under 30 for the last 18 months which is nowhere near good enough for a top order batsman in test cricket. there is no point saying "send him back to county cricket for awhile", he scores runs by the bucket load in county cricket and always will imo but then still fails to deliver consistently in tests. hes had enough chances and we gotta make this decision with either bairstow or taylor coming in.

ballance is the difficult one, i said before the series he concerned me , because he doesn't look the same player he was last year, his movement back in his crease has become exaggerated since last year and he is also moving too far to the leg-side leaving his off-stump exposed too often, thats not just a knee jerk reaction to today, its been a problem all year. they showed a few split screens of him compared to last year and he is also crouching more in the crease and making it hard for himself to react to fuller deliveries. he is someone that desperately needs time back in county cricket imo to try and sort out these issues and get back to the player he was last year. i said during the last test i thought it was a crazy decision by the ECB to take him to the team building jolly in spain before this series started rather than have him play for yorks as he so obviously needs to sort himself out. thats almost 8 months now he has looked in horrible form if you include ODIs.
  • Options
    alfamalealfamale Posts: 10,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some pretty over the top reactions earlier Yes, if we cant avoid the follow-on it'll be tough to save this match. But even so that's 1-1 against the aussies who 3 months ago were going to crush us as we were useless (I wont quote the endless posts on here Feb-Mar of this year).

A premise i always held was our 83mph bowlers could eek out wkts, their 90mph+ bowlers would have a session or two where they blow 3 or 4 of our lot away. All i've seen today is the new ball swing and do a little bit unlike yesterday morning (altho jimmy got a few Rogers edges, one in is first over when root didnt even jump to a reachable ball over 3rd slip). Johnson with his weird left arm action and Starc swinging it have troubled top batsmen the world over, Starc especially at the World Cup. So when new ball swung you'd expect us to lose a couple esp with the scoreboard pressure before things settled down. Unfortunately Lyth and Root giving it away added to the 2 losses from great bowling. And once the new ball got 20+ overs old it looked much like the batting conditions the aussies had the whole time and we weren't troubled at all.

Although us being that many runs behind and desperate to avoid the follow-on i do think we'll struggle to get the draw.

And with everyone queuing up to kick out our whole top order dont forget one of the worlds best Ricky Ponting who finished with a Test avg over 50 scored less than 30 runs in over half of his Test match innings and less than 10 runs in 25% of his innings. There's knee jerk and there's sensible replacing players who are past their prime or because they cant cut it at this level. Lyth probably the only one who could be accused of one of those at the mo.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    alfamale wrote: »
    There's knee jerk and there's sensible replacing players who are past their prime or because they cant cut it at this level. Lyth probably the only one who could be accused of one of those at the mo.

lyth hasn't had nearly enough games to make that call imo

your ricky ponting analogy is so flawed as no-one is saying that people need to be scoring alot of runs every time they play , its accepted in cricket that people are going to have good days and bad days, but when there is a sustained period of poor form or glaring technical issues then that has to be addressed

are you really saying that questioning the place of a guy averaging under 30 for a period of 18 months is a knee-jerk reaction ?
  • Options
    BhaveshgorBhaveshgor Posts: 9,312
    Forum Member
    Also you have to look where those runs come from.
    Ricky ponting less than 30 runs or less than 10 most likely came in india/Asia where he often struggled where Harbhajan Singh had a massive wood over him.
    The other low scores would have came in his last few years where he struggled.
    Also Ponting Struggled in the 90s so that another period is low scores came from.
    but from 2000-2006 ponting hardly failed with the bat barring india in 2001/04.
  • Options
    dtcdtcdtcdtcdtcdtc Posts: 16,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Poor start from England but I still think we have a better than even chance of posting 400

(Spreads are currently showing 302-317 from an opening quote of 365-380)

Watched the England innings in the pub so probably not the best view, but Stokes looks like he wants to make up for missing his ton against NZ and Cook is due a big one

Get through the first hour and I think we will do OK

As for changing the line up, I agree with most on here that Bell is treading on thin ice. Hales or Taylor must be due to have a go soon

Keep Lyth for the whole series and , most importantly, tell him that so it will help his confidence
  • Options
    Forum Member
    as an aside , some of the hardy's ads they have on during the cricket are really funny

the one where they are trying to get the guy to stand next to stuart broad and he keeps trying to edge out of the shot makes me chuckle every time i see it
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Agree re the Hardy ads. very funny

Enjoyed the Saturday chat at Lords

Seems a good idea about the visiting team automatically winning the toss which would improve the pitches
    Only bit that may be tricky to implement is when you have to declare your starting X1's as knowing if you're batting or bowling more than likely could alter the make up of your team
  • Options
    jcafcwjcafcw Posts: 11,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Today is the day when England snatches victory from the jaws of defeat and ends the day 423-4.

Hopefully.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    dtcdtcdtc wrote: »
    Agree re the Hardy ads. very funny

Enjoyed the Saturday chat at Lords

Seems a good idea about the visiting team automatically winning the toss which would improve the pitches
    Only bit that may be tricky to implement is when you have to declare your starting X1's as knowing if you're batting or bowling more than likely could alter the make up of your team

i like the idea in principle

it would stop countries preparing a pitch that is too far to the benefit of batting or bowling if they know they wont get first crack at it

i sometimes think its too easy to criticise pitches tho , the pitch at cardiff was getting alot of stick but if you think about it we got a game of cricket that finished in 4 days, both teams took 20 wickets, seamers and spinners took wickets and we had a run rate close to 4 per over for the duration
  • Options
    Forum Member
    jcafcw wrote: »
    Today is the day when England snatches victory from the jaws of defeat and ends the day 423-4.

Hopefully.

bit early to have had that much to drink isn't it ;-):p:D
  • Options
    Apple_CrumbleApple_Crumble Posts: 21,748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    davethecue wrote: »
    As for who would replace them, Hales and Taylor would be my shout but they don't seem to be the selectors favourites..
    PompeyBill wrote: »
    Taylor deserves a go
    Bhaveshgor wrote: »
    Taylor and possibly hales pushing for their spots.

This season, Taylor has a FC average of under 33 from 18 innings. Last season he averaged 38.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    100 partnership:)

More of the same please
  • Options
    Forum Member
    just thinking when watching that last review take place and how they go through each aspect of the technology in a set order

wouldn't it make more sense for the onfield umpire to say to the 3rd umpire why he gave it not out , they could then look at that first and save time

for example with that last review erasmus says he thinks it pitched outside leg stump so the 3rd umpire looks at that first , if erasmus thought there was in inside edge they could look at hot spot or snicko first
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mimik1uk wrote: »
    just thinking when watching that last review take place and how they go through each aspect of the technology in a set order

wouldn't it make more sense for the onfield umpire to say to the 3rd umpire why he gave it not out , they could then look at that first and save time

for example with that last review erasmus says he thinks it pitched outside leg stump so the 3rd umpire looks at that first , if erasmus thought there was in inside edge they could look at hot spot or snicko first

The cynic in me thinks that it may be due to sponsors getting more airtime....

From a personal point of view, time to get the kettle on:)