BT Sport Europe

1192021222325»

Comments

• Options
    pakokelso93pakokelso93 Posts: 11,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    KarlHyde wrote: »
    The Russian teams will definitely have 5pm home games on matchdays 4 & 5 (they always play away from home on matchday 6) and in the round of 16, if they qualify.

As I've just posted earlier - Russia seem to be 7:45pm KO's now - CSKA at home tonight due to time difference only being +2 all year round.
  • Options
    clewsyclewsy Posts: 4,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Isn't it because of the safety of the crowd with the temp so low at night? That's why I thought they played early.

As for that other team with the A. Who are they? Perfect BT Freeview fodder.
  • Options
    KarlHydeKarlHyde Posts: 1,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As I've just posted earlier - Russia seem to be 7:45pm KO's now - CSKA at home tonight due to time difference only being +2 all year round.
    As Russia has abolished daylight saving time, they're now in the same time zone as Ukraine, Turkey, and Greece during the summer months, where the local kick-off time is 21:45.

But the time difference changes from BST+2 to GMT+3 at the end of October. So they will still have early kick-offs during the winter months. Otherwise their CL home games would kick off at 22:45 local time, which isn't very convenient in November. ;)
  • Options
    KarlHydeKarlHyde Posts: 1,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    clewsy wrote: »
    As for that other team with the A. Who are they? Perfect BT Freeview fodder.
    Astana is in Northern Kazakhstan, about 1,700 miles (!) east/southeast of Moscow. Their time zone is GMT+6. Their home play-off game kicked off at 5pm BST which was 22:00 local time but in the earlier qualifying rounds, they played three hours earlier. It will be interesting to see the kick-off times for their home games in October & November.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So they are perfect fodder for BT FTA football.

We best get supporting them. :)
  • Options
    sat-iresat-ire Posts: 4,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't get why people believe BT will use up their FTA Showcase matches on 5pm matches from Russia or former USSR countries?

The main point of the FTA games is to sell the competition and sign up subscribers. Showing only the very least attractive games, in a timeslot that would mean most of its potential audience are either working or in a metal tin on the way home from work, would seriously downgrade the whole competition for potential subscribers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No it's not to sell BT as the MAIN point. That's a sub point, as the MAIN point is that they have to show 12 matches FTA as part of the agreement.

It's works perfectly as they don't want people thinking "oh well I get 12 games free so why should I subscribe?". That's why last night's game was not that well promoted. Also its why if a FTA broadcast is involved in the share of any rights, the value drops. Watch F1 go full pay TV on the next deal.

Also remember if your watching that xrap match now ...well loook what is coming up later on BT Sport ...gets you wanting that little bit more. Wet the apatite and get you subing into the channel.
  • Options
    DragonQDragonQ Posts: 4,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well its FTA and BT arnt going to put it on rival platforms. They want you off sky and on to BTTV so helping break that attachment.
    Satellite isn't a rival platform. They also have all of their main channels on it in HD.

They wouldn't even need to add it to the Sky EPG if they didn't want to, at least make it available on Freesat and it can be tuned manually by the savvy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But it is a rival platform. BTTV is an IPTV service and Sky isnt. BT TV want you into the IPTV party and they arnt daft as they know many have some emotional attachment to Sky so breaking it will take some force ...or tricks like this.
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,633
    Forum Member
    I have always thought Sky subscribers have had a good deal by getting broadcast BT Sport free up until now as long as they were on BT Broadband. Seems I was right judging by the amount of squealing now going on.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No it's not to sell BT as the MAIN point. That's a sub point, as the MAIN point is that they have to show 12 matches FTA as part of the agreement.

It's works perfectly as they don't want people thinking "oh well I get 12 games free so why should I subscribe?". That's why last night's game was not that well promoted. Also its why if a FTA broadcast is involved in the share of any rights, the value drops. Watch F1 go full pay TV on the next deal.

Also remember if your watching that xrap match now ...well loook what is coming up later on BT Sport ...gets you wanting that little bit more. Wet the apatite and get you subing into the channel.

That's the point. How many will be watching that crap match in order for them to promote later offerings ;-)

What appetites would be whetted by Astana v whoever anyway?

If UEFA have demanded they show games FTA they are going to insist on a certain level of quality, especialy in relation to the audience that they serve.

They have also committed to each British (now English) team at least once....

Most importantly of all I feel - last night they picked the most attractive match to show. Using the logic I see posted here surely Astana v Apoel would've been used to entice viewers to sign up?
  • Options
    DragonQDragonQ Posts: 4,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sat-ire wrote: »
    If UEFA have demanded they show games FTA they are going to insist on a certain level of quality, especialy in relation to the audience that they serve.
    Judging by the 544x576 blurry mess, I doubt they're bothered by quality. ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DragonQ wrote: »
    Judging by the 544x576 blurry mess, I doubt they're bothered by quality. ;)

We were, of course, debating the quality of the matches but I take your point :D
  • Options
    mogzyboymogzyboy Posts: 6,436
    Forum Member
    gomezz wrote: »
    I have always thought Sky subscribers have had a good deal by getting broadcast BT Sport free up until now as long as they were on BT Broadband. Seems I was right judging by the amount of squealing now going on.
    Having BT Broadband isn't necessarily the cheapest way to get BT Sport anyway. I pay £37/month for fibre, line Rental (with Sky) and standalone BT Sport with their Second Box option. BT were given the option to beat it, but weren't interested. It's their loss.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sat-ire wrote: »

They have also committed to each British (now English) team at least once....

Most importantly of all I feel - last night they picked the most attractive match to show. Using the logic I see posted here surely Astana v Apoel would've been used to entice viewers to sign up?

Do you know this for a fact? All I have read is that BT offered to give up 12 games FTA, including each UK team once and the final of course. I suspect that UEFA will have no say on the game and quite frankly won't care as they are getting the nice pay day.

Last nights game may have been the best on offer, but more cynically they showed a nothing game, involving a UK side so now if you want to watch the group games that matter, well you need BT Sport as a Man U fan. It was just as many of us predicted would happen and I suspect those hoping BT are going to show "decent" games free will be disappointed.

The real question is when will they show the other UK sides? I guess they will be hoping each team is in a group with a dire looking side and nothing to play for ... however this gamble could be tricky.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you know this for a fact? All I have read is that BT offered to give up 12 games FTA, including each UK team once and the final of course. I suspect that UEFA will have no say on the game and quite frankly won't care as they are getting the nice pay day.

Last nights game may have been the best on offer, but more cynically they showed a nothing game, involving a UK side so now if you want to watch the group games that matter, well you need BT Sport as a Man U fan. It was just as many of us predicted would happen and I suspect those hoping BT are going to show "decent" games free will be disappointed.

The real question is when will they show the other UK sides? I guess they will be hoping each team is in a group with a dire looking side and nothing to play for ... however this gamble could be tricky.

I don't know anything for a fact, hence the use of the word "if" :)

So "if" UEFA wanted games FTA they did so for a reason and my best guess would be for maximum exposure of sponsors, otherwise what was the point (unless you can think of a better reason)?

This would also explain why each English team are also scheduled to be shown at least once.

Maximum exposure of the sponsors and/or the competition won't happen showing an Eastern European team in a 5pm game, no matter who is playing :)

BTW it's "at least" 12 games. This has been the statement in all written PR on the subject.

And, of course you need BT Sport to watch Manchester United in the Champions League - unless you're at the games of course. I suspect an absolute majority of those wishing to watch would be aware of this - free games or none.

Not to mention that on the platform most accessible to most potential subscribers the match was subscription only.
  • Options
    jlp95bwfcjlp95bwfc Posts: 18,415
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    453k for last night's match on BT Sport Europe. Compared to 426k watching Sky's Barnsley v Everton match. Don't have a rating for how many watched on BT Sport Showcase but it was less than 400k.
  • Options
    ArchieArchivistArchieArchivist Posts: 321
    Forum Member
    The Sky EPG has been updated and the "No GFX L" message appears for every programme broadcast between midnight and 6AM every night next week.

I've noticed in recent nights that the horrific "L" is not present overnight, but it seems that this is now being formally extended to weeknights as opposed to simply weekends.

While this is a step in the right direction, we now have the ludicrous situation where you can watch one 2007/08 Champions League classic match in full screen glory - but the preceding programme, featuring a match from the very same competition, only inside the appalling L. Basically, if you watch the 11.30PM classic match, you are compelled to watch it in shrunken screen mode, yet the very next programme at midnight will be broadcast as it should be - in full screen without the on-screen clutter. What a farce.

When will BT just accept that the L is a demented idea that had no business ever being aired beyond the self-serving imagination of the creative genius who dreamt it up under the influence of very bad drugs or copious quantities of self-delusion.

Archie.
  • Options
    mogzyboymogzyboy Posts: 6,436
    Forum Member
    When will BT just accept that the L is a demented idea that had no business ever being aired beyond the self-serving imagination of the creative genius who dreamt it up under the influence of very bad drugs or copious quantities of self-delusion.
    Ha, very funny, and extremely well put.
  • Options
    Fieldmouse83Fieldmouse83 Posts: 1,257
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Done worry Archie I think BT know they've messed up badly with the whole L idea and it's obvious they are slowly phasing it out altogether, so it will soon be a thing from the past.. Good riddance I say.
    Oh and if your reading this BT - SACK the staff who thought up and gave the green light to the whole idea in the first place.
  • Options
    Peachy KeenPeachy Keen Posts: 2,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was really looking forward to the repeat of Welling v Tranmere game which l went to earlier today only to find the dreaded 'L' shape spoiling my viewing! I quickly switched over to see the borderless cricket highlights on Channel 5.

I can't believe that the numbskulls of BT Sport are so naive thinking viewers are satisfied with this stupid arrangement!

Come on BT, we hate the 'L' shape and didn't cough up £5 a month to see yesterday's news rolling on and on and on!!!
  • Options
    derek500derek500 Posts: 24,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jlp95bwfc wrote: »
    453k for last night's match on BT Sport Europe. Compared to 426k watching Sky's Barnsley v Everton match. Don't have a rating for how many watched on BT Sport Showcase but it was less than 400k.

The BARB officials are out for the week of the first Showcase free match, but unfortunately no top ten.

The weekly reach figures are extremely low (374k), so the channel has made little impact.