Bin Lorry Crashes Into Pedestrians - Glasgow

Comments

• franciefrancie Posts: 31,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mark F wrote: »
    Some people feel they have to keep things quiet to get a job.

However it does seem this was an on going problem and he does seem to have no sympathy or sorrow for those who died and were injured which is sad.

I remember reading the first interview (the only one afaik) after the accident and he certainly came across as having sympathy. If I can find the link I'll add it.

ETA - http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/glasgow-bin-lorry-crash-driver-5107440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aftershow wrote: »
    I'm afraid this seems to have become little more than a rant thread, unfortunately.

Beginning to think you're right, sadly :(
  • duffsdadduffsdad Posts: 11,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    francie wrote: »
    I remember reading the first interview (the only one afaik) after the accident and he certainly came across as having sympathy. If I can find the link I'll add it.

ETA - http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/glasgow-bin-lorry-crash-driver-5107440

In that interview he basically lied. It's very carefully worded and a great show of his character.
    Anguished Harry Clarke, who collapsed unconscious at the wheel, said that he thinks about each victim “every minute of every day”.

Thinks about them every day day but somehow forgot to mention them to the DVLA or his blackouts. For that matter he didnt even declare his new found illness.
    I’ve felt awful not speaking out before now but I was in hospital and my health hasn’t really improved much at all.

Health not improved but forgot to mention it to DVLA.
    I had never had anything wrong with my heart until that day.

Implying this new heart condition is responsible for the accident, no mention of previous blackouts. Strange, this heart condition that he didnt have til that day has hardly been mentioned at the FAI. It centers round his previous blackouts and them happening again. His solicitor hardly raises it either....mmmmm!

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/glasgow-bin-lorry-crash-drivers-5108907

And from the other page
    The relatives of those who died and the survivors said they did not blame the driver and sent messages of support.

Based on the lies he told.I wonder if the paper dares asks their opinion now.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    duffsdad wrote: »
    In that interview he basically lied. It's very carefully worded and a great show of his character.

Thinks about them every day day but somehow forgot to mention them to the DVLA or his blackouts. For that matter he didnt even declare his new found illness.

Health not improved but forgot to mention it to DVLA.

Implying this new heart condition is responsible for the accident, no mention of previous blackouts. Strange, this heart condition that he didnt have til that day has hardly been mentioned at the FAI. It centers round his previous blackouts and them happening again. His solicitor hardly raises it either....mmmmm!

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/glasgow-bin-lorry-crash-drivers-5108907

And from the other page

Based on the lies he told.I wonder if the paper dares asks their opinion now.

My opinion still stands.
  • idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    The reason for that may be down to legal advice etc.

It will be I think. His legal counsel will have told him to be guarded, say nothing, do not answer any questions or make any gesture of contrition or admission until they know what is going to happen regarding a prosecution. It is what I would advise my client if I were a solicitor.

That is why many convicted people facing prison remain impassive in the dock. Their legal team advise them to try and remain neutral, and not display emotion, as the security companies are known to relay the fact that a person cried in court to the prison guards.

Also, people keep going on about him apologising to garner some kind of public approval, but Clarke isn't a public figure, he doesn't need anybody's approval. He's not on The X-Factor, he's just a bin man.
  • calamitycalamity Posts: 12,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    idlewilde wrote: »
    It will be I think. His legal counsel will have told him to be guarded, say nothing, do not answer any questions or make any gesture of contrition or admission until they know what is going to happen regarding a prosecution. It is what I would advise my client if I were a solicitor.

That is why many convicted people facing prison remain impassive in the dock. Their legal team advise them to try and remain neutral, and not display emotion, as the security companies are known to relay the fact that a person cried in court to the prison guards.

Also, people keep going on about him apologising to garner some kind of public approval, but Clarke isn't a public figure, he doesn't need anybody's approval. He's not on The X-Factor, he's just a bin man.
    Firstly hes not on trial.... and yes he isnt a public figure in that sense... hes a bin man , lorry driver who killed six and injured fifteen.. he does need approval but wont get it now.
  • idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    calamity wrote: »
    Firstly hes not on trial.... and yes he isnt a public figure in that sense... hes a bin man , lorry driver who killed six and injured fifteen.. he does need approval but wont get it now.

I know he's not on trial, I haven't said he is have I? :confused:

He doesn't need approval from anybody, he's hardly running for Mayor is he?
  • jzeejzee Posts: 25,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Driver's lawyer has claimed Clarke was confused about his medical condition & can't be blamed as no doctor told him he was unfit to drive. Didn't he withhold information from his GP(s)?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jzee wrote: »
    Driver's lawyer has claimed Clarke was confused about his medical condition & can't be blamed as no doctor told him he was unfit to drive. Didn't he withhold information from his GP(s)?
    Hoachie.
  • ConcretepigsyConcretepigsy Posts: 1,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not being prosecuted because they can't prove he was unfit to drive.

I don't understand that at all
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If he lied about his medical condition, he should be prosecuted IMO. But I haven't followed the matter closely enough to give a truly informed view.
  • ConcretepigsyConcretepigsy Posts: 1,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's lied repeatedly and should be prosecuted
  • Dr. ClawDr. Claw Posts: 7,375
    Forum Member
    what do you expect? lets see scottish police instead arrested a man for making a joke on twitter about the bin crash! and not the guy who actually crashed and killed people. :kitty:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,510
    Forum Member
    Dr. Claw wrote: »
    what do you expect? lets see scottish police instead arrested a man for making a joke on twitter about the bin crash! and not the guy who actually crashed and killed people. :kitty:

The same Scottish Police force who found Karen Buckley four days after she went missing!!
    Welsh Police have yet to find April Jones!!
  • RosebuddyRosebuddy Posts: 1,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not being prosecuted because they can't prove he was unfit to drive.

I don't understand that at all

This is hardly news, we knew from almost day one he wouldn't face any charges.

Why start a new thread ?
  • MagicCoppeliaMagicCoppelia Posts: 21,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Him lying about his health problems is unforgivable. If I was a relative of someone who died I would be so angry.

That said I would hate to live with his conscience.:(
  • davidmcndavidmcn Posts: 12,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dr. Claw wrote: »

The decision not to prosecute has nothing to do with the police.
  • Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Him lying about his health problems is unforgivable. If I was a relative of someone who died I would be so angry.

That said I would hate to live with his conscience.:(

He probably does not have one - as his despicable actions since have proved all too clearly.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 356
    Forum Member
    Beginning to think you're right, sadly :(

Like I said before, though, it's not a court of law. I'm not sure why people being angry about Harry Clarke's history of lying and putting lives at risk bothers some so much.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 356
    Forum Member
    The same Scottish Police force who found Karen Buckley four days after she went missing!!
    Welsh Police have yet to find April Jones!!

How vulgar to use tragedies like this for point scoring!
  • gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just cannot understand why the driver cannot be prosecuted. What the shell is going on?

Surely you don't have to be warned not to drive by a doctor to determine you shouldn't drive. Surely you can make the decision yourself. And surely 12 good man and true should be given the chance to decide whether the driver was at fault or not.

We will give him a new identity, I expect.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    davidmcn wrote: »
    The decision not to prosecute has nothing to do with the police.
    No that's right its not the police, but then he wasn't officially questioned by them either for some reason..
  • davidmcndavidmcn Posts: 12,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    calamity wrote: »
    No that's right its not the police, but then he wasn't officially questioned by them either for some reason..

I expect the Fiscal was already in charge of proceedings by the time he was fit for questioning.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    davidmcn wrote: »
    I expect the Fiscal was already in charge of proceedings by the time he was fit for questioning.
    I think so to but still seems all wrong.
  • jimbo1962jimbo1962 Posts: 2,552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the judge appealed to people driving with similar disabilities to declare.
    why the shell should they when legally nothing will come of it with this precedent.