LG Nexus 4 officially announced

Comments

• Options
    Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :eek::eek::eek:

Mine says estimated 13th Feb.

That's when my bumper's due....but someone did apparently get theirs the next day....:eek:
  • Options
    jonner101jonner101 Posts: 3,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mine was delivered today.

The trouble is I'm away from home this week so won't get to play with it until Sunday

:eek:
  • Options
    flynnflynn Posts: 903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That's what it said for my bumper too - just got the "order shipped" email :D
  • Options
    StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    I was gonna order the bumper but does it protect the back as well or just the sides?
  • Options
    carguy143carguy143 Posts: 2,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stiggles wrote: »
    I was gonna order the bumper but does it protect the back as well or just the sides?

It's meant to stick out over the front and rear of the phone ever so slightly so i should imagine it protects the lot in terms of corner impacts. I'm hoping mine is waiting for me at home tonight so i will update you when i can/
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,415
    Forum Member

so does mine , paymenthasnt been taken either ...........
    jonner101 wrote: »
    Mine was delivered today.

The trouble is I'm away from home this week so won't get to play with it until Sunday

:eek:

you ordered it when exactly ?? ......
  • Options
    swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
    Forum Member
    Zack06 wrote: »
    Congratulations....another poster got it delivered in 1 day so you may have it fairly quickly...:p
    Scotty2012 wrote: »
    You have made a wise choice.
    Haha! Join the club.

I feel I will miss two things big time though amoled screen and note size - but if that is the case I will get note 2 after MWC when it is bound to come down in price
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 166
    Forum Member
    Ordered today, ETA 13th Feb
  • Options
    Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    swordman wrote: »
    I feel I will miss two things big time though amoled screen and note size - but if that is the case I will get note 2 after MWC when it is bound to come down in price

Trust me, you won't really miss AMOLED, the display on the Nexus 4 is very impressive and sharper. But coming from a Note might be a different story...:p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    b1ackb1rd wrote: »
    Ordered today, ETA 13th Feb

Just checked my order and it says shipped , ordered yesterday , on nights tonight though , so you can g'tee I will miss the delivery :mad:
  • Options
    jonner101jonner101 Posts: 3,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    so does mine , paymenthasnt been taken either ...........

you ordered it when exactly ?? ......

Kept refreshing the page and hit the purchase button a few seconds after 3pm. crashed on the first attempt but finally went through.

Payment won't be taken until the order is shipped but they will have put a pre-auth on your card
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It's showing shipped now , can't check the tracking number onTNT yet though ......
  • Options
    cribologycribology Posts: 1,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's showing shipped now , can't check the tracking number onTNT yet though ......
    Same here :). But I still like using my SGS2. :cry:

Will I have to change the size of my sim card?
  • Options
    c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ordered yesterday at around 15:15. Delivery estimate is 13th Feb. Oh well, its for the mrs so it will be her valentines gift, lol

Next question, has anybody tried one of those cheap sim cutters off ebay ?
  • Options
    GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    c4rv wrote: »
    Ordered yesterday at around 15:15. Delivery estimate is 13th Feb. Oh well, its for the mrs so it will be her valentines gift, lol

I used one of those cheap cutters and it worked a treat.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    c4rv wrote: »

Check again , it should say shipped now going by my order .....
  • Options
    swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
    Forum Member
    Zack06 wrote: »
    Trust me, you won't really miss AMOLED, the display on the Nexus 4 is very impressive and sharper. But coming from a Note might be a different story...:p

Not so sure never seen an LCD screen I've really liked and owned a good few, only ones I found OK were Sony bravia ones so we shall see
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Just checked and my order is showing on the TNT website :)
  • Options
    slick1twoslick1two Posts: 2,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ok my thoughts on the N4 After playing around with it today and all I can say is WOW! People said it was good, I've seen it on video reviews, and the specs suggest a very powerful device. Let me tell you, you don't really know how good it is until you have it in your hands. Totally blew me away! And many friends at work were loving the feel and the finish on it.

No way does it look or perform like a sub £300 phone (which technically it isn't, o course google aren't making big profits on it) but it totally took me by surprise. So much so that I was thinking Blackberry Z10, or the upcoming HTC M7. Let me say this right now! Those phones are no longer on my radar. Android certainly has come on leaps and bounds. Remember I am coming from a Desire HD, so I skipped the dual core generation, so for me it's a big leap.

Where to begin, the screen, well, it's absolutely gorgeous and pin sharp. Natural colours nicely saturated, vibrant, but not overly saturated like AMOLED displays tend to be (my personal preference) Black levels are great, you really do feel you got a sharp HD screen on this phone, there is so much pop to it when you crank up the brightness, amazing!

Resolution and pixel density even at 326 (think i got that right if i remember correctly) perfect more than enough, and there is no hint of pixels when zooming in on web pages etc. The screen is responsive to touch, buttery smooth as you glide your finger over it. LG/google totally nailed it with the screen. Yes 1080p monsters coming out shortly, but come on! 720p over a sub 5 inch screen is still plenty! don't ever obsess with the rat race,it happens with all tech, like cameras and the megapixel race, PCs with the clock speed race (at least in the pentium/AMD battles. Don't fall for it, this screen rocks! and will still hold it's own when the new phones are out. Bare in mind what you are paying here.

The 2GB of ram really turns the phone in to a multitasking powerhouse. As I was transfering my apps from google account to the phone, over 3g as well, and I was still able to browse around the phone, surf the web with no lag, albeit is a slight stutter when an app was installing but of course that's gonna need some CPU muscle, but it was slight and minimal and that was when I had a few other things going on at the same time. Switching apps is easy with the third button along you get your list of running apps just click to open or slide across to close, very nice and easy to do, and doesn't take a second. A lot was made of the BB flow experience, which is petty decent way to multitask, but google have got it right here too, you can still flow pretty well from app to app. At one point I had around 10 apps open and the phone was still sailing along without breaking sweat. Going in and out of apps is greased lightning!

The Browser, you get Google Chrome as the default, it's pretty quick, but it's not that smooth whilst scrolling around. Installed Opera mini which I had on my Desire HD and it's very slick. Tried a few others, Maxthon, Dolphin, UGC, each have their pros and cons, so i guess it's just about what you like when it comes to browsers. But load time for web pages is lightning fast.

So just to sum up really, it's a fine piece of craftsmanship, both on the hardware and the software side with lots of polish on both fronts. Not tried out some of the other features yet, NFC, Android Beam, Google Now, or the camera (but found I can swipe across straight to the camera from the lock screen! that's pretty awesome!) and i'm still yet to really customize the home screen to my liking. Although Default Jellybean isn't too shabby looking and finally no bloaty skin slowing things down! This is pure google, this is how Android should be! Had an update pop up for 4.2.1 so I'm bang up to date! No waiting around is such a good thing! When google drop the update, you will catch it! No waiting on phone makers and no waiting on networks.

Conclusion, DO NOT HESITATE TO BUY THE N4. At this price it's an absolute bargain. And to get the pure google experience on a phone with outstanding specs and design, it really is a no brainer.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Should find out for myself later today hopefully :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    slick1two wrote: »
    Ok my thoughts on the N4 After playing around with it today and all I can say is WOW! People said it was good, I've seen it on video reviews, and the specs suggest a very powerful device. Let me tell you, you don't really know how good it is until you have it in your hands. Totally blew me away! And many friends at work were loving the feel and the finish on it.

No way does it look or perform like a sub £300 phone (which technically it isn't, o course google aren't making big profits on it) but it totally took me by surprise. So much so that I was thinking Blackberry Z10, or the upcoming HTC M7. Let me say this right now! Those phones are no longer on my radar. Android certainly has come on leaps and bounds. Remember I am coming from a Desire HD, so I skipped the dual core generation, so for me it's a big leap.

Where to begin, the screen, well, it's absolutely gorgeous and pin sharp. Natural colours nicely saturated, vibrant, but not overly saturated like AMOLED displays tend to be (my personal preference) Black levels are great, you really do feel you got a sharp HD screen on this phone, there is so much pop to it when you crank up the brightness, amazing!

Resolution and pixel density even at 326 (think i got that right if i remember correctly) perfect more than enough, and there is no hint of pixels when zooming in on web pages etc. The screen is responsive to touch, buttery smooth as you glide your finger over it. LG/google totally nailed it with the screen. Yes 1080p monsters coming out shortly, but come on! 720p over a sub 5 inch screen is still plenty! don't ever obsess with the rat race,it happens with all tech, like cameras and the megapixel race, PCs with the clock speed race (at least in the pentium/AMD battles. Don't fall for it, this screen rocks! and will still hold it's own when the new phones are out. Bare in mind what you are paying here.

The 2GB of ram really turns the phone in to a multitasking powerhouse. As I was transfering my apps from google account to the phone, over 3g as well, and I was still able to browse around the phone, surf the web with no lag, albeit is a slight stutter when an app was installing but of course that's gonna need some CPU muscle, but it was slight and minimal and that was when I had a few other things going on at the same time. Switching apps is easy with the third button along you get your list of running apps just click to open or slide across to close, very nice and easy to do, and doesn't take a second. A lot was made of the BB flow experience, which is petty decent way to multitask, but google have got it right here too, you can still flow pretty well from app to app. At one point I had around 10 apps open and the phone was still sailing along without breaking sweat. Going in and out of apps is greased lightning!

The Browser, you get Google Chrome as the default, it's pretty quick, but it's not that smooth whilst scrolling around. Installed Opera mini which I had on my Desire HD and it's very slick. Tried a few others, Maxthon, Dolphin, UGC, each have their pros and cons, so i guess it's just about what you like when it comes to browsers. But load time for web pages is lightning fast.

So just to sum up really, it's a fine piece of craftsmanship, both on the hardware and the software side with lots of polish on both fronts. Not tried out some of the other features yet, NFC, Android Beam, Google Now, or the camera (but found I can swipe across straight to the camera from the lock screen! that's pretty awesome!) and i'm still yet to really customize the home screen to my liking. Although Default Jellybean isn't too shabby looking and finally no bloaty skin slowing things down! This is pure google, this is how Android should be! Had an update pop up for 4.2.1 so I'm bang up to date! No waiting around is such a good thing! When google drop the update, you will catch it! No waiting on phone makers and no waiting on networks.

Conclusion, DO NOT HESITATE TO BUY THE N4. At this price it's an absolute bargain. And to get the pure google experience on a phone with outstanding specs and design, it really is a no brainer.

It is brilliant isn't it!!

However, the one lacking thing for me is the video camera on it. The sound is awful!! I normally use my phone video camera for taking videos of geeky things like plane take offs when i'm on one. When i did about a fortnight or so ago it was terrible. It doesn't like loud sound. Not worth worrying about if you don't use it for that though!! I just bought a new Panasonic HD Camcorder for that now :D

The still camera itself is not to shabby at all. I played with the photosphere last night for the first time and it was quite cool!

All in all though, its an amazing phone. I paid £369 from the CPW as i couldn't wait as i killed my S3 and its well worth the money :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Getting all excited now , it's at my local depot :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Getting all excited now , it's at my local depot :D

Run down and get it!!!

Take it your waiting up for it coming? lol :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Stiggles wrote: »
    Run down and get it!!!

Take it your waiting up for it coming? lol :D

I would but I have lost the will to live now !! , hopefully the wife will be in when they come or it will be down to the depot tomorrow for it , mind you , I won't be able to use it till I get a micro sim or the adaptor for the nano sim I am waiting for :sleep:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 166
    Forum Member
    Bloody hell Paul, I'm getting excited for you !! ;)

My order shows pending on google wallet transaction page