Comments

• Esot-ericEsot-eric Posts: 1,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's Linux's 24th birthday too.
  • oilmanoilman Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've still got 95 as a virtual machine for when I occasionally need to use some ancient software that won't work on anything newer. Win95 is pretty nippy with an i5 and an SSD :D

Probably faster than it ever ran historically!

Out of interest, I presume 95 is public domain now ie you do not need a licence?
  • OrbitalzoneOrbitalzone Posts: 12,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    oilman wrote: »

Out of interest, I presume 95 is public domain now ie you do not need a licence?
    I assumed it still needed a licence, does software licences expire or need to be renewed by the owner?
  • Esot-ericEsot-eric Posts: 1,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No, it's not public domain (and won't be for another 75 years). You need a licence and product key, but the keys are easily found online and before Windows XP none of the versions of Windows does online activation.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Esot-eric wrote: »
    No, it's not public domain (and won't be for another 75 years). You need a licence and product key, but the keys are easily found online and before Windows XP none of the versions of Windows does online activation.

Shame on you - encouraging piracy (:-))!
    Seriously, 75 years - by then I'll be dead!
  • coolercooler Posts: 13,024
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Microsoft Windows 95 Video Guide with Jennifer Aniston and Matthew Perry from Friends

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGYcNcFhctc
  • LandisLandis Posts: 14,855
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Talking of obsolete Operating Systems....I have an XP machine in the kitchen. I use it to watch iplayer.
    Yesterday I was prompted to turn on automatic updates....because there were updates ready to download. :o
    Indeed there were. 2 security updates and 1 other.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Landis wrote: »
    Talking of obsolete Operating Systems....I have an XP machine in the kitchen. I use it to watch iplayer.
    Yesterday I was prompted to turn on automatic updates....because there were updates ready to download. :o

If you only use it for iplayer, you could buy a now TV box for £15. You can watch all terrestrial catch up TV services, you have a proper remote control, and takes up a lot less space.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If you only use it for iplayer, you could buy a now TV box for £15. You can watch all terrestrial catch up TV services, you have a proper remote control, and takes up a lot less space.?

Actually XP is not completely obsolete - millions of users out there still using it.
  • starry_runestarry_rune Posts: 9,006
    Forum Member
    How would I connect a laptop designed for Windows 2000 / XP to wifi?
  • StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How would I connect a laptop designed for Windows 2000 / XP to wifi?
    You can start by creating a new thread :)
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sexbomb wrote: »
    Will it work on today's modern computers?

LOL, windows Xp will not even install on my computer for some reason, so I canm not see windows 95 doing it. Then you need drivers.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    LOL, windows Xp will not even install on my computer for some reason, so I canm not see windows 95 doing it. Then you need drivers.

95 used very basic drivers compared to today. VMware player will eadily handle them.
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,414
    Forum Member
    If you only use it for iplayer, you could buy a now TV box for £15. You can watch all terrestrial catch up TV services, you have a proper remote control, and takes up a lot less space.?

Actually XP is not completely obsolete - millions of users out there still using it.

I assume that the updates included the monthly Malicious Software Removal Tool which is surprising since I thought that Microsoft were going to end that service in spring this year. Perhaps they've kept these updates going because they still feel that there are so many XP machines still out there which could serve as a malware reinfection base for the more current versions of Windows.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I assume that the updates included the monthly Malicious Software Removal Tool which is surprising since I thought that Microsoft were going to end that service in spring this year. Perhaps they've kept these updates going because they still feel that there are so many XP machines still out there which could serve as a malware reinfection base for the more current versions of Windows.

Has anybody ever actually used the MS tool?
  • PsychoTherapistPsychoTherapist Posts: 2,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to run 95B on a couple of 486 computers, never the first 2 editions. It was a good OS for it's time. Those 486 systems are still working, but in storage and now running NT 4.0 instead, for better stability. ;)

I always preferred the enhancements made by the integration of IE with Windows Explorer, starting with IE 4 and/or Windows 95C. Windows Explorer was much more user friendly in it's IE-integrated incarnation.
  • StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It runs in the background I think. I've seen it only once, finding malware during an OS upgrade.
  • hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Missed the birthday but it had a feature which Microsoft had to put back on Windows 10 :D
  • bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I still use a Windows 98SE machine that is running software and hardware that won't run on current PCs - it was Windows 95 but I upgraded it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stig wrote: »
    It runs in the background I think. I've seen it only once, finding malware during an OS upgrade.

I suppose I could have googled that but even I'm lazy from time to time.
    Thanks.
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,414
    Forum Member

People tend not to have any choice because it gets automatically downloaded and then automatically runs in the background. It can be manually run in short scan or complete scan mode by going to C: > Windows > System32 and clicking on the MRT icon. Alternatively, it can be manually downloaded from here http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/malicious-software-removal-tool-details.aspx and then run.

They quite rightly say that, "This tool is not a replacement for an anti-virus product. To help protect your computer, you should use an anti-virus product".