Options

Stephen's made me realise. We need to take religion more seriously in the UK

Captain BirdseiCaptain Birdsei Posts: 1,409
Forum Member
✭✭✭
As a nation of mostly Christians, a predominantly Christian country we need to start taking our faith more seriously. I was Christened into the church as a baby and used to go to church with my parents, but I haven't been in years. Last time I went was on Christmas Eve mass about 10 years ago. It was a lovely warm experience. I think I need to get back into religion/faith have a good read of the Bible and say my Prayers. We all need to.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    cloudycloudy Posts: 3,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm more than happy being a non believer

I also think the world in general would of been a far nicer place if religion had never been invented
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,497
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Absolutely, we need to take religion more seriously - as a threat to the future progress of the human race.

Christians are (thankfully) a minority. We are predominantly atheists in the UK, thank God ;)
  • Options
    ArtymagsArtymags Posts: 18,136
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Speak for yourself.

I don't need to!

And I don't want to either.

I don't need an imaginary friend, thank you very much!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Either you get right with the Lord, or the joke's on you bro."
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don`t want anyones beliefs forced onto me. That includes yours!
  • Options
    amelie74amelie74 Posts: 9,279
    Forum Member
    You don't have to be religious to be a good person.
  • Options
    ArtymagsArtymags Posts: 18,136
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "Either you get right with the Lord, or the joke's on you bro."
    There IS no "Lord" ! :rolleyes:
  • Options
    puddytatpuddytat Posts: 6,351
    Forum Member
    If Stephen is an example a of practising Christian I'll avoid it thanks.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 50
    Forum Member
    What a load of codswallop. :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cloudy wrote: »

I also think the world in general would of been a far nicer place if religion had never been invented

Amen.
  • Options
    RedmondRedmond Posts: 19,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Err no. I don't mind Stephen, I find him entertaining to watch, but his preaching is not one of his likable aspects.

One of the nice things about this country, and there aren't many, is that we don't have religion shoved down our throats like in the US.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

People will always find something to fight about wether religion exists or not. Humans are just belligerent creatures

(I'm an atheist btw)
  • Options
    rufusrufusrufusrufus Posts: 988
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As a nation of mostly Christians, a predominantly Christian country we need to start taking our faith more seriously. I was Christened into the church as a baby and used to go to church with my parents, but I haven't been in years. Last time I went was on Christmas Eve mass about 10 years ago. It was a lovely warm experience. I think I need to get back into religion/faith have a good read of the Bible and say my Prayers. We all need to.

Thoughts?

Jesus Christ, Are you being serious?
  • Options
    crisis3crisis3 Posts: 2,849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No we don't. I gave up imaginery friends when I was 6 (I threw the awkward sod under a train).
  • Options
    trollfacetrollface Posts: 13,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As a nation of mostly Christians, a predominantly Christian country we need to start taking our faith more seriously.

According to the latest surveys, 48% of British people identify as Christian. So that's not a nation of mostly Christians.
  • Options
    Lady DynorodLady Dynorod Posts: 1,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We do need to take it more seriously. We ought to bulldoze all the churches, mosques, synagogues and the rest of them...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    trollface wrote: »
    According to the latest surveys, 48% of British people identify as Christian. So that's not a nation of mostly Christians.

It's a lot more people than that. trust me.
  • Options
    dancing ledgedancing ledge Posts: 13,902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm a Christian. I find it hard to listen to him.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The sole purpose of organised religion is to prevent humanity bettering itself by making people emotionally weak and self-absorbed and as such is a grotesque sickness we can do without. Just my view.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Redmond wrote: »
    Err no. I don't mind Stephen, I find him entertaining to watch, but his preaching is not one of his likable aspects.

One of the nice things about this country, and there aren't many, is that we don't have religion shoved down our throats like in the US.

Ummmm, look at the UK news every day, there is always a story with religion as a mention, and usually Islam, both good and bad press, but the bad press tends to be on the front pages. And what about Northern Ireland - Christianity is still predominant there, in the news and influential on the government, legal system, and so on.
  • Options
    sutiesutie Posts: 32,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Thoughts?

Wouldn't it have been every bit as warm and lovely an experience without the added superstition though?

We don't really need to believe in an unproven being to be nice to each other and feel good about it do we?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 50
    Forum Member
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

COULD NOT AGREE MORE, RELIGION IS AN OBSCENITY.

I say quite deliberately that the Christian religion, as organized in its Churches, has been and still is the principal enemy of moral progress in the world.
    Bertrand Russell
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 201
    Forum Member

Thoughts?

I did find some statistics a few years ago suggesting that practicing Christians in Britain were as low as 4%.

http://www.adherents.com/largecom/com_atheist.html suggests that atheists/agnostics make up 31-44% of Brits.

http://www.statistics.gov.uk/census2001/profiles/commentaries/ethnicity.asp

There are 37.3 million people in England and Wales who state their religion as Christian. The percentage of Christians is similar between the two countries but the proportion of people who follow other religions is 6.0 per cent in England compared with 1.5 per cent in Wales.

In England, 3.1 per cent of the population state their religion as Muslim (0.7 per cent in Wales), making this the most common religion after Christianity.

For other religions, 1.1 per cent in England and 0.2 per cent in Wales are Hindu, 0.7 per cent in England and 0.1 per cent in Wales are Sikh, 0.5 per cent in England and 0.1 per cent in Wales are Jewish and 0.3 per cent in England and 0.2 per cent in Wales are Buddhist.

In England and Wales 7.7 million people state they have no religion (14.6 per cent in England and 18.5 per cent in Wales).

So indeed, the majority going by the 2001 census would put Christians as a majority and non-belief as a large minority.
  • Options
    Lady DynorodLady Dynorod Posts: 1,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    also the catholic church do like to have a lot of sex with children