Options

Problems With Dion Box

bigluke1970bigluke1970 Posts: 634
Forum Member
✭✭
Hi there

At my work we have a Dion Digital box connected up to a indoor aerial (not a roof one). My works postcode is EH11

When I went to work today I tried to watch STV but there was no signal. It was the Same with CH 4 and CHannel 5. I decided to do a Automatic Search. Now Channels 3, Channel 4 and Channel 5 have gone

How do I get them back.

I phoned the freeview hotline (0845 50 50). The woman on the line mentioned I had to do a manual update using MUX and entering in 46, 43, 40, 41 , 44 and 47. (MUX No's for my area) I tried to do that in the Manual update but the box did nothing. Can I do this in the Auto Update Option.

Is it possible to get my channels back or will we have to get an outdoor aerial? Or a better box.?

The Box jumps from BBC1, BBC2 to BBC 3.

Is there a link to any website that will give me better instructions.

Cheers

Luke

Comments

• Options
    MuzerMuzer Posts: 3,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you can see the transmitter from the building, an indoor aerial has a decent likelihood of working. If not, you'll be lucky to get a decent Freeview signal on all multiplexes (it wasn't really designed for indoor aerials), so I would get a loft, or better yet external, aerial if I were you.

A few things you can check - if you have any other boxes, or TVs with Freeview built in, you could try tuning them just to make sure it isn't the box. You can also try moving the aerial about and rescanning each time you move it to a different place, see if you can get a better signal. It'll probably work best by the window that points towards the transmitter.

Another issue could be the aerial type - I've heard on here in the past that ones that boil down to a loop of wire, maybe with "bunny ears", generally aren't as good as the ones that look like miniature outdoor aerials (which unfortunately are harder to find). For the loop-of-wire-with-bunny-ears, make sure the loop is facing where the transmitter is - imagine the signal going through the hole. For one that looks like a miniature outdoor aerial, get the long rod pointing towards the transmitter - most main transmitters should also have the "spikes" horizontal rather than vertical.

You can get a compass bearing for the transmitter by putting your postcode into digitaluk.com and ticking "I'm in the aerial installation trade". The top transmitter listed is your most likely one - if you don't know about compass bearings, 0° is north, and it simply goes around clockwise to 360° being North again - so 180 is South, 90 is East and 270 is West.

Finally, check for anything that's changed in your setup - it could be (very unlikely) that something is creating interference somehow. Move away or turn off any wireless devices, etc., or even try turning off everything else electrical if you are able to do that.
  • Options
    neon-lightningneon-lightning Posts: 115
    Forum Member
    I am assuming that you were able to get all the freeview channels before the digital switchover, so a set top aerial should be fine, as the signal strengths have improved, not weakened.

What you need to do, is do a factory reset or it might also be known as a first time installation.

Just doing an automatic tune or manual tune does not work with some boxes or tv's.

Hope this helps.
  • Options
    Paul_BlackburnPaul_Blackburn Posts: 1,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I keep getting the message new service added does anyone know what that means.
  • Options
    BizmanBizman Posts: 749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I keep getting the message new service added does anyone know what that means.
    It means it has added a new channel, probably 253 PassionTV.
  • Options
    David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds like you need a proper outdoor aerial installed.

My location is served by 2 transmitters....and I have done experiments using a Sony TV and indoor telecam 2000 aerial.

I have a separate signal amp (mains powered booster and I attempted both freeview signals with and without the boost box).

Pointing to the main mendip mast, some 36miles away over a blocking hill, I got nothing with or without the booster (upstairs room, facing the signal, thru a window).

Pointing to the local relay mast, 2miles away, in the same upstairs room, tru the same window (aerial now vertical for the relays vertical signal). I got a signal with all chs but the strength was quite weak, and as soon as I moved the aerial - even by a few cm - the picture and sound broke up. With the booster in place, this service was a lot more stable and I could place the aerial in slightly different places without signal loss - but only up to a point, the other side the room still had no service.

The usual configuration for us is a small roof top aerial for relay reception, or a massive roof aerial on a high pole (flapping round in the slightest wind) with a signal amplifier fitted in order to try and get the weak signal from mendip (and it often doesn't work, or work reliably).

Freeview from the relay transmitter only broadcasts the core ch package, about half compared with mendip.
  • Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    David (2) wrote: »
    Sounds like you need a proper outdoor aerial installed.

My location is served by 2 transmitters....and I have done experiments using a Sony TV and indoor telecam 2000 aerial.

I have a separate signal amp (mains powered booster and I attempted both freeview signals with and without the boost box).

Pointing to the main mendip mast, some 36miles away over a blocking hill, I got nothing with or without the booster (upstairs room, facing the signal, thru a window).

Pointing to the local relay mast, 2miles away, in the same upstairs room, tru the same window (aerial now vertical for the relays vertical signal). I got a signal with all chs but the strength was quite weak, and as soon as I moved the aerial - even by a few cm - the picture and sound broke up. With the booster in place, this service was a lot more stable and I could place the aerial in slightly different places without signal loss - but only up to a point, the other side the room still had no service.

The usual configuration for us is a small roof top aerial for relay reception, or a massive roof aerial on a high pole (flapping round in the slightest wind) with a signal amplifier fitted in order to try and get the weak signal from mendip (and it often doesn't work, or work reliably).

Freeview from the relay transmitter only broadcasts the core ch package, about half compared with mendip.

If you are replying to the OP you might want to cast a glance at the posting date :)