Options

Big Hero 6

RAZORBACKRAZORBACK Posts: 371
Forum Member
I'm pleased to report that this more than lived up to my (rather high) expectations & ended being something really rather special.

Admittedly I did get a 'The Incredibles' flavoured flashback now & then but this film definitely had it's own tale to tell (which occasionally went to some relatively dark places) plus a genuine ace up it's sleeve with the character Baymax.

The animation was top notch, the story moved along at an enjoyably brisk pace and the characters were all relatively three dimensional (no pun intended) & likeable.

Overall I thought this was a supremely entertaining animated adventure and it did more than enough to get a 9/10 from me...

Comments

• Options
    Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yeah I've been hearing good things about this .
  • Options
    MotthusMotthus Posts: 7,280
    Forum Member
    When is this being released in the UK? As wasn't in released in the US a while back so it will properly be on Blu Ray in the states by the time we get it in the cinema in the UK!
  • Options
    RAZORBACKRAZORBACK Posts: 371
    Forum Member
    Motthus wrote: »
    When is this being released in the UK? As wasn't in released in the US a while back so it will properly be on Blu Ray in the states by the time we get it in the cinema in the UK!
    There were paid preview screenings today but it goes on general release at the end of this month...
  • Options
    Esot-ericEsot-eric Posts: 1,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's a screener floating about. Just finished watching it and found it really enjoyable.

I don't usually rate Disney animations very highly but with this and Frozen i'm actually eager to see what they do next.
  • Options
    InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Weird. As far as I can see this is the only thread about Big Hero 6 and no one has posted in it since the film was released!

Saw it yesterday. Absolutely stunning animation, the city of San Fransokyo looks so real you could live there, and the story is both exciting and emotionally affecting. Thoroughly recommended.
  • Options
    Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,328
    Forum Member
    I've no doubt they know what they're doing, but Disney do seem to have taken a surprisingly 'see how it goes' approach rather than push it to the hilt.

Anyway, it's quietely done solid business so far - $512m worldwide and with a few major markets still to play (inc. China), it should get over $600m. That's better than Godzilla, btw - and look at the hype that got.

Baymax & co. should be up for another I imagine.
  • Options
    LudwigVonDrakeLudwigVonDrake Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Inkblot wrote: »
    Weird. As far as I can see this is the only thread about Big Hero 6 and no one has posted in it since the film was released!
    I think that's more a reflection on the slower pace of the movies sub-forum than the performance of the film.

I posted a thread ages ago about the film (before the teaser was released) and no one commentated.
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think that's more a reflection on the slower pace of the movies sub-forum than the performance of the film.

I think most who did see it shared their reactions in the Last Movie You Watched? thread. At least ten people (myself included) mentioned seeing Big Hero 6 in that thread.

That's the best and worst about that thread. It's great as we get to hear what everyone's seen, but it's also terrible as it means not all have the time or inclination to repeat their reactions for individual-film threads. Them's the breaks, I suppose.
  • Options
    InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Takae wrote: »
    I think most who did see it shared their reactions in the Last Movie You Watched? thread. At least ten people (myself included) mentioned seeing Big Hero 6 in that thread.

That's the best and worst about that thread. It's great as we get to hear what everyone's seen, but it's also terrible as it means not all have the time or inclination to repeat their reactions for individual-film threads. Them's the breaks, I suppose.

Fair enough. Thanks to the forum's search system being broken I had to manually search for Big Hero 6 in thread titles and then posted in the most recent I could find. I might look in the Last Movie... thread to see what people thought but it's hard work without a search function.
  • Options
    pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Saw it last weekend, I have to say I quite enjoyed it. Baymax is of course the best character in the film and the entire thing has a bit of a "Short Circuit" vibe from it. I'm also not ashamed to admit that I had a tear or two rolling down my face at two separate parts of the film. I'm a softie.

Thoroughly enjoyed it, I'll be there on opening night if they make a sequel.

<fist bump> Blalalalalalala!
  • Options
    NailzNailz Posts: 3,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really liked this. Baymax is great.
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Inkblot wrote: »
    Fair enough. Thanks to the forum's search system being broken I had to manually search for Big Hero 6 in thread titles and then posted in the most recent I could find. I might look in the Last Movie... thread to see what people thought but it's hard work without a search function.

Ah, I forgot the search function is crap at the moment. I'll repost it here then:
    Big Hero 6 (2015) - me: 6/10. Son (9): 10/10. Daughter (15): 10/10.

With my brain at the door, I found it plain good fun. My kids loved it to bits.

My comments on the film's visual and written language aspects (I'm using spoiler tags to save space and to avoid spoilers):
    I was impressed by the film's attention to details. The film was quick in making clear that Hiro's name is spelt ヒロ (hiro, pronounced as hero). This is clearly done to show that the film is going with the western pronunciation (he-row) instead of the usual Japanese pronunciation (hi-roh = hi as in 'him' or 'hip'). Clever move.

I also spotted a couple of famous Japanese cartoonists' names in some building signs. The ones I spotted so far: Naoki Urasawa, Katsuhiro Otomo and Hayao Miyazaki. I laughed when I saw a character (山) on the back of the big bot-fight player. His name is Yama, which is 山 (mountain, heap, hill, pile, mine). Great visual pun.

Same with Akuma Island (Devil Island) and Go Go Tomago's colour outfit and ability (tomago = tamago = egg, and Go Go = ike ike = speedy, dash, energetic drive). The name Wasabi (horseradish) makes a great choice, too, because wasabi is associated with big/large and sharp.

So many more instances like those throughout the film, which made it fun for me. I admit it did distract me from the story, but not so much that I lost track.

The Big Hero 6 team clearly did their homework. They deserve 10/10 for that.

Not sure if it was intentional, but I could see Naoki Urasawa's influence in various character designs. They resemble Urasawa's iconic characters. Such as Master Keaton (Wasabi and Fred), Kenzo Tenma (Tadashi), Kenji (Hiro) and Gesicht (professor). I found this disconcerting yet fun.

Baymax was indeed adorable. :D

I should point out that my grade has a lot to do with my aversion to animated films. I generally don't enjoy watching anything in this medium. So with this in mind, my grade is actually quite high. It'd be 8/10 if it wasn't for my aversion.
  • Options
    MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,543
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Loved, loved, loved, LOVED this film. Hands down one of the best films of the year for me and one of the best animated films i've seen in a very long time. The screening i went to surprisingly mostly had adults and less kids. Sadly not getting a lot of hype despite being a Disney production but this needs to be seen.

Such a refreshing film to watch, just a complete joy from start to finish. I was surprised how much it moved me. Great characters, great storyline, great colours, great animation with comedy, sentiment and a whole load of fun!

Baymax is great (and adorable!) - i WANT one!!!

Winning the Oscar for Best Animated Film - amazing! Deserved. Disney knocked it out of the park, well done! I could watch this again and again :)

Should also mention the short film Feast that was shown before BH6 - fantastic! I love Disney's short films, they're so good. This one was no exception.

Did anyone catch after-credits scene? ;-)
  • Options
    AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    I saw this on the day of release and absolutely loved it to pieces. This was in spite of the fact that its release in the USA nearly five months ago meant that many points of interest in the plot were utterly spoiled for me before I had the chance to see it. Seriously, in this well-connected time of instant news and such, distributors need to work harder to reduce gaps like that. I was tempted to pirate the film beforehand, stopping only because I wanted to witness the animation properly the first time I saw it. Were this a live action story, I can't say my morals would have been enough to stop me. How much money could they be losing to a younger audience with Facebook and Tumblr that ends up losing interest after the whole movie is shared online?!

Back to the film though it was brilliantly done. I think the other heroes besides Hiro and Baymax could have used a bit more characterisation but then there were a lot to get through. I loved the character of Aunt Cass though, and also wish we'd seen more of her relationship with Hiro. But yes...animation superb, story good, characters mostly okay. This deserves all the hype it gets and more (although I prefer How To Train Your Dragon 2 if we're talking about that list of award nominees) and is much better than the overhyped Frozen.

I'd love a sequel and there's room for one, but as part of the Classics range I do wonder if it'll get one. Perhaps Disney should start being more inclusive of sequels again, if they're actually willing to invest in them properly (lets forget the majority of those dreadful direct-to-video sequels of the 90's/00's. With Marvel films like BH6 warranting sequels, and films like Wreck-It Ralph having the scope for follow-ups too I wouldn't mind seeing follow ups to some of these.

And I rather suspect that Frozen may get the live-action treatment in years to come as well - so long as it's more along the lines of what they envisioned for The Snow Queen originally I'd actually quite like that. Disney have a lot going for them right now, it seems.