Options

Anyone taken Metformin?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 564
Forum Member
✭✭
Been prescribed Metformin and wandered if anyone has ever taken it and what experiences they've had with it.
Been on it two days and already had sickness and another unpleasant side effect (too horrible to mention!).
Any advice?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If the other unpleasant reactions is changing your sheets 3 or 4 times in one night I found this fairly annoying, like a brown Niagara it was.

I'm now on a slow release version which isn't quite so bad.
  • Options
    mozamoza Posts: 1,418
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Take it with or after food, it helps. I had similar side effects (not quite to the point of changing the bedsheets, though!) and they do ease as your body adapts. I was fine within a few days.

If they continue, speak to your GP - mine told me if they didn't ease, half my dosage for a bit, then increase it. I'm on 2 x 500 mg daily, and have been for almost 18 months.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,168
    Forum Member
    im type 1 diabetic, but was given metformin to help with pcos....i lasted about a week on it, couldnt stand the sickness. your meant to build up the dosage slowly.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 122
    Forum Member
    I'm on it for pcos and had to titrate the meds up one tablet a week over 3 weeks and have with food. I was pretty queasy for the 1st 10 days but fine now
  • Options
    Forum Member
    oh and would advise not having it in conjunction with a high fat diet and/or M&S semi dried apricots - really not good - trust me!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    oh and would advise not having it in conjunction with a high fat diet and/or M&S semi dried apricots - really not good - trust me!
  • Options
    scorpio manscorpio man Posts: 4,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been on 800mg three times a day for the last two years and have had no "tummy" problems whatsoever.
  • Options
    ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've been on 3x500mg a day since Feb for type II diabetes - I was warned of the side effects but aside from the occasional bout of feeling a bit queasy (but no actual sickness) I've been fine.
    I'd persevere for a few weeks if I were you, OP, but then if its still bad see about getting some alternative meds.