Options

Unencrypted Virgin media channels

Hi, can someone please list the channels on virgin media that are unencrypted (ones that are not on freeview HD)

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    NEWLINEtvNEWLINEtv Posts: 5,420
    Forum Member
    dij wrote: »
    Hi, can someone please list the channels on virgin media that are unencrypted (ones that are not on freeview HD)

Thanks!

You've lost me, a channel list can be found on the VM website.
  • Options
    c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are no unencrypted digital channels, AFAIK even 5 terrestrial channels are encrypted and you need an authorised STB and card.

Good news is that any sort of VM subscription I believe comes with M TV package which is roughly equivlent to freeview plus a few things.

Also in some areas they are still sending analogue signal down the cable so you can plug the cable into your TV and pick up basic channels.
  • Options
    yorksdaveyorksdave Posts: 3,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    c4rv wrote: »
    There are no unencrypted digital channels, AFAIK even 5 terrestrial channels are encrypted and you need an authorised STB and card.

Good news is that any sort of VM subscription I believe comes with M TV package which is roughly equivlent to freeview plus a few things.

Also in some areas they are still sending analogue signal down the cable so you can plug the cable into your TV and pick up basic channels.

When I first had Yorkshire Cable, I could tune by Analogue TV directly to some of the cable channels
  • Options
    c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yorksdave wrote: »
    When I first had Yorkshire Cable, I could tune by Analogue TV directly to some of the cable channels

And in some areas you still can, though I think they guarantee getting the teresterial analogue channels, any thing else is dependant on the subscribers in that area, I did read they still have people on analogue systems ! However they are planning on switching off the analogue network to make more space for other services.

This is a bit old but still in progress I believe.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/digitaltv/news/a95712/virgin-begins-analogue-cable-switch-off.html
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 234
    Forum Member
    Good stuff, thanks all!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,503
    Forum Member
    There are a number of unencrypted channels currently. Generally the terrestrial ones and a few extra. Pull the card out of your box to check the full list.

Having said that VM do not provide a subscription free service like Freeview or free to air satellite.
  • Options
    RichardcoulterRichardcoulter Posts: 30,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dij wrote: »

Thanks!

This is the list before the introduction of Nagra 3. I believe that since the new encryption ITV2+1 ITV3+1 ITV4+1 and an extra shopping channel (Ideal World?) are now also available.

BBC1
    BBC2
    ITV
    C4
    C5
    BBC3
    BBC4
    BBC News
    CBBC
    Cbeebies
    Price Drop TV
    All Radio Stations

As you can see, it's less than DTT Freeview offers and there isn't much on offer that Freeview doesn't provide. It is, however, useful for some people. I have a disabled friend with no TV aerial who only uses BBC1, BBC News and radio 4, so it suits him fine.
  • Options
    TheBillyTheBilly Posts: 5,514
    Forum Member
    BBC Parliament is unencrypted too. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 234
    Forum Member
    Super.
  • Options
    camajcamaj Posts: 817
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I tried this myself recently because I have a digital TV but no ariel lead but I do have a VM box and cable. I thought there must be a problem because you can get ITV2+1 but not ITV2. Seems like that's how it's supposed to be but it's a bit strange. They should at least unencrypt everything you can get on Freeview.
  • Options
    Ernie_CErnie_C Posts: 2,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure why there is any ligitimate reason to need to know the answer to this but it is easy to find out. Remove your N3 card from your Virgin Media STB and you will find out.
  • Options
    RichardcoulterRichardcoulter Posts: 30,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ernie_C wrote: »
    I'm not sure why there is any ligitimate reason to need to know the answer to this but it is easy to find out. Remove your N3 card from your Virgin Media STB and you will find out.

Good idea, that is a simple way to check.